PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Bring A Trailer (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852122)

tigergto 07-27-2021 06:53 PM

Bring A Trailer

I just started watching BAT about a month ago. In my opinion it’s a good place to sell a car, but not so good if you’re looking to buy. It seems the bidding really takes off. What are others opinion on this.

vertigto 07-27-2021 07:09 PM

Depends on the vehicle. I've seen a number of No Reserve auctions go for much below what I thought it should. Also, BaT tends to restrict how high a reserve you can set, so that can benefit the buyer.

tom s 07-27-2021 07:40 PM

I tried to list my 63 Tempest convert and they refused my reserve.Sold it for a lot more than my reserve elsewhere.Tom

John V. 07-27-2021 10:07 PM

I started watching auctions there about 2 years ago. I think they cater to Porsches, Ferraris, various odd ball makes, unusual models, and so on. If you like the really unique, you might find it there. My sense is that the mass produced US models generally get less love than the unique stuff.

A fair no. of GTOs show up, I pay attention to the '64s. Many fall short of what I figure they should bid to but some do pull pretty strong numbers. Hard to say why.

Doesn't seem to be any advantage one way or the other. A buyer might find a bargain there, other times the seller will do very well. Deep pockets guys show up on both sides of the sale so no predicting how a given auction will go.

Can be fun at the end if 2 bidders do battle.

I enjoy reading the comments. More entertaining than the usual TV auctions.

goatless 07-28-2021 08:14 AM

As others have said, it really depends on the auction. I won a no reserve auction last month at a price that was well below where it should have been. I was high bidder on a couple of others that didn't meet reserve, but couldn't make a deal with the seller.

Their listings are very Porsche heavy, but that's because they're the hot commodity at the moment. Trucks are also very hot on there right now- and not just the one's you'd expect. I saw a basic 1990 2wd, automatic, regular cab Toyota bring $30k!
I like some of the oddball cars that you see on there from time to time. I was bidding on a super charged, 4 speed, Studabaker GT a while back. It ended up going just a little over the max bid I had set for myself.

As for the commenters- some seem like they must spend their entire day just commenting on there. Lots of junk comments. Some are funny. Some are interesting. The ones I don't like are the twats that demand more info or pick a car apart with absolutely no intention of bidding.

Below is my "bargain" Lotus Excel that I bought through BAT.

https://www.lotustalk.com/cdn-cgi/im...-jpeg.1290846/

66sprint6 07-28-2021 08:43 AM

I really enjoy getting my daily email from BAT and Barn Finds. There seems to be some good deals here and there. With the high-end stuff I’m truly a spectator, but the pricing looks to be fairly balanced in my mind.

mgarblik 07-28-2021 09:02 AM

I find BAT to be fun and interesting, although I have not been a buyer as of yet. One of my best friends is a frequent seller on BAT and has done very well on a few cars and just OK on some others, but sold them all. It's a great place to sell Japanese 1980's and 1990's sporty cars right now. Like a Honda S2000 bringing six figures?? But yet they do on there. American muscle cars seem to be all over the map, which is one reason I enjoy watching. Like a real Hemi Belvedere bringing only high 30's about a year ago. Also, as others have mentioned, I enjoy reading the comments. It reminds me of one of my favorite old TV shows, Mystery Science Theater 3000. You are watching things going on and free to comment with no real attachment. Kind of fun.

erliabol 07-28-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goatless (Post 6267767)
As others have said, it really depends on the auction. I won a no reserve auction last month at a price that was well below where it should have been. I was high bidder on a couple of others that didn't meet reserve, but couldn't make a deal with the seller.

Their listings are very Porsche heavy, but that's because they're the hot commodity at the moment. Trucks are also very hot on there right now- and not just the one's you'd expect. I saw a basic 1990 2wd, automatic, regular cab Toyota bring $30k!
I like some of the oddball cars that you see on there from time to time. I was bidding on a super charged, 4 speed, Studabaker GT a while back. It ended up going just a little over the max bid I had set for myself.

As for the commenters- some seem like they must spend their entire day just commenting on there. Lots of junk comments. Some are funny. Some are interesting. The ones I don't like are the twats that demand more info or pick a car apart with absolutely no intention of bidding.

Below is my "bargain" Lotus Excel that I bought through BAT.

https://www.lotustalk.com/cdn-cgi/im...-jpeg.1290846/

The yellow Pontiac is lovely!

J GLASGO 07-28-2021 02:08 PM

I have been turned away 3 times. Every vehicle sold for my price anyway.

goatless 07-28-2021 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erliabol (Post 6267800)
The yellow Pontiac is lovely!

Thanks! That one's mine, too. I got it a few years ago from the guy that owns the Can Am.

goatless 07-28-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J GLASGO (Post 6267872)
I have been turned away 3 times. Every vehicle sold for my price anyway.

I assume because you wanted a reserve they thought was too high? They want to keep the reserves low so that they get a high sell through rate. They don't understand that your stuff is the cream of the crop!

72projectbird 07-28-2021 03:05 PM

I was about to list a 73 Brewster on BAT back in February. Took 125 pics and 3 videos, wrote up a nice detailed description, and showed all documentation. I asked for a reserve of 32k (which I thought was very fair), but they wanted it at 28k. Not too far off, but it just felt like they wanted to come up with the number, not me.

I listed it on a Facebook muscle car page and had it sold in 2 hours for a considerable amount more than my BAT reserve.

tigergto 07-28-2021 04:27 PM

I must admit, I’ve become addicted to watching the last 5-10 minutes of certain cars and reading the comments.

98 SNAKE EATER 07-29-2021 12:58 AM

I've been scoping out BAT for a while now, but only registered recently to bid on this 70 T/A that was local

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rd-trans-am-8/

I actually bid well above the winning bid, but due to some technical glitch, it didn't go through

BAT reached out to me after I sent them a screen shot video of my bidding and claimed it was an issue with my local clock not being in sync with their servers (whatever that means)

Still kinda bummed about the loss, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be