PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   '67 326 Auto Firebird Convertible and '68 4 speed OHC Sprint Firebird Convertible (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849418)

geeteeohguy 03-29-2021 02:48 PM

'67 326 Auto Firebird Convertible and '68 4 speed OHC Sprint Firebird Convertible

Hi. I am helping a family settle an estate and they need to pass along two Firebird convertibles. Both are complete, believed totally rust free (need to check the floors in the '67 on 3/31) but have been sitting in a backyard for 35 years under rotting tarps. The '67 is a medium blue car, blue/black seats, console auto. 326 2bbl. Water pump and harmonic balancer off engine. Black CA plates. The '68 is now white with a black stripe, but was originally red, has a white top, parchment interior, 4 speed and console, and has the Q-jet OHC 6 cyl. The cam is out, some other engine parts are removed. Car is complete as well. No rust, no real dents. Been sitting 35 years outside under a rotting tarp. The cars are in central CA. If there is any interest, please PM me and hopefully we can save these cars. They are solid first gen ragtops with decent chrome, good glass, etc. The owners are very reasonable. Any restorers out there interested?
Thanks.
Jeff

pontiacmark 03-29-2021 02:56 PM

A friend has a 68 Sprint FB convertible with 3 speed manual. I think only a few hundred were me with Sprint, stick, and convertible combination. I wish I could bring that one home.

geeteeohguy 03-29-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pontiacmark (Post 6237828)
A friend has a 68 Sprint FB convertible with 3 speed manual. I think only a few hundred were me with Sprint, stick, and convertible combination. I wish I could bring that one home.

Me too. This one deserves to be saved. It's a 4 speed Muncie with the Q-jet carb on the OHC. Factory red/white top/parchment interior. Would look killer done.

Jeff Hamlin 03-30-2021 06:55 AM

Jeff,
If they/you are interested I would gladly post the Firebird Sprint on our FB OHC forum.
Just need some detailed info with pics and price.
We have over 700 members and this would be a great place to list the Cammer Bird.
LMK if I can assist.
Cheers.

camerjeff 03-30-2021 10:20 AM

Also, just FYI if the transmission on the Sprint is original it will be a 4-speed Saginaw not a Muncie. But any 4-speed Sprint is a very desirable car.

Chief of the 60's 03-30-2021 10:50 AM

Several moons ago I almost bought a Sprint Convertible. It was kind of an odd car. It was a real stripper. Manual everything including the top. But it was a Sprint and had the hood tach.

Only thing that scared me away was the 3/4" thick tar dripping off the entire undercarriage. Sucker did run good though. Not one single tick out of it. Probably the quietest OHC I've ever heard.

This one listed obviously wouldn't have that issue but its at the opposite end of the country from me.

racegto65 03-30-2021 11:00 AM

PM sent.

Scarebird 03-30-2021 01:32 PM

A friend of mine just bought a 68 FB Sprint with 4 speed, look forward to tossing it on the lift and examining it.

mgarblik 03-30-2021 02:01 PM

OHC Sprint convertible would be a really neat, fun car. My very first car was a 68 Firebird OHC Sprint coupe with a 3-speed manual. Great running car. Would run right with all my friend's small V-8 cars with base 2bbl engines which was quite impressive.

geeteeohguy 03-30-2021 02:25 PM

Race GTO 65-----
I emailed you. I will be photographing the car tomorrow and getting more info. The owner aired up the tires and I can now get under it. He said the floors were solid. It still has the original black -center lug nuts on the Rally II's.....no hood tach, looks like it never had one. Has the Q-jet intake, etc. Will find out tomorrow if it has rally gauges and a posi and what trans is in it.....I assumed they all came with Muncie's. Solid car that is way too straight and complete to part out, IMO.

Stuart 03-30-2021 03:14 PM

Jay Leno is restoring a '68 Sprint convertible 4 speed, and has featured it in a couple of his garage update videos on YouTube if anyone wants inspiration. It's a pretty nice car, I think he's having the engine built by Ed Pink so it should be interesting when it's done.

I've always been intrigued by the Sprint - I looked at buying a '67 hardtop back in around 1976 or so. It was a three speed model, but it was already pretty rusty and the engine was tired, and I was still a poor college student so I passed on it.

Half-Inch Stud 03-30-2021 05:15 PM

Neat. Im done with Firebirds (had 68 & 69s), but if $600 buys one then im open to another.

Jeff Hamlin 03-30-2021 05:35 PM

Jay's '68 was just about complete upon his last blog.
Of course, he went semi "Resto-Mod" but I'm looking forward to seeing the final results.

geeteeohguy 03-31-2021 06:40 PM

After some haggling and wheeler-dealing, it looks like both Firebirds are going to be shipped back to Chicago for eventual resale. Turns out the blue car was really an original red car as well, and there was a new interior and top for it and a new top for the Sprint. Both cars were much nicer than when I first looked at them and have zero dents and zero rust. So hopefully somebody in the rust belt will appreciate them.
Thanks for the interest.
Jeff

Mrpontiac1013 04-03-2021 09:35 PM

How much for the convertibles

geeteeohguy 04-04-2021 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrpontiac1013 (Post 6239518)
How much for the convertibles

Both convertibles are no longer for sale locally and the owners are having them transported to Chicago where the market is significantly stronger.

Scarebird 04-04-2021 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dave's 68 Sprint came in.

I was surprised to see it came with limited slip. Originally a 3 speed now with 4 speed Saginaw goodness. The motor is super smooth, though exhaust is pretty stinky. Color is Autumn Bronze with a bit of patina. Power steering, manual drums, AM radio, manual top.

Drives nice, but when locking up brakes rear want to come around :eek:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1617578687

einstein 04-04-2021 07:38 PM

Should be a big "N" cast on top of the rear end center casting. Nodular 3.55.

Locking rear brake is wet shoes, either brake fluid or gear oil.

Scarebird 04-04-2021 08:20 PM

duplicate