PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   What do use for sliding under vehicle, a creeper or a ????? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849625)

ta6point6 04-06-2021 03:38 PM

What do use for sliding under vehicle, a creeper or a ?????

I like to use a old sleeping bag to throw under cars while working on them. My garage is not big enough for a lift. Well working on GMC Jimmy fuel pump it leaked gas all over the sleeping bag. I am trying to decide what to get next another sleeping bag or maybe a creeper. I have not used a creeper before but thought it might make it easier on my 50 year old body to get out from under the car. Anybody found anything better then a wheeled creeper or a thick blanket to lay down on the cold concrete?
I should just take it to a mechanic and let them change fuel pump but once they quote a price to repair:oogle:,. The cheap miser in me comes out and I can not pay someone else to change out a 100 dollar part when I can do myself.

Stuart 04-06-2021 03:40 PM

A big cardboard box flattened out. It's smooth enough to slide in and out, and when it gets dirty/oily I can toss it and find another big box that can be flattened out.

65CatCoupe 04-06-2021 03:53 PM

I got it as a gift so I use a "magic creeper". Its kinda like a sleeping bag but it tracks with you. Eventually it transfers all of the garage floor dirt to your clothes but it does make it easier to get under and out.

rustedgoat 04-06-2021 03:59 PM

Cardboard, takes up no space, easy to slide on, and free.

PunchT37 04-06-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 6240192)
A big cardboard box flattened out. It's smooth enough to slide in and out, and when it gets dirty/oily I can toss it and find another big box that can be flattened out.

Yep. That`s what I use most times.

I do have a fancy Mac Tools creeper with the adjustable head rest. But, sometimes it lifts you too close to the bottom of the car with low jack stands.

Joe's Garage 04-06-2021 04:10 PM

It depends on what we're doing and how long we plan to be under there.

Cardboard works, but we found something that lasts longer.

We have a stack of about ten discarded 4'x8' coroplast (it's like corrogated plastic cardboard) political signs. They work well to keep you off the concrete, provide some insulation from the cold and keep the dirt off your clothes. You can also clean them off before or after a repair.

For something where we will be in and out a lot, a six-wheeled plastic creeper. Creepers are nice so long as you aren't doing a repair that requires torquing bolt or nuts - we've found that the creeper just turns YOU instead, so we don't use them too often. As mentioned, they can place you too close to the bottom of the car.

If we'll be there for a while, cleaning or troubleshooting or need to tighten things back up, the coroplast signs are a better deal. We also use a folded up bath towel as a headrest if we are there for long.

A quick in-and-out, like an oil change, we use a couple big dark-colored 'bath sheets' from COSTCO that have worn enough to retire them from household duty. You can lay them out quickly, get in there to loosen the drain plug and then get back out while things drain.

The bath sheets also work well when folded into a thicker cushion under our 'vintage' knees for brakes or tar removal or whatever.

Good luck!

Sirrotica 04-06-2021 04:38 PM

I used to work on construction equipment, 99 times out of 100 on dirt. Two things I used to pickup at construction sites to lay on, were rolled rubber roofing, and foam insulation board.

Both worked well in lieu of a creeper on jobsites. The foam board was great for laying on the cold ground to keep you from laying directly on the ground in the winter. There is a little give to it also for cushioning. In the summer the rolled roofing was fine to keep you from lying on the dirt, and I just hosed it off and kept it in the truck.

On concrete I prefer a creeper with a metal frame, the plastic blow molded ones are practically worthless in my experiences.

I've always wanted to try one of those rigid plastic dog bone creepers, but I want to try one out before spending $150 on something that I don't know if it will work for me.

b-man 04-06-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 6240192)

This.

sdbob 04-06-2021 04:53 PM

I've used old rug, foam insulation, cardboard from new screen doors and I have 1/2" thick cardboard from hd delivery carton. I dont own a creeper. Working on grass ,dirt,stone just got use to cardboard.

DaleO 04-06-2021 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Funny you should ask. : ). (I finally have some time finishing up new TH400 instal).

Verdoro 68 04-06-2021 05:06 PM

Cardboard for me too.

Tom Vaught 04-06-2021 05:11 PM

I have used all 3 of the ideas mentioned above. Cardboard, Blanket, Creeper.

What ever you do, make sure that you have some GOOD fabricated wheel stands for the
front and rear of the vehicle you are working on. B-Man has posted pictures of his "wooden Jack Stands" in the past. I use his design for the Wood Stands for the 4 tires and Commercial Steel Jack Stands as 'back-up stands under the frame.

Bit I am working on a concrete floor too, Not a dirt surface. The wood stand will work on dirt IF you put a flat wood bottom on the stands to add much more surface area to support the vehicle.

Tom V.

Region Warrior 04-06-2021 05:30 PM

Used card board past 30 yrs ago. Creeper hard to keep from rolling around, even on card board.
Another plus toss it out if oil/dirt/atf gets on it.

Stuart 04-06-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Garage (Post 6240202)
Cardboard works, but we found something that lasts longer.

We have a stack of about ten discarded 4'x8' coroplast (it's like corrogated plastic cardboard) political signs. They work well to keep you off the concrete, provide some insulation from the cold and keep the dirt off your clothes. You can also clean them off before or after a repair.

That's a pretty good idea. They would be smoother than a piece of cardboard, plus they would resist water if the floor (or ground) is wet. I'll have to watch for one of those, although most neighborhood signs are smaller than that.

Elarson 04-06-2021 06:51 PM

Go behind Lowe's BEFORE they open in the morning and they're usually unboxing refrigerators. If you wait til the store is open, the cardboard is already in the compactor.

FWIW,
Eric

bill ryder 04-06-2021 07:27 PM

X?? for cardboard. Used it for 50+ years. Nothing better than getting the car up 24 inches and sliding under on the cool concrete and just looking around. Not much work going on. Just cleaning and looking. I have taken a nap more than once. Still livin' in the 60s. :D

"Bill"!

misterp266 04-06-2021 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Recently I’ve been using a couple of kids sledding sheets. Flat plastic sheets with hand holes in one end. Cleanable, re usable, & slippery to move on. They are made to roll up but I leave them flat.

keith k 04-06-2021 10:02 PM

Yup, cardboard for me, too.
To my wife's frustration, I refuse to put the traction enhancing sand in the epoxy garage floor paint, so that the cardboard can slide more easily :)

burd 04-06-2021 10:03 PM

I use a thing called a mechanic. Lol

MUSLCAH 04-06-2021 10:11 PM

I use cardboard ...wrapped with the foam sheeting from various new car parts...like bumper cover wraps