PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Street Demon 625 - tuning results with AFR monitor (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862022)

RAFO9A 10-05-2022 01:35 AM

Street Demon 625 - tuning results with AFR monitor

Spent the day tuning the Street Demon 625 on my ‘68 Firebird. The engine is 8.9:1 CR with a Pertronix HEI distributor (18 deg. initial + 15 deg. manifold vacuum advance). Here’s what I got today:

> 60/52 METERING RODS
> SILVER METERING ROD SPRINGS (8” VAC)
> PRIMARY JET: 78
> SECONDARY JET: 80
> IDLE MIXTURE SCREWS 2 ⅛ TURNS OUT

> IDLE VACUUM: 16” PARKED, 12.5” DRIVE
> IDLE AFR: 13.8 PARKED, 13.5 DRIVE
> IDLE RPM: 950 PARKED, 750 DRIVE

> 13.6: AFR CRUISE
> 13.3: AFR PART THROTTLE
> 12.1: AFR HEAVY THROTTLE
> 13.0: AFR W.O.T.

I have one issue with the gas pedal, - I’m not getting full motion and not getting to WOT as a result. I need to solve that problem before I can focus on the WOT AFR. I’m also thinking about trying the 58/52 metering rods to see how it affects the cruise & part throttle AFR’s.

25stevem 10-05-2022 05:41 AM

Are you running a stock air filter assy?
If not then what size air filter are you running, and is it a drop base style?

To get more throttle opening sooner with less pedal travel ( which sounds like your issue) you need to lower your cable attachment point closer to the carbs throttle shaft.

android 211 10-05-2022 09:44 AM

The cruise AFR is way too rich. Shoot for at least 15 or 16:1 at part throttle cruise in top gear.

25stevem 10-05-2022 09:55 AM

He may only be able to get to that ratio in the correct way with a lighter power piston spring seeing as what his close to full throttle ratio is.

RAFO9A 10-05-2022 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25stevem (Post 6377311)
Are you running a stock air filter assy?
If not then what size air filter are you running, and is it a drop base style?

To get more throttle opening sooner with less pedal travel ( which sounds like your issue) you need to lower your cable attachment point closer to the carbs throttle shaft.

Hey Steve. I'm using Demon's drop base air filter to get the proper clearance for the linkage. But regarding the attachment point, I was thinking going the other direction? Wouldn't I need to move the cable attachment point farther so that I get an increase in the arc?

RAFO9A 10-05-2022 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by android 211 (Post 6377359)
The cruise AFR is way too rich. Shoot for at least 15 or 16:1 at part throttle cruise in top gear.

I currently have #78 primary jets and 60/52 metering rods. The next size leaner would be 62/54 rods. That would lean the cruise & part throttle mixture by about 11%; the heavy throttle mixture would lean by about 8%. Not sure if I want to go there?

77 TRASHCAN 10-05-2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFO9A (Post 6377367)
Hey Steve. I'm using Demon's drop base air filter to get the proper clearance for the linkage. But regarding the attachment point, I was thinking going the other direction? Wouldn't I need to move the cable attachment point farther so that I get an increase in the arc?

I was recently working on my buddies 71 Chevrolet pickup. It has one of those fancy looking Edelbrock bullet top air cleaner assy's.

I do all the work on it. The pickup came this way. I got the Q-Jet dialed in with Cliffs help. I noticed that it was not getting full throttle.
Well, past about 2/3 throttle, the rod end of t h e accelerator arm was touching the underside of the air cleaner base. I ground most of the end of the a rm down, easily leaving enough metal there to support the inner hole(the one you should ONLY be using. No problem after repair.