PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interior TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   67 LeMans Seat cover install (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855639)

lemans67 12-31-2021 08:34 PM

67 LeMans Seat cover install

1 Attachment(s)
About ready to hire this out, but trying to give it another try. I have moved the listing wire some, did not see any difference. These are Legendary Rallye covers. The highlighted area does not seam to change. The cover is loose in the pic when I highlighted it. It was tight with the same spots. Is this normal with new covers? Will it go away with some use and time?

Goatracer1 12-31-2021 09:34 PM

Was the foam under the cover in good shape? If the foam is worn out the cover will never look right.

lemans67 12-31-2021 10:30 PM

New cushions. Stripped the frames, patched some springs. All new materials.

ID67goat 01-01-2022 02:19 AM

Looks like it might need a little more foam up front? Can you post pictures of the new foam?

rambow 01-06-2022 03:05 AM

You don't have the cover installed properly. I can see the front flap is not hogringed on... That should be done before you do the sides,and you work your way back on each side... It's likely screwing up the bolster tucks.

Are the side springs or edgewire corners of the spring assembly broken? If so it can cause the cover not to pull as tight as it should also.

Do you have any pics showing where you moved the listing rods to? The cover appears to be tight in the center, so they are probably ok.

Just trying to step through what you mentioned and what I can see.

lemans67 01-06-2022 10:07 AM

I had already removed most of the rings before I took the pic, so I was really just pointing out where the issue is. I had tried moving the recessed listing wires farther apart to try to tighten that area up. I should get some more time into it this weekend., so I will get more pics

rambow 01-07-2022 04:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I've done a handful of these Legendary Rallye cover sets so I went back through my pics and i didn't see any particular issues like you have, but all my pics are after i was done hogringing it all and smoothed things out....

As i was looking at the old pics, i did think of a couple questions that may have impacted your install...

How did you attach the seat bun to the spring assembly/frame?
Did you glue on muslin strips or attaching cloth of some kind onto it them to secure to the spring assembly like oem, or is yours just floating and using the cover listing sleeves attachments to hold it?

I always glue on cloth strips like oem, then use those to hold it to the frame.

Next question, what are you using in the covers listing sleeves to attach down? I can't recall what legendary puts in their sleeves for these covers, but i always remove those little cardboard tubes and slide in a metal rod. Yours don't seem to have any "waves" that indicate the cardboard tubes are still in there, so you probably already did that improvement...

Since you said you adjusted the listing rod locations, I've included a photo of where the spring side listing rods SHOULD be placed- Highlighted in green.
They should be located just to the outside edge of that row of springs on each side.
I typically hogring them to every other spring loop to keep them tight to the spring assembly so they don't lift when the covers are attached to them and pulled over the bolsters.

anyway, just some thoughts and pics, hoping to help you resolve the issue....

ZeGermanHam 01-07-2022 07:44 PM

As usual, lots of great advice and questions given by Ben/rambow. One extra question from me, which is perhaps a little too obvious and need not be asked is... You did get the rally seat foam/bun with the rally seat covers, yes? Your side bolsters do not look anywhere near as tall as the photos on Legendary's website.

I reupholstered the seats for my '66 over the summer using Legendary covers and ACI buns. I used rambow's thread as a general guide & confidence booster, and also relied heavily on the step-by-step procedures found in the video on Legendary's website: LINK

https://i.imgur.com/elPyNk1l.jpg

Mine are not the rally covers, but the process is the same.

dataway 01-08-2022 09:15 AM

Yep, first thing I wondered was if the proper Rallye cushions were used.

lemans67 01-08-2022 02:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I assume these are rallye covers and cushions. I am going to go over everything again. In these pics they are not fully ringed. I will post more pics when I get that done.

lemans67 01-08-2022 02:43 PM

The listing rods are paper coated wire.

lemans67 01-08-2022 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the foam loose on the frame

ZeGermanHam 01-08-2022 07:55 PM

Yeah, that is definitely a rally seat foam. The bolsters look so much less pronounced in the very first photo of this tread for some reason. At any rate, if you follow the steps outlined in the video I linked to above, you should be golden.

Also from my experience, the vinyl seat covers may still show some wrinkles in a few places at first once you get them fully installed. Not major wrinkles, mind you, but still. Once fully installed, I found that the vinyl really needs to be warmed up to relax the material and allow it to take the correct form. With a little bit of heat, minor wrinkles will slowly relax and go away. For one of my two buckets, I accomplished this simply by putting the seat out in the afternoon sun. Worked great, but warm sunlight may be difficult to come by this time of year. For the second of my buckets, I accomplished this task by using a heat gun very carefully. I was constantly checking the surface temp of the vinyl with my hand to make sure I didn't melt it. A safer method is to use a steamer, or if nothing else, a regular hair dryer. Very minor wrinkles will also slowly disappear after a few days as well, since the vinyl will slowly stretch and relax on its own.

Peter Serio 01-11-2022 01:13 PM

Besides what is shared in post #13 above, I would like to add that in seats I have taken apart and in some of the helpful hints on-line I am seeing a thin layer of cotton "fluff" or batting used on top of the foam, underneath the vinyl to shim up the bun to get a snug fit so the vinyl looks right.

I have also seen people use modern: they make a white spun polyester batting very similar to the fluff that is used in some pillows. People are putting that into the "V" groove where the listing wire pocket is. Same deal as before; on top of the foam pressed into the V groove. It sets in the seam underneath the vinyl to give the cover a nice taunt look and that can also help define the side bolsters.

drewm 07-12-2023 08:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Reviving an old thread...

I am doing legendary seat covers on my 66, and the legendary video shows listing wire being threaded into the front of the seat bottom. However on both seat bottoms, the front part that looks like where the listing wire would go is sewn shut. I can easily cut it and put in the wire, but wanted to make sure that it was supposed to have it prior to cutting.

rambow 07-17-2023 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewm (Post 6439690)
Reviving an old thread...

I am doing legendary seat covers on my 66, and the legendary video shows listing wire being threaded into the front of the seat bottom. However on both seat bottoms, the front part that looks like where the listing wire would go is sewn shut. I can easily cut it and put in the wire, but wanted to make sure that it was supposed to have it prior to cutting.

Correct- you will need to cut it to insert a wire rod. I usually cut it just inside of the sewn sleeves on each side, that way the stitch doesn't unravel.