PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   77-81 Firebird & Trans Am TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=441)
-   -   76 T/A complete front and rear suspension info (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850323)

tom s 05-05-2021 10:47 PM

76 T/A complete front and rear suspension info

I'm helping a friend restore and upgrade his high school car,been garaged for over 30 years.Have the engine and trans figured out but want to out complete F&R bolt in upgrade suspensions.We kind of like the Detroit Speed front but don't seem to have a complete kit for the rear.Anyone out there do something like this to their car?Tom

74Grandville 05-05-2021 11:21 PM

Looks like Detroit Speed has pretty much everything.

I’ve installed hotchkiss springs, koni classic shocks, energy suspension bushings and moog for ball joints and other parts.

I think most like the 1.25” front swaybar and 5/8” rear.

It still rides good, but is tighter then stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom s 05-06-2021 12:18 AM

Thanks,might see what Curri has for the rear.Tom

tom s 09-06-2021 08:18 PM

To bring this back up,the guy wants a semi hipo suspension BUT does not want it so stiff his wife will hate driving or riding in it.The 455 is being built now,going to run a OD auto.I told him he needs to start by picking out wheels and tires so im pushing him to get that done this week.Pretty sure coilover will be out because of the ride.Can use any help from the 2nd gen owners that have done this stuff.Car is going in the restro shop in November.Tom

autobahn 09-06-2021 11:32 PM

I installed BMR's torque arm suspension in my 79 Camaro very very happy with it my TA has a stock suspension and there is definitely is a difference in handling

78w72 09-07-2021 09:23 AM

check out PTFB, they specialize in 2nd gen firebirds & have full kits at 3 different performance levels & sell all kinds of other suspension parts for these cars. they dont have the complete bolt in frame sections but their kits are very nice.

i have their front/rear GT kit on a 72 firebird & it rides & handles great... & they are priced much better than the pother places.

Skip Fix 09-07-2021 11:57 AM

Tom what does he want for the car-go autocrossing, just good cornering? Does he want just stock type suspension upgrades or wazoo new front coilover subframe?

Done a lot of the stock style upgrades no coil overs type stuff. Herb Adams, Guldstrand, Global West some of Dave at Fbody protouring's stuff too. My 78 TA I autocrossed the heck out of with road race slicks before I turned it to a drag car-going back that way now since I have the IA/Camaro for the drag strip.

Skip Fix 09-07-2021 02:03 PM

My recipe was a 550lb front spring, 1 1/4" factory front sway bar, rear factory 5/8 sway bar and stock TA rear springs. I have steel lower control arm bushings I made Delrin spacers to take up the slack and Herb Adams upper solid control arm bushings I converted from weld in to press in. Sapping the lowers out now for Global's Del a lum bushings. I had poly shackle bushings but they are prone to binding and popping. Drag spring had a solid aluminum front spring eye bushing. Global has a spherical bushing for the front so it can articulate some as leafs actually do rotate. I prefer Global's interlocking solid subframe to body bushings. Bilstein's all the way around. Still felt "softer" than the 1985 full sized Bronco I had with stock suspension.

On the 81 TA I used upper and lower A arms from Global. a stiffer 750 lb front spring I had used on the Camaro when I autocrossed it and the SBC in it. You can do the 1LE 12" rotor B body spindle swap. I have that on the 81 but it has not had much driving since all those modes. There are Vette 13" rotor kits that require a 17" wheel if going that big.

jerry455 09-08-2021 06:17 PM

I bought the 1 5/16"front and 1" rear from Summit Racing for my 76 Firebird. I added the 1LE front brake set up and put on 11" rear drum set up form a 1977 Lemans. My old 1977 Can Am had 11" rear drums stock and I had the 1LE set up on that back in the early 90's. I am going to upgrade springs, shocks and the steering box this coming winter. Looking at PTFB stuff. I think I want to use DSE subframe connectors as they are welded into the floor for more ground clearance.

Skip Fix 09-09-2021 09:19 AM

Those are good connectors a little more work doing the floor. I have the old Moroso/CE versions that bolt under the front spring perch -were not a great fit. The 81 and Camaro has some different ones I think form PTFB before he made his own-round tubing bolt on the rear subframe/bracing. All subframe connectors do make it more challenging to use a two post lift!

Steering box options -a reworked 800 series or lots of folks going to the new Delphi box.

I like a stiffer front spring stops braking dive that unloads rear tires.

78w72 09-09-2021 09:39 AM

i have the square tube PTFB connectors on my 72, they fit great & arent the cheap type that bolt under the mounts, they are weld in front & rear but can be bolted in to. they attach all the way back at the rear frame section & go a few inches on to the front frame. the newer round tube ones mount/attach the same way.

tom s 09-09-2021 10:10 AM

Skip,it is his high school car,I have tried to get him to sell it and buy a done car but he wants IT.He is just going to drive it,wont ever see a track,just wants it to handle better than he remembered it when he put it in the garage 30 years ago.He wants it to ride good as he thinks his wife will drive it and at least ride in it.My idea is to set it up if he gets on it and makes sharp power turns on the street he wont loose the back end.I know how busy he is with his business that he wont drive it as much as he think he will.HE almost pulled trigger on a 150K restore on it before I talked him of the cliff.Tom

Skip Fix 09-10-2021 11:28 AM

I'll call you later tonight or tomorrow and we can discuss if you want.

His wheel choice will make some decisions on brake systems.

tom s 10-13-2021 08:49 PM

We have ordered the Roadster shop frame to put under the car.No floor cutting needed.Pricey but should make a great car.Going with yet to be picked out 18in wheels and tires.The shop said 18 by 10s will fit without tubbing the car.Will order brakes,brake lines and fuel lines before it is shipped.18 weeks at this time to make.Tom

Aus78Formula 10-13-2021 09:19 PM

That's a big step beyond anything discussed! And for just a basic driver, good to have money.

tom s 10-13-2021 09:45 PM

Not my money!He wants what he wants!Will be a cool build.Trying to get the engine mocked up so I can order pistons.Going in the shop next month,get the engine and trans out.Im sure he will have the under painted before the frame goes under.Tom

Mo 10-16-2021 02:27 PM

That Roadster frame is a cool product. Seems expensive but not too bad if starting from scratch. Add up all of the separate components, front susp, sub frame connectors, rear suspension and brakes. Plus you most likely have a better product at the end. Keep us posted on the build. Thanks

tom s 10-16-2021 04:30 PM

18 weeks to get the frame!Hurry up and wait!Tom

Mo 10-16-2021 08:22 PM

https://www.facebook.com/RoadsterSho...2665972819188/

Check out what they used to inspire the second gen chassis...

tom s 10-16-2021 08:40 PM

We watched that video which lead us to order it.We will order brake and fuel lines when it gets closer along with brakes.Tom