PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   1,300HP Mercury Comet BRAKE FAILURE CRASH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860047)

Hikin Mike 07-13-2022 07:48 PM

1,300HP Mercury Comet BRAKE FAILURE CRASH

Don't be like him.

https://youtu.be/5oO226PgSkg

BILL BOWMAN1 07-13-2022 08:20 PM

Wow scary!!

66sprint6 07-13-2022 08:27 PM

Let the flaming begin...

jhein 07-13-2022 08:45 PM

They're very lucky. Could have been much worse. Lot's of things to criticize, but not fully buckling up is probably the worst IMO. That's exactly why you do it, because you never know what's gonna happen. Of course, when I had my Superformance Cobra, we used to joke that the harness was just there to make it easier to find the bodies after the crash... LOL.

thepontiacman 07-13-2022 08:47 PM

Wow!

Joe's Garage 07-13-2022 09:03 PM

What an ID10T

KILL SWITCH
KILL SWITCH
KILL SWITCH

Scarebird 07-13-2022 09:39 PM

My LeMans ragtop has a 1/3 of that horsepower. I refitted it with 3 point belts where it left the factory with 2. This car had a cage but no 4 or 5 point belts?

This guy gives us all a bad name.

jhein 07-13-2022 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarebird (Post 6356604)
My LeMans ragtop has a 1/3 of that horsepower. I refitted it with 3 point belts where it left the factory with 2. This car had a cage but no 4 or 5 point belts?

This guy gives us all a bad name.

Worse, he had the belts but they didn't use them 'cause he said it was "just a cruise" or something like that.

65madgoat 07-13-2022 10:15 PM

$280,000 spent on this build? And couldn't afford an e-brake and bigger than Prius sized brakes!!? Ridiculous. No full coverage insurance either - never hear of Hagerty. What a kook.

Hanging throttle in a 1,300 hp car and you think it is ok to take a passenger and ride the brakes?!??

Silly shifter. Only if you are missing an arm or leg should one run an automatic in a vintage car. Don't care how much faster an auto is apparently on the track. Just lame, and shifter like that on the street even dumber since he can't shift into neutral.

Total travesty here. 100% preventable. Negligent to the 3rd degree. Something a 16 year would build and think it is ok - or a Road Kill fan (hate that show since it gives rednecks ideas).

He had no right building that car yet alone driving it on a public street. And harnesses like that are not for the street. 3 point belt proven safer unless you wear a neck restraint and helmet with the harness.

Tom Vaught 07-13-2022 10:30 PM

1) I am sorry that the car was damaged.
2) I really hope that the person/people who were "Rear-ended" were ok.

3) This is just another example of, the prep and inspection prior to the video were
ignored, because they were just going cruising.

The vehicle was trying to tell you something, in this case, they were not willing to listen prior to the drive. It was a beautiful looking car.

I put a set of Chrysler Sebring 3 point Convertible seats in my 64 GTO because it originally came with just a lap belt (and the seat backs had NO LOCKING provision on a 1964 Pontiac A-Body. New seats have ENGINEERED "built in" Head Rests, etc.

Hello, get ready to have your lungs crushed by the steering wheel when you fly forward.

And I put 4 wheel disc brakes on the car so the car would actually stop.

Just saying. Tom V.

jrunner 07-13-2022 11:50 PM

Mercury Comet

1 Attachment(s)
Ouch I just drove my 64 today. Hits home for me I’ve had mine 20 years also. Thats so scary I’m glad their ok. Thanks for posting.

ponchonlefty 07-14-2022 12:08 AM

sad day for the car community. any car guy knows if you ride the brakes eventually you have no brakes. this guy learned the hard way. the more power the more careful you have to drive in traffic. the guy drove like he just got his license. i would imagine 1300 hp would be a handful on the street. too much for a novice.

jhein 07-14-2022 12:38 AM

Just for the sake of argument... When they were bracing for impact, they both instinctively pulled themselves back away as far as they could from the impending source. That increased their distance from what they would hit, the dash, windshield or steering wheel. That increased distance gives time for acceleration and increased energy (e=1/2 mv^2). So you'd actually be better off curling into a ball and pressing yourself against the dash or steering wheel than pulling back. Kind of like the posture they advise in a plane crash.

72projectbird 07-14-2022 01:25 AM

Sticking throttle, riding the brakes, brake fluid doing its best impression as molten lava, and an 80s pos B&M style ratchet shifter jammed into park. Superb choices being made by this genius.

And there ain't no way that car is making anywhere near 900ftlbs @2000rpm. That blower pulley is the size of the London Eye Ferris Wheel.

Charlie Brengun 07-14-2022 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vaught (Post 6356625)
1)
I put a set of Chrysler Sebring 3 point Convertible seats in my 64 GTO because it originally came with just a lap belt (and the seat backs had NO LOCKING provision on a 1964 Pontiac A-Body. New seats have ENGINEERED "built in" Head Rests, etc.

Like these? https://images.app.googl/rwPmtyEGoFghG9Tr6
https://images.app.goo.gl/rwPmtyEGoFghG9Tr6

I like how they integrate the shoulder belt, I'm going to remember this. My car no seat belts at all currently (and its road legal without them believe it or not).

Charlie Brengun 07-14-2022 01:32 AM

The part where they are smelling the brakes and the owner is saying he has to ride them because he's got a sticky throttle with a 1300 hp supercharged engine and not wearing seat belts.. That would make me feel really uncomfortable.

Lightfoot 07-14-2022 01:51 AM

Seeing the driver lock his arms out straight was a huge cringe moment.

I got the impression he tried to shift into PARK, and it was making a ticking noise like the parking pawl was being over ridden.

Heybuck 07-14-2022 02:05 AM

I would have liked to hear the innocent party in the SUV they hit are all ok? Head rests are good but the whiplash effect from a rear end hard hit like that can be life changing.

dataway 07-14-2022 04:55 AM

He definitely threw it into park, not the best choice if you want to stop ... but he obviously panic'ed, don't really fault him for that.

My father always pounded into me the value of a good strong "Emergency Brake" that's what he always called the parking brake. To this day I'm very big on making sure any "emergency" brake in my vehicles works very well, and it's an immediate "go-to" for me.

On my GTO that I'm working on .. wouldn't even back it out of the shop until both the regular brakes and the parking brake worked great .... in my driveway a slight mis-step and the car could end up going over an embankment, down a long hill and into the woods.

Yep, those "civilians" took a serious hit. I'd be pissed if I knew the details of the condition of the car, no difference than a goof ball driving a POS old dump truck with bad brakes. Should have pulled it over and fixed whatever the problem was, or had it towed home.

67drake 07-14-2022 06:48 AM

Hard to say what I’d do in a panic, but turning key off would I hope be the first thing on my mind.