PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   69-71 Judges only TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=434)
-   -   Installing NOS 70 Judge stripes - paper and adhesive issue (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860152)

Boiler 07-18-2022 08:22 PM

Installing NOS 70 Judge stripes - paper and adhesive issue

A friend is in the process of installing a set of NOS Judge stripes. The paper is not pealing cleanly and is leaving an adhesive behind on the stipe material. Has anyone had this experience and if so, how did you remove the adhesive without damaging the stripe?

Ram4king 07-18-2022 09:54 PM

Prep solvent

Boiler 07-19-2022 08:08 AM

Thank you, we will give it a shot

north 07-20-2022 03:53 PM

I've installed several NOS Judge stripes over the years. Prep solvent is the best but sometimes nothing works. some stripes go on fine and other bits (even within the same original package just can't be made to work because the paper bond has degraded the stripe itself.

I've given up with NOS stripes for that reason and quality repros are so close it just isn't worth the headaches. I must not be the only one since NOS stripes sell surprisingly cheap on eBay.

Jason67 07-20-2022 07:15 PM

Very interested to find out what you did with the prep solve to make the NOS stripes work. How do you use the prep solvent on the stripes? Soak the paper backing with a rag, or in a container stripe and all? Remove the paper, and let the stripe dry? The prep solve doesn't remove the stripe adhesive or harm the coloring? Any insight/hints much appreciated.

Peter Serio 07-21-2022 12:21 PM

The old GM stripes are good for maybe 7 or 8 years in storage after they were made. After that, if they are real GM "NOS" they all get a memory curve to them from being rolled up in the box plus the peel-n-stick glue on the back of those dries out.

They are great as a collector item to set on a shelf and look at but the reality of getting those to stick onto a car after 35 or 40 years in storage is highly unlikely.

Ram Air IV Jack 08-02-2022 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Serio (Post 6358620)
The old GM stripes are good for maybe 7 or 8 years in storage after they were made. After that, if they are real GM "NOS" they all get a memory curve to them from being rolled up in the box plus the peel-n-stick glue on the back of those dries out.

They are great as a collector item to set on a shelf and look at but the reality of getting those to stick onto a car after 35 or 40 years in storage is highly unlikely.

Hey Pete, I've been able to get NOS stripes to stick fine recently but it takes some work. I prefer them to the repros. The repros are fine and look great but the color is still a bit off from the originals. I can spot a repro stripe kit from about 40ft away. I just like the originality of NOS stripes if you can find them and the only way to go on a real original survivor.

Tellyshavilli 08-02-2022 11:42 PM

I installed a NOS 40 year old stripe kit on a 71 Trans Am a couple years ago ,went on very well looks great!!

Island Boy 08-03-2022 08:30 PM

Telly- I got a real hard time believing that one!

Boiler 08-12-2022 02:00 PM

With a bit of scrubbing the Prep solvent did take off the adhesive.

Jason67 08-16-2022 09:19 AM

The NOS stripes will adhere to the paint with all the adhesive removed?
Maybe that's why I'm not understanding, I was under the impression they needed to have adhesive left on the back to stay on. The prep solve removes all the adhesive and the backing paper.
Did you use any gel or soapy water for positioning and squeegee them into place?
What did you end up using to scrub the paper and adhesive off?

Boiler 08-16-2022 11:10 AM

The stripes were applied correctly, the adhesive was on the top surface of the stripe not the contact surface.

Jason67 08-16-2022 01:47 PM

I wasn't questioning if it was done correctly or not, just how you did it to make them stick. I understand now, your issue was with the outer paper, not the paper backing. Got it, thanks.

gtohurstjudge 08-19-2022 05:53 PM

NOS Judge stripes are terrible on the 69 cars......tremendous mismatch
from one panel to the other on the width of the three colors and the yellow wears off the edge with white backing showing less than a year after putting them on. My repro stripes from Year One are printed on yellow tape, so the
edge of the stripe actually stays yellow, and there is no mismatch on the width
of each color.

Ram Air IV Jack 08-28-2022 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge (Post 6365801)
NOS Judge stripes are terrible on the 69 cars......tremendous mismatch
from one panel to the other on the width of the three colors and the yellow wears off the edge with white backing showing less than a year after putting them on. My repro stripes from Year One are printed on yellow tape, so the
edge of the stripe actually stays yellow, and there is no mismatch on the width
of each color.

I've never had the yellow color issue happen with 69 Judge strips and now they are over 30 years old. What I have had happen though is the blue color shade can be different even when the part numbers are correct. My shop called me to report this after they opened two sealed GM boxes. The blue color was darker and almost black on one set compared to a lighter shade blue on the other set. I called my supplier and he had to hand check all his strip kits to get me the correct blue shade for both sets. He was very surprised at this. You don't see this inconsistency with the repros. But again, I prefer the NOS strips because the color is factory correct compared to the repros.

imposter 08-28-2022 09:34 PM

baby shampoo or spray it and cover it with plastic bags and leave for a hour or so then peel