PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Body Shop TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Repaint of my '65 GTO (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616433)

mrtonegto 11-14-2009 02:52 PM

Repaint of my '65 GTO

5 Attachment(s)
The car has been stripped and in the initial stages of body work. Found a few suprised under the paint but nothing yet that can't be fixed.

Here's a few initial pic's of the progress.

salem1912 11-14-2009 07:18 PM

Burgundy w/Parchment-- going to be nice. Keep the progress reports coming.

lampoon 11-14-2009 07:55 PM

sweeeeet...love the 65's!!!

mike nixon 11-14-2009 09:01 PM

Looks like a twin to mine.

MIke

michaelroy 11-16-2009 02:55 PM

Off to a good start I see. Where in SC are you?
Looking to have my 65 repainted maybe some time this Winter.
If your body guy is close by and is pretty reasonable maybe you could give me his info.
Good Luck, michaelroy

mrtonegto 11-16-2009 03:37 PM

I'm ur homey......

I'm here in Greenville too..........live off of Woodruff not far from Quaker Steak and Oil.

Painter is in Easley and seems to be meticulous in what he does.

Let's have a beer some time, I'd like to see ur car.

Your welcome to come and see my car in progress - just let me know.

I'll send u a PM with my cell #

Tone

Thumpin455_GTO 11-16-2009 04:11 PM

Everything can be fixed, one way or another.. :) It seems that upstate SC is a hotbed for 65 GTOs. It looks pretty good, cant wait to see how it comes out. I got a 65 from the upstate, just started on it but its way worse than yours. I was stationed down there for 5 years, aside from the swamps and skeeters its a nice place to live.

mrtonegto 11-17-2009 09:44 AM

Sounds like Ft. Jackson Thumpin455. I did my basic and AIT there m a n y years ago!
I'm in the foothills around Greenville so no swamps and hordes of skeeters here.

Got some parts in yesterday so I'll be bringing them to the painter this afternoon. The lower rear quarters were replaced sometime before - but very poorly - so I'm having them both replaced again.

Should have some more pic's to share soon.

2002Z4CSS 11-17-2009 12:07 PM

That car will be nice when done. :)

mrtonegto 11-17-2009 09:36 PM

Nov. 17th Update

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more pic's of progress so far - a little bit slowed, waiting for lower quarters.
Just a terrible previous job putting in the lowers. One side had the patch flange outside the quarter but it was inside on the other. Lots of bondo............
Corners of back window were filled with weld right on top of the rust-through - they globbed welding into the rotted space and then ground it down! Edges of the rusted area were not cut out either.
But nothing too terribly bad..........

mrtonegto 02-19-2010 11:48 PM

Update

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pictures of progress to date. I've spent a great deal on time on the parts that dont show - like the heater box, dash guages/bezel, various brackets, vent windows, etc.

I'm working on other parts of the car as the paint/body shop is doing their thing. Fender extensions are now in and the lower quarters will be on next week. Parts of the body will be media blasted to ensure the rust is completely removed - next week also.

Should be in primer by the end of next week.

22times 02-21-2010 10:42 AM

Interesting thread for me. I am just starting my 65 GTO project as well. I have some trunk work to do before I get to where you are at.

Keep posting, great pics.....:)

Rich

mrtonegto 02-21-2010 12:55 PM

Thanks 22times, I'll take some pic's of the other parts I've refurbished like the dash, outside/inside the heater box, heater fan, vent window frames and seals, etc.

I do them while at work - its often slow - and I'm "boss" - so I even get paid for doing this stuff............LOL

I just had 1350 joints put on my rearend and driveshaft, so the next thing is to put in fresh seals and work the sheetmetal behind the trans. to fit the bigger joint.

Tone

mrtonegto 02-22-2010 11:56 AM

More Pic's

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple more pic's of some of the parts I've refinished.

mrtonegto 02-24-2010 01:26 PM

My Vent Windows Redone

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pic's of my vent windows refurbished with new gaskets installed.

For those that haven't done this yet, you have to remove the two rivets that support the vent window pivot point on top.

Grind or file the rivets off and when it's time to put the window back together just get yourself (4) #8 brass screws with round heads. File the heads flat similar to a nail head and then cut them to about 1/4" of shank remaining - now you've got a brass rivet.

You'll probably need a helper for this part:

- Obviously put the vent window together REMEMBER TO PUT THE GASKET ON THE BOTTOM (I'm proud to say I remembered)

- Have someone hold the vent window open and put the head of the rivet on the inside of the frame

- Place a flat headed rod (I used a long 1/4" extension) against a hard metal surface with the other end against the head of the rivet.

- Then put the window pivot piece over the rivet and flatten the head until its tight. I used a tack hammer but a drift & hammer would do as well.

Piece of cake...................

mrtonegto 02-27-2010 05:11 PM

Progress - Driver's Lower Qtr

1 Attachment(s)
Well I chickened out on having the car sand blasted - the trunk and roof need it.
The blaster is supposed to be excellent but I'm not buying it.........

Decided to take alot of time and use phosphoric acid - like Naval Jelly.

That's why you can see plastic over the trunk in this pic, it helps prevent the acid from drying up.

mrtonegto 03-04-2010 10:00 PM

A Few More Pic's

3 Attachment(s)
Today we worked on the driver's side lower qtr - painter still getting over a sinus infection but at it full time.............

Also working on cleaning up the rust off the trunk lid with Naval Jelly - takes time and lots of work but it does come off.

Worked on the hood also - looks like the car was the victim of a hail storm as it shows on the hood, roof and trunk lid.

Hopefully in full primer next week....................

michaelroy 03-05-2010 10:12 AM

Looking good. Thanks for the tip on installing the rubber. Now that you are experienced maybe you could help do mine. Just kidding. I want to run by the shop one day next week to see the progress.
michaelroy

mrtonegto 03-05-2010 11:47 AM

Thanks Michael, it's coming along just a little bit behind - won't make the end of March but its getting done right.
Newest project will be 3-point belts up front and lap belts in the rear. I think I've got the 3-points figured out but will know more when I get an old section of post from DHutton who was good enough to send it. I'll feel a lot safer having 3 points up front...............

mrtonegto 03-09-2010 11:26 PM

Update and 3-Point Resolution

1 Attachment(s)
Well got all the thick brown rust off the trunk lid and the majority of the roof (one more coating of Naval Jelly will finish it up).

I'm so glad I didn't go with some painters who said they would just DA the old paint with 80 grit and paint over it. You never know when a car is 45 years old................

Here's a pic of the primed lid. It had all the rust removed with NJ; washed off; prepped with Metal Ready; sprayed with (2) coats of POR15; cured for two days; DA sanded with 80 grit and then primed.

On another front.......... I resolved the way to install 3-point belts up front - I've started a separate thread in this section on the matter. I'm going to feel a lot better having shoulder belts up front. I'll be putting lap belts in the rear too.