PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   64-65 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   64 Gas Door (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428722)

eskimonj 07-24-2002 10:01 AM

Should the 'PONTIAC' letters on the gas door be painted black or white? I have seen both.

eskimonj 07-24-2002 10:01 AM

Should the 'PONTIAC' letters on the gas door be painted black or white? I have seen both.

HALFWAY 07-24-2002 10:13 AM

Mine are painted white.

Old Man Taylor 07-24-2002 01:03 PM

Mine is also white.

Tom Vaught 07-24-2002 01:58 PM

Personally have never seen Black on an original car. Mine are white on both of my 64s. Tom V.

My64GTO 07-24-2002 02:06 PM

White.

I used Testors White enamel with a little (just a spec!) yellow mixed in for coverage. I brushed it on, 2 coats should do it.

Quote:

Originally posted by Tom Vaught:
Personally have never seen Black on an original car. Mine are white on both of my 64s. Tom V.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

eskimonj 07-24-2002 02:42 PM

Thanks for the info!

The black is just about worn off on mine, so I will take the rest off and repaint white.

Would it be possible for somebody to post or e-mail a close up shot of your gas door? I would like to see an original if possible and how much of the letters are covered by white.

Tom, I know for sure that the black on mine is not original, I just didn't know if it was correct.
Thanks.

[ July 24, 2002, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: EskimoNJ ]

My64GTO 07-24-2002 10:07 PM

I have a picture of my tailight section taken when I redid them over the winter. Unfortunately, its not a close up, but if you want me to send it to you, send me a Private Message with your email and I will send it along.

I can tell you I took one of my kids small artist brushes (with plastic bristles) and rode along the inside of the letters with white paint, using the "wall" of the letters as a guide.

I missed a few times and got some paint on the top of the letter. It easily scraped off with an Exacto knife.

Incidentally, I used Testors Dark Red for the inside of the ribs. I didn't find out until after that PY sells the correct color red for the inside of the ribs!
Quote:

Originally posted by EskimoNJ:
Thanks for the info!

The black is just about worn off on mine, so I will take the rest off and repaint white.

Would it be possible for somebody to post or e-mail a close up shot of your gas door? I would like to see an original if possible and how much of the letters are covered by white.

Tom, I know for sure that the black on mine is not original, I just didn't know if it was correct.
Thanks.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Old Man Taylor 07-24-2002 11:23 PM

If you don't have a picture by this weekend, send me e-mail and I will take one and send it to you.

JimTaylor1@cox.net

Guy Mazza 07-25-2002 12:27 AM

Mine are all white too. Never seen the black on a 64.

Old Man Taylor 07-25-2002 02:20 PM

Here is one on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1846485375

Ccass 07-25-2002 04:03 PM

Since we are on the subject.... We no longer have a mold for the 64 Gas door. It was one of our first repro parts and was available on and off since about 1987. Not sure if we would spend the money to start all over again. It's still in everybodies catalog but we're all out. Just a heads up.

Tom Wood 64 07-29-2002 07:36 PM

The white stays inside the perimiter edges. Just in the valley of the letters.

JonnyP 08-25-2002 11:19 AM

Sure would like to find the right '64 gas door trim piece for my LeMans..... I believe it's same as on the GTO (but without the red paint between the ribs?). I think the one on mine is off of a Tempest - it looks okay, but it's not right as there is no ribbing and it doesn't match up with the taillight housings. Any leads on where to dig one up would be appreciated - Jon

The Champ 08-25-2002 05:55 PM

I have an extra one. It's far from perfect, but if you're interested, send me an email.