PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   04-06 Interior Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=505)
-   -   06 GTO rear seats stitching (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654048)

charles bledsoe 01-02-2011 09:04 PM

06 GTO rear seats stitching

I have an 06 GTO and the rear seats have split open. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, did you take it to the Dealer or to an upholstery shop?
Thanks in advance.

Chuck Bledsoe

Sirrotica 01-02-2011 11:27 PM

Yes my 05 seats split and Pontiac repaired them N/C with new seat covers, but it was still under the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. You need to keep the leather conditioned as it shrinks from the heat an sun coming through the back window. I've kept mine conditioned with leather conditioner since I got the new cover on.

bonneville Joe 01-05-2011 08:45 PM

My mom's 04 and our friend's 04 are the only 2 I've seen that haven't split. My 05 and every other one I've seen have split. I have another set of rear seats, I need to have the arm rest redone though. My headliner is falling already too.

pont3 01-06-2011 10:51 PM

The leather is fine, but the thread stitching has come loose in my '04 on the back seatbacks. There is a diy fix on LS1GTO, but I think I'll have an upholstery shop restitch mine. BTW, this is the FIRST issue with my '04, after nearly seven years of ownership. I think the exposure to sunlight wreaks havoc on these interiors as my '06, which is always garaged, shows no stitching problems.

Sirrotica 01-06-2011 11:51 PM

The leather shrinks as the sun hits it and pulls the stitches and it also seems to rot the thread they used. With the weakened thread and leather shrinking you get the end result. As I said earlier I've been keeping the new seat covers conditioned and they look fine.

JLHarper 01-08-2011 07:26 PM

My 2005 has split as well.

Back of drivers seat came off too.

goatnut 01-08-2011 11:11 PM

I keep my 06 conditioned and no signs of any problems. It is also garage kept.

Skip Fix 01-20-2011 10:13 AM

My 04 split and it was out of the 3 year(not by mileage) warranty and something not covered by the extended GM warranty. The local dealer has an upholstery shop do them and usually they replace the tops he said. Although the original dealer tore my drivers seat and half a$$ repaired it and then the material to match was not available so they bought a new cover. So not sure the correct leather is available. It does look like just the stiching but the leather could have shrunk. I just need to get mine in too.

RAM AIR V 08-11-2011 12:33 PM

REAR SEAT COVER

AXELROD "BUICK GMC" JUST REPLACED THE SEAT COVER ON MY 06. THE STITCHING POPPED. IT WAS LONG OUT OF WARRANTY BUT ONLY 15000 MILES. GREAT PEOPLE AT AXELROD, PARMA,OHIO

oakster 08-14-2011 11:24 AM

My '05 is splitting too. I have a really good upholstery guy that does my interiors on my older cars that I'm going to have fix it.

The silver on my steering wheel is coming off - easy fix and the suede on my drivers door has had the glue let loose.

All minor issues but a pita none the less

JLHarper 08-14-2011 05:01 PM

Anyone have what looks like (silver) paint runs on the 05 automatic shifter handle?

Verdoro 68 08-15-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHarper (Post 4391700)
Anyone have what looks like (silver) paint runs on the 05 automatic shifter handle?

Are you sure it's not the plastic bubbling? Mine has one big bubble that runs from top to bottom and another smaller one on the side. My steering wheel spokes are starting to bubble too. About to order some replacements.

71GP76TA 08-18-2011 12:24 AM

The top of my back seat split too. The silver on the steering wheel spokes is bubbled too. A couple of months ago the wife had it washed.... a week later I noticed that the car wash blew some of the clear off the nose :mad: . About 2 weeks ago the windshield got a rock chip and cracked.... Anybody bought a windshield for one of these yet???

BTW - It now has amost 112k on it now..

Skip Fix 08-18-2011 10:09 AM

Went by and upholstery shop 2 weeks ago they wanted $450 a seat cover to redo the rear! new form GM are only $650 and it looks like just the top part is hard and might need replacing. Trying to soften it up and maybe try and restitch it only.

GOATEY69 01-01-2012 11:01 PM

My driver side rear seat split about 1 year before the warranty was up. Dealer replaced it no problems. 6 mos. later the passenger side started to split, dealer replaced it no problem. I figured when the warranty was up it would be my problem, so I had the windows tinted and conditioned the seats and headrests with Maguires professional stuff. The car is now out of warranty and the headrest on the driver side rear started to split. I took the car to the dealer and was told " sorry out of warranty, nothing we can do. Yes I remember replacing the seat covers for the same problem" I wrote a letter to Pontiac explaining the situation and this is an ongoing problem. They did nothing for me. I love the car, but I hate GM. It is the last new one that I will buy. Thanks for letting me vent :)