PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   74-76 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=440)
-   -   Shaker Scoop not centered in hood (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867063)

TransAmRIP 06-04-2023 10:50 PM

Shaker Scoop not centered in hood

3 Attachment(s)
Just picked up this 74 400 4 speed and can't figure out the problem:

My shaker scoop is offset to the left of center. Can't figure it out? Is the common or is something off?

Not sure why I can't rotate the pictures.

Thanks, Bub

PS: I know the call outs should not be on the shaker, they came on it.

Trevor78 06-04-2023 11:08 PM

That's not too bad. Start the car and rev it and make sure it isn't getting too close to the sides.

TransAmRIP 06-04-2023 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor78 (Post 6431433)
That's not too bad. Start the car and rev it and make sure it isn't getting too close to the sides.

Haven't had any problems when revving it. From the inside looking out it really looks crooked though!

Thanks

Trevor78 06-05-2023 12:40 AM

Have seen far worse. That's when engine mounts can be checked. Also, have a look to see if aircleaner and snorkel are level. Guys leaning on snorkel can easily bend it down around the carb mount pressing. That would create the opposite to pic, normally. But easy to check, and correct. Other times it can be wrong aircleaner or adaptor but then it's really bad.

TransAmRIP 06-05-2023 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor78 (Post 6431447)
Have seen far worse. That's when engine mounts can be checked. Also, have a look to see if aircleaner and snorkel are level. Guys leaning on snorkel can easily bend it down around the carb mount pressing. That would create the opposite to pic, normally. But easy to check, and correct. Other times it can be wrong aircleaner or adaptor but then it's really bad.

Thanks

burd 06-05-2023 08:42 AM

When taking pics for a forum, phone needs to be horizontal, or PY needs to update the embedder so it corrects the problem

78w72 06-05-2023 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
worn motor mounts, bent frame, or the front clip/core support/subframe wasnt installed squarely after restoration. all thing that can cause an off center scoop. easy to check the mounts & alignment of things, but more difficult to check for a bent frame. have seen a lot worse, check those things and the others mentioned above.

phone doesnt need to be horizontal for forum pics, i post pics from a vertical held phone on here & other websites without any issues. probably related to the software youre using to view & upload the pics. heres a recent vertical pic from my phone...

pontiacstogo 06-05-2023 11:32 AM

Congrats on the new TA! Looks like a nice example - options?

TransAmRIP 06-05-2023 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78w72 (Post 6431483)
worn motor mounts, bent frame, or the front clip/core support/subframe wasnt installed squarely after restoration. all thing that can cause an off center scoop. easy to check the mounts & alignment of things, but more difficult to check for a bent frame. have seen a lot worse, check those things and the others mentioned above.

phone doesnt need to be horizontal for forum pics, i post pics from a vertical held phone on here & other websites without any issues. probably related to the software youre using to view & upload the pics. heres a recent vertical pic from my phone...

I'll check those things,
Thanks

TransAmRIP 06-05-2023 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pontiacstogo (Post 6431503)
Congrats on the new TA! Looks like a nice example - options?

Thanks Peter,

Has A/C, Power Windows, tilt steering, am radio, tape deck (which was missing) and standard interior.
Matching numbers Engine and Trans.
Bub

kingbuzzo 06-06-2023 12:25 PM

Just gorgeous...but I'm biased lol

Another member here helped me with pics...if you are uploading from a PC, open them with yer photo editor then crop them - even just a tiny bit then resave the file.

PITA but works everytime for me.

My trash am decal on the rear spoiler is off center so I know exactly what you mean...lol

TransAmRIP 06-06-2023 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingbuzzo (Post 6431682)
Just gorgeous...but I'm biased lol

Another member here helped me with pics...if you are uploading from a PC, open them with yer photo editor then crop them - even just a tiny bit then resave the file.

PITA but works everytime for me.

My trash am decal on the rear spoiler is off center so I know exactly what you mean...lol

Thanks I'll try that next time!

78w72 06-07-2023 09:31 AM

Strange that happens on your photos, by using the PY photo uploader i have always been able to load pics directly from my computer, no cropping or anything, works for upright held phone or camera pics. just uploaded direct to my computer as a jpeg file then use the "manage attachments" on PY to upload the file here, has always been upright just like the pic is on my PC. possibly related to the photo software &/or your phones settings.

pontiacstogo 06-07-2023 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TransAmRIP (Post 6431593)
Has A/C, Power Windows, tilt steering, am radio, tape deck (which was missing) and standard interior.
Matching numbers Engine and Trans.

Very cool. I can count on one hand how many of the 400 4-speeds I have seen with AC. Interesting too that it has the standard interior mixed with all of the other 'luxury' options. Mine's the exact opposite - deluxe interior but no A/C, tilt or power windows.

TransAmRIP 06-08-2023 08:59 AM

What makes it more interesting is that it was never delivered to a dealership. According to the PHS it was being prepared for overseas shipping. Trying to track down previous owners beside the one owner I purchased it from. Apparently it spent its whole life in North Alabama and never made it overseas.

PHS shows V97 Export Prep $1.00

Bub

kingbuzzo 06-08-2023 12:22 PM

Where is your pic hoard @?

TransAmRIP 06-09-2023 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingbuzzo (Post 6432115)
Where is your pic hoard @?

Picture?

kingbuzzo 06-09-2023 12:07 PM

No, i mean we need more pics of that magnificent beast u got there...

Oh and I just looked at my shaker and it is way off as well and I never noticed until u mentioned it...thanks! 😋

Maybe it's a '74 thing and/or 50 years of previous owner shenanigan's... 🙄

TransAmRIP 06-09-2023 05:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingbuzzo (Post 6432345)
No, i mean we need more pics of that magnificent beast u got there...

Oh and I just looked at my shaker and it is way off as well and I never noticed until u mentioned it...thanks! 😋

Maybe it's a '74 thing and/or 50 years of previous owner shenanigan's... 🙄

I'll get some and upload them this weekend. Here's a few from the outside and underneath.

Bub