PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Super Duty Forum: (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471844)

Brewster 03-18-2006 10:31 PM

Super Duty Forum:

Yeap, I think its time to get a SD forum going like the Judge v/s GTO.
There is enough conversation on these cars to justify it, and would be nice for reference too.
Just a thought,
Brewster

74 SD455 Formula 03-18-2006 11:18 PM

Brewster where in Wisconsin do you live???? I dont see many SD car's around here.As a matter of fact in Milwaukee/Waukesha area I know of 4 including mine.

Brewster 03-18-2006 11:23 PM

Im north of Green Bay an hour, up by Wausaukee.
I hope to come down for a show or two this year. Don Miller over by Madison, and something else.
Are you the owner of that yellow sd formula car from Duffys ? and what about the SD forum thing ?

SD73 03-19-2006 01:52 AM

Count me in. But if there's any exclusive membership fees I'll write a rubbery check!

74 SD455 Formula 03-19-2006 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewster
Im north of Green Bay an hour, up by Wausaukee.
I hope to come down for a show or two this year. Don Miller over by Madison, and something else.
Are you the owner of that yellow sd formula car from Duffys ? and what about the SD forum thing ?

Brewster I am the owner of that Yellow Formula.And I too will be at the Don Miller show ( Weather permitting ).Looking forward to seeing you.As for the forum I'm all for it,just let me know.

Brewster 03-19-2006 12:00 PM

Yeap, I had an interest on that one. Sweet ride. I was ready to fly down for a closer look, when I found out it was gone be a fellow that worked their, and had just quit.
Never been to the Don Miller show how are the cars parked ? Pontiac dealer, shopping mall,.. ? and when is it ?

74 SD455 Formula 03-19-2006 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewster
Yeap, I had an interest on that one. Sweet ride. I was ready to fly down for a closer look, when I found out it was gone be a fellow that worked their, and had just quit.
Never been to the Don Miller show how are the cars parked ? Pontiac dealer, shopping mall,.. ? and when is it ?

Brewster,
The show itself isnt too bad.The cars are sectioned off by class with plenty of room.It is at a dealer ship and the interesting thing is that Don Miller also has a Mopar Dealer ship on the same lot and yes you would guess right if you were to ask if there is a Mopar/AMC show going on at the same time.They are seperate from us of coarse on a different lot,but none the less they are there.The show itself is around the first or second Sunday of June.Tell your friends with Pontiac's to come they'll have a good time.

165th 03-21-2006 11:06 PM

Hey Brewster, this SD Newbie would greatly appreciate a dedicated Forum. If we get our own Forum however, that'll do it, I'll just have to change my handle. Since I don't own the 165th TA anymore, and have dropped from owning one of 697 to one of 252, I'll have to get creative when changing my handle.

I'm officially accepting ideas!
Greg.

Larry Navarro 03-22-2006 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice idea!
I'll change my handle to "1 of 1 of 180" .

Brewster 03-25-2006 11:35 AM

Hello, I sent on a request this morning to have our own forum and will post their reply.
Keep your fingers crossed.
Brewster

greyno3 03-25-2006 11:49 AM

Maby there should also be a separate 69 GP/J 428 forum. And a separate 10th Ann. and a 73-75 Grand Am and a 77 Can Am and a Astre Formula and a 2+2 and a 73 GTO and a.............. Can't anyone be satisfied that this site exits?

pmdclassics 03-25-2006 03:10 PM

BABES and Pontiac

I would like to see a forum with strickly BABES and Pontiacs!! Just go to the Lobby and see how many hits the "HOTTEST DUDE OR CHICK" Posting is up to!! Its a record on this site for sure

Brewster 03-25-2006 03:55 PM

Yeap, I was waiting for someone to run on, and figured it would be a Yacker. Make that two, Yackers.

superdutybob 03-25-2006 04:17 PM

You tell em Cheesehead.

I for one would be in support of whatever decision these forums make concerning this topic. How's that for "middle of the road"?

Brewster 03-25-2006 08:19 PM

Yeap, I know what I'm sending you for Christmas.
Is that motor coming along ? post a couple pictures of the progress.
Later Bob,
Brewster

sd4me 03-28-2006 11:16 PM

Think its a great idea. Just chiming in after a year off line. Got my wheels back and could use input from other SD fanatics.

Brewster 03-29-2006 08:10 AM

No reply from my PM to PY staff ? maybe I should post this so the 74 reads can voice an opinion ?
Hey, sd4me. What kinda a wheels, and how come you where off a year ?

sd4me 03-29-2006 09:50 AM

Brewster, been too involved with work, kids and the resto. Been lurking on the browse side of the forums though. Running a 73 cameo white auto. Full subframe off resto. Right now tweaking the passenger front spoiler, been through two of them for the right fit, welting fit/finish is driving me nuts!

SD73 03-29-2006 02:52 PM

Sound like a nice car SD4ME. It also sounds like my sister car. Mine is the same color and tranny with a deluxe black interior and no ac.

sd4me 03-29-2006 08:59 PM

Hey, I'm lovin this thread. Its great to see so many interested enthusiast involved with the SD. SD73, like the black interior for sure, mine is white. Shows all the minor blemishes though...I'm running factory a/c, locks, windows, cruise, tilt and rear console/defog. All works, but blew the clutch on the a/c a few days ago on the highway, on the second rip.

SD73 03-29-2006 09:58 PM

Hey, I think we talked before! I think we exchanged pics of our cars. Yours was taken in a garage. It's a well optioned car. Anyway, it's always cool getting everything working just right. Mine is a stripper, so I didn't have a lot to get done. But, every gage, light, buzzer, and smog device is functional!

sd4me 03-30-2006 07:21 PM

I was just checking through the pics of the 70-73 TA's on the other thread. I saw your car SD73. Very clean, especially after you swapped out to the Rallye II's. Definately the sister car of mine. I also have no hood bird, like the look of the small bird on the endura. Are your decals red?

SD73 03-30-2006 07:27 PM

The original owner had the decals swapped over to the orange ones meant for the red T/A's back in '73. The second owner had it painted and reinstalled the incorrect decals in the 80's. It's due for paint again. The second one was a cheap Maaco special. When I get it done I'll have the correct ones reinstalled. I also found an NOS bumper bird I'll be putting back on too.

sd4me 03-31-2006 09:11 AM

What mods if any have you made to the drive train?

Wick 03-31-2006 01:09 PM

What's the big deal about SD's? In the latest Musclecar mag the HO spanked on the SD by almost 40 HP.

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch (Larry), I too was surpised by the outcome.

Larry Navarro 03-31-2006 01:33 PM

The big deal on SD's?.......I'm laughing all the way to the bank.:D

Wick 03-31-2006 01:44 PM

Why, did you sell that red turd? lol

SD73 03-31-2006 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd4me
What mods if any have you made to the drive train?

It's fairly stock, SD4ME. About the only thing that's been upgraded is an HC02 cam, 1.65 rockers, and a 28k stall converter. In another 50 miles I'll have 3k on the new engine and I'll be switching to Redlines synthetic 10w-40. I also use a K&N filter through an open shaker. I have the Gardner repro exhaust system and repro RamAir manifolds as well. Nothing too exotic for me.

Have you deviated from factory much?

Larry Navarro 03-31-2006 06:53 PM

FWIW....
I have done back to back track testing with a K&N and a quality paper filter. My '79 with a 474 engine runs high 11's in the 1/4 at 119mph, no difference in performance.

Hold a K&N filter up to the light and notice how porous they are. Well that porosity is letting micro-dust particles in your engine.
I'll never put a K&N filter on a car.
However, back in the 70's I used them on my motocross cycles because they were designed for off-road, dirty conditions. The K&N representative at the tracks told us that they are designed to run dirty and should NOT be cleaned unless the dirt was caked-on the filter.

Just food for thought.

greyno3 03-31-2006 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Navarro
The big deal on SD's?.......I'm laughing all the way to the bank.:D

How can you be laughing all the way to the bank when you still own the car?

Wick 03-31-2006 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD73
It's fairly stock, SD4ME. About the only thing that's been upgraded is an HC02 cam, 1.65 rockers, and a 28k stall converter. In another 50 miles I'll have 3k on the new engine and I'll be switching to Redlines synthetic 10w-40. I also use a K&N filter through an open shaker. I have the Gardner repro exhaust system and repro RamAir manifolds as well. Nothing too exotic for me.

Have you deviated from factory much?

That's the same setup I ran when I put an HO in my '79 10th with a 4 gear except I was running Hookers. Ran 13.31 @ 108mph. I'll bet my 60ft were 2 seconds because it wouldn't hook for nothing but it freight trained big time.

SD73 03-31-2006 11:19 PM

Those are some decent times. Where your heads worked at all?

Yeah, down low is hard to get bite with this setup. Running through a factory exhaust sure doesn't help my 1/4 times, but it keeps me out of a little trouble.

Larry Navarro 03-31-2006 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Chris...remember this one?
'73 clone SD455, completely stock service replacement motor, 8.4:1 compression, 1.5 rockers, cast iron intake, ram air exhaust(before headers shown) & Q-jet.
Exception: the HO racing HC-03 cam

High 12's @108mph

Brewster 04-02-2006 08:08 AM

What do you have their Larry ?

Larry Navarro 04-02-2006 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Its an old '73 T/A "Y" code car, 4speed...NO options.
The engine was a service replacement that was installed years ago when stuff was alot less expensive.
I bought the car in '93 and it had every SD part on it except the intake. I found an LS2X intake in Hemmings and bought it for $175.
I rebuilt the engine with standard bore and original SD single "trough" pistons! It was in that good of shape.
Like I said earlier, the only thing that wasn't stock was the HC-03 cam I bought from H-O racing.

I sold the car in '97 for $9500 bucks.
It made its round in the Houston area over the years and was sold on Ebay last year for $26,000 !!!

Brewster 04-02-2006 12:23 PM

Awesome, That is a good buy considering the motor alone is worth more then 2/3 of that. Looks like the real sweet ride, and would be a great rip around town weekend car.
Thanks

sdbob 04-02-2006 02:31 PM

I think just try to keep certain special interest cars together in each category.Or 'all' SD cars.Your idea would be good and convenient,though.
14.0,100 mph all original unmodified.
12.17,110mph,all stock parts,weight 3636.headers,3.73's, 9" tires, 3300 converter.Heads and intake are stock volumes and unmodified.

eaglesan13 04-02-2006 03:50 PM

Larry,

I saw that SD clone for sale some time back and thought it was a pretty good deal for the money. With the price of these cars we're almost afraid to drive them anymore and I figured that would be a good driver. As I recall it was on the auto trader and then ebay. I knew it was in Texas and didn't sell right away but didn't know what ever became of it. Wasn't it white with a saddle, or tan interior?

INJUNTOM 04-02-2006 04:14 PM

great idea guys...good luck with a dedicated forum.

i wish i could say i had an SD Formula :D

Larry Navarro 04-02-2006 06:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Eaglesan13....
Yes, saddle interior. I took the console out for that "sporty" look, and removed the mounting pods and replaced carpet after the pic was taken.
Also took the other pic, right after I restored the engine and surrounding compartment.
The car was sold locally to a person in Arizona, then was immediately placed on ebay the same week it was sold.

sd4me 04-03-2006 01:52 PM

I took a gander at the Gardner system, liked it alot, but too pricey for me sd73. If I recall correctly, when I called them last year, they did not have the stock resonators either. Went with a PY pypes stock set up, single transverse muffler, but 2.5" ceramic, and an x-pipe. Jim Taylor Engine Service rebuilt the engine, not stock either.

Whats the deal with 10-40 Redlines? I have always heard running single vis 30 wt was the best choice. Will need to change mine in a bit here too. Using Valvoline racing 30 wt.

SD73 04-03-2006 03:04 PM

My Gardner setup is a couple of years old. It has the correct resonators. If you send me your email addy, I'll send you some pics. I just took some for Brewster because he's interested in their setup as well. I like it's look and fit really well, but I'd much prefer a 3rd party system for performance reasons. If I wasn't so anal about these things I would have went wild with the exhaust. It is a bit of a bottleneck.

The main thing with oil these days is to be sure you get enough zinc if you're using a standard cam. The Redline has a good amount (1350ppm), which is the main reason I use it. The other is that I don't put on a huge amount of mileage during the year, and this stuff works well for extended drain intervals.

I also use the Mobile M1 oil filter with it. They're a bit expensive, but they have some excellent filtering proporties and a really high burst rating. When my engine was first fired up, we went through a few filters because the new engine was a bit tight and with the 80psi pump they wouldn't hold up. After I went to the M1 those problems disappeared.

sd4me 04-04-2006 11:29 AM

SD73 agreed with the Gardner system, keeps the 'stock' resale pumped up, but too much back pressure restriction to get the most from that motor. Just PM'd you with email for pics. Good info on oil zinc content. I grew up in the bay area, are you in lala land or northern?

SD73 04-04-2006 02:31 PM

I'm a SoCal'r fer sure, dude! Actually, my ride is from your area. It was first sold in MAZZEI Pontiac in Pittsburg CA and stayed up there until I bought it in 2001. Let me know if there are any pictures in particular you want. I need to take some for my insurance people this weekend anyway.

Tellyshavilli 04-04-2006 07:22 PM

sd exhaust

Larry Lorenz used to do a sd repro exhaust system back in the mid 80's . It was very nice and near perfect , I still have it on all my Super dutys including my 73 Red 4speed ,car.

Brewster 04-04-2006 07:39 PM

Hey,
Wanted to know if Larry is still around ?

SD73 04-04-2006 07:45 PM

I just did a little googling and found this:

WISCONSIN
Original GTO Club
PO Box 320141 Franklin WI 53132
Larry Lorenz 414-466-2300 jmogto@aol.com
no chapter website

Brewster 04-04-2006 07:56 PM

Cool, Im running with it.
Will let you know,
Brew

SD73 04-04-2006 08:30 PM

Run Forest Green, run!

SD73 04-04-2006 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think we're eventually going to need something like this to seperate us from the commoners. ;)