PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   67-69 Firebird TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   Barn find 69 T/A (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585749)

fbirdinconcord 01-14-2009 02:26 AM

Barn find 69 T/A

5 Attachment(s)
I just picked up another bird and I thought I would post it. I am a 2nd gen guy but there are only 2 first gens I have been interested in. A 1968 400 4 speed conv and a 1969 4 speed Trans Am.

Well I have found the Trans Am. I just picked it up from the original owner. It has 114500 miles on it and has not been driven since 1982. All of the upper surfaces are original paint but there have been spot repairs around the bottom from various dings when it was his daily driver until parked in 82.

It is complete including all ramair pans, manifolds, etc. It appears to be all matching numbers from what I have seen so far. It has the original rusted out muffler. All of the interior is original, well, except for the wonderful speaker cutouts.:( Luckily the car has hardly any rust at all. The trunk and floor pans are perfect. The original polyglas spare and rally wheel are on the front drivers side of the car.

It has great documentation including: window sticker, warranty card, protecto plate, owners manual, bill of sale, receipt for deposit, pre-delivery inspection, and all registration cards from 1969-1982.

I will start the process of getting it road ready soon. I am going to clean it up and enjoy it and drive as is for awhile before any resto work. It should be a fun car.

fbirdinconcord 01-14-2009 02:28 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics.

fbirdinconcord 01-14-2009 02:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
doc pics

Jim Robertson 01-14-2009 02:34 AM

Holy crap Batman!

Very cool!

Good luck with it,
Jim

The Boss 01-14-2009 08:23 AM

NICE NICE CAR!

Great find, the documentation is fantastic!

Time to update your signature! ;)

steveK 01-14-2009 08:40 AM

Makes me wanna cry it's so nice!!!

muscle_collector 01-14-2009 09:12 AM

beautiful car. i would never restore it. just clean it up as good as possible. congrats on the find.

Keith Seymore 01-14-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscle_collector (Post 3535129)
beautiful car. i would never restore it. just clean it up as good as possible. congrats on the find.

Ditto. They are only original once.

Congratulations -

K

goatmanmitch 01-14-2009 10:08 AM

That is so cool!! Truly amazing find!

gregsgtos2 01-14-2009 10:11 AM

that is a awesome find!!

Bet Winner 01-14-2009 10:23 AM

Wow, that's fantastic. Can you find me one? :D

johnta1 01-14-2009 11:16 AM

Congrats on that fantastic find! :)

jscheublein 01-14-2009 12:19 PM

Great Find

You car is remarkable. I am trying to restore my 1969 Trans Am and collect all the pictures I can to help in the restoration. I am having trouble saving yours - could you please e-mail any picture to assist me with my car. My home phone is 209-634-9543.

Thanks - Jim

einstein 01-14-2009 12:41 PM

I would agree with Keith and musclecollector - they are only original once.

It appears that this car can be freshened up to "survivor" status.

To be able to leave the stripes original as proof of what the factory did would be a plus - both as "survivor" and as reference for those whose cars must be restored.

FASTASSBIRD 01-14-2009 12:42 PM

Damn jim that car was right in our backyard. lol How did we miss that? Not that i can afford another one. :( Hell i would drive to the bay area and take pics myself if he would let me haha. Second barn find t/a out of that area. Someone found a 70 ram air iii car in Gilroy not to long ago.

FASTASSBIRD 01-14-2009 12:45 PM

OHHHHHH and I sure hope you register it with those black and yellow plates!

67blackcherry 01-14-2009 01:11 PM

Very nice...CONGRATS!!!

Did you find that up north, or was that down in So Cal? Rumour has it there's a 69 T/A survivor in...oh, never mind, I think I'll keep that bit of info for myself...;)

FASTASSBIRD 01-14-2009 01:18 PM

good point, the condition is about right for that one. and the time frame. lol and its not really a big secret about the one sitting in the storage lot in valencia haha

fbirdinconcord 01-14-2009 01:20 PM

I currently have no intentions of restoring the car. But, I do believe it is not quite good enough to be a survivor either. So it will be just a driver for now.

We currently have a 3 part plan for getting it going:

Get it running

Get it stopping

Get it moving-it appears the clutch is mating with the flywheel:)

As soon as that is accomplished I will drive it locally and get the engine compartment and undercarriage steam cleaned.

Then I can start photographing and documenting everything. I will post to a picasaweb account when I get to that point.

I will be replacing all belts, hoses, and clamps with the repro stuff. The great thing with original owner cars is that I know everything that has been replaced. Luckily, this guy has a memory like an elephant.

I will probably get a Gardner exhaust system for it as well. It will make those local drives a little less noticeable to my neighbors.

It will definitely keep the black plates.

I found my 70 Trans Am and 73 Formula locally as well. The key to getting these cars is that you have to find before they are for sale. Once they are for sale it is to late especially if they hit Craigslist. There are guys who sit at their computer and hit refresh all day. They have made it their job. Just talk to everyone you know and you will find them.

The car is available to be viewed at anytime by forum members.

It was found in between north and south;)

FASTASSBIRD 01-14-2009 01:27 PM

In between huh? that makes it even worse lol. Mine is in central California as is Jims haha oh well yours in on the coast now haha guess I can go back to claiming mine is the only one around! Great find! Its good to see another on pop up :)