PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Holley 4150 ID (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863063)

RocktimusPryme 11-24-2022 07:42 PM

Holley 4150 ID

4 Attachment(s)
I bought a holley carb and some sort of Edelbrock Torker II adapter for a Chevy v6 today. I don’t even really know what it is but I’ll clean it up and throw it on eBay. I don’t really need either it was just dirt cheap. So I’ll throw a kit in it and either toss it on the shelf for the future or sell it.

Anyway, carb is a little weird. Supposedly a dirt track carb. Has 1-3/4 butterflies so an 850 with annuals boosters to make it an 830. Marked as having 84 jets in both sides.

I’m almost positive it’s an older version of this guy
https://www.holley.com/products/disc...t/parts/0-9381

But I’m curious what the experts think. Especially as to what is factory holley and what is aftermarket. It doesn’t look like it has factory discharge nozzles to me and the fisheye sightbowls are strange. I’ve never actually seen sight windows that stick out like that before. Also no vacuum port in the primary metering block is odd.

What’s really strange though is it looks like someone obscured the list number on the air horn. I could see doing that if it were a 650 you were trying to sell as an 850. I just can’t fathom why someone would scratch off the numbers of an already desirable carb? Unless you were trying to run an 830 is a class that limited you to a smaller carb.

Skip Fix 11-24-2022 07:50 PM

Annular boosters and a 50cc pump on the back. Maybe an 830cfm?

4dblnkldude 11-24-2022 09:52 PM

Those sight glasses are actually sight plugs. They screw in.

Tom Vaught 11-24-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme (Post 6388976)
I bought a holley carb and some sort of Edelbrock Torker II adapter for a Chevy v6 today. I don’t even really know what it is but I’ll clean it up and throw it on eBay. I don’t really need either it was just dirt cheap. So I’ll throw a kit in it and either toss it on the shelf for the future or sell it.

Anyway, carb is a little weird. Supposedly a dirt track carb. Has 1-3/4 butterflies so an 850 with annuals boosters to make it an 830. Marked as having 84 jets in both sides.

I’m almost positive it’s an older version of this guy
https://www.holley.com/products/disc...t/parts/0-9381

But I’m curious what the experts think. Especially as to what is factory holley and what is aftermarket. It doesn’t look like it has factory discharge nozzles to me and the fisheye sightbowls are strange. I’ve never actually seen sight windows that stick out like that before. Also no vacuum port in the primary metering block is odd.

What’s really strange though is it looks like someone obscured the list number on the air horn. I could see doing that if it were a 650 you were trying to sell as an 850. I just can’t fathom why someone would scratch off the numbers of an already desirable carb? Unless you were trying to run an 830 is a class that limited you to a smaller carb.

For sure an 830 cfm carb.

Look on the metering blocks and see if the "modifier" dusted off the info on the top of the metering blocks (top right). Should look something like this #4781 (old 850 carb number) and then a date code.

Tom V.

RocktimusPryme 11-25-2022 11:38 AM

The secondary block is 9108. The primary is tougher to see but it also ends in 108 so I’m guessing it’s 9108 as well.

Edit: that might be the date code. I didn’t see another number but I’ll check it out when I get back home.

kyle_blake 11-25-2022 01:53 PM

is the vac tube missing from front block?

PAUL K 11-25-2022 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme (Post 6389066)
The secondary block is 9108. The primary is tougher to see but it also ends in 108 so I’m guessing it’s 9108 as well.

Edit: that might be the date code. I didn’t see another number but I’ll check it out when I get back home.

9108 is the correct meter block for that carburetor

RocktimusPryme 11-25-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle_blake (Post 6389090)
is the vac tube missing from front block?

I looked, I don’t see anything broken off. It looks just like the secondary block. A blank hole.

I was wondering if someone put in a secondary metering block in place of the primary.

Like I said, just some odd stuff. I can’t see what the point of obscuring the list number would be, and why get rid of that vacuum port?

How would a guy go about putting a vac fitting there like there should be? Buy a new metering block.

Also, holley apparently lists that 9108 block as a 4160 block. That’s clearly a 4150 with two blocks.

Tom Vaught 11-25-2022 09:22 PM

Does the Secondary Metering Block have Power Valve threads in the block?

If not and the Primary Metering Block looks like the secondary metering block (NO
Power Valve threads) then you are correct.

Tom V.