PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   1973 Y CODE SD-455 T/A MAGAZINE TEST CAR - RESTORATION (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710829)

mscicluna007 10-10-2012 12:50 AM

1973 Y CODE SD-455 T/A MAGAZINE TEST CAR - RESTORATION

5 Attachment(s)
First and Foremost Thankyou to a few People.

James Rotella & Rocky Rotella for their hard work behind the scenes in discovering my cars history.

Leigh Peddel in Australia as he started the PY Thread behind the scenes to help solve the questions I did not have answers to.

And the PY Thread and its members for all the information that has and is coming forward.

Big Thanks to High Performance Pontiac Magazine for agreeing to run the story and helping document the car.

I have been waiting patiently until the magazine went to the shelves to allow Rocky the credit he deserves. He has spoken to countless people and even flown out of state to try and solve this one. Countless Emails back and forth and alot of his own time to help document this correctly.

I hope more information comes forward but for now most avenues may have been Exhausted.

I bought this car as a 73 TA and I was proud to own it as just that. So anything else is a bonus.

I want this thread to be about the Restoration and Getting the car documented correctly to aid with the restoration as best I can. I am keeping the car original as far as I can and what I don't get to now I will get to one day as it will eat me alive not doing it right.

I will be uploading Pictures of the restoration and I think some things might help others with their Restorations with things like the Paint under the floorpans.

The last 3 months I have spent stripping the car down prepping it for summer to try and get in to a Panel Shop that is trusted. It is nearly ready to leave and I hope its out by Christmas.

I will try to answer what I can and I am sure you will help me with this restoration. I had a ten year plan with the car and hopeful to have it done in 5 years. I think I am well ahead of schedule LOL at the moment so I will just keep progressing. I have taken ridiculous amounts of photos prior to and after removal of parts so when they go back in due course they will look correct.

Feel free to comment.

1973 SD-455 Y CODE T/A MAGAZINE TEST CAR

Michael Scicluna

AUS

bossbirdta 10-10-2012 12:57 AM

BITCHIN'......:ausflag:

Best of luck!!!!!

Pepi 10-10-2012 05:51 AM

Awesome, can't wait to follow that thread.

GRNMTGOAT 10-10-2012 05:57 AM

A good story, just got the mag yesterday.It will be interesting to find out if the motor made it to Aussie ? Enjoy the resto you lucky guy, regards Bruce.

165th 10-10-2012 07:03 AM

Great story!

Yeah to all those who researched and put the pieces together to recognize this car and get the story out.

And kudo's to you for making the decision to bring her back to her days of Glory. I know it probably wasn't your first thought on what direction to go so I applaud you.

Only here on PY would this have turned out like this!

Good luck with the restoration.

LeighP 10-10-2012 07:44 AM

Waiting on the magazine....hope I can find it locally.

Honored to have just a small part in uncovering the nature of this car's history, and getting a chance to see it in person and talk to Michael.....great to know this car is found, and in pretty good restorable condition.

The Boss 10-10-2012 08:25 AM

Very cool car, can't wait to see the story come full circle!

1qikta 10-13-2012 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got my issue. Great story.

se428bandit 10-13-2012 08:44 PM

Received my magazine today,that is a great story on that car.Looking forward to seeing that T/A restored.

Formulajones 10-16-2012 02:00 PM

I don't subscribe to that mag anymore, but it sure is neat to hear that another cars cool history is documented.

mscicluna007 10-16-2012 03:53 PM

How it all unfolded

This is where Alot of the detective work started on discovering the cars history.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=704249

Leigh was a great help along with the Rotellas and the members of the thread also.

3tas4me 10-16-2012 04:44 PM

Got my magazine the other day. It was the first article that I read. Just read it again for the second time.

Formulajones 10-16-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscicluna007 (Post 4756652)
This is where Alot of the detective work started on discovering the cars history.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=704249

Leigh was a great help along with the Rotellas and the members of the thread also.

Thanks for the link. Interesting car. Glad to see it's still around.

Brewster 10-16-2012 07:49 PM

Great read and look forward in watching the restoration.
Cheers!

mscicluna007 10-18-2012 02:19 AM

Bonnet and Shaker

4 Attachment(s)
So the Eagle had a coat of Paint but luckily when I bought the car I was given a GM Replacement Decal that is still intact and very useable.

mscicluna007 10-18-2012 02:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
So this is the block I have a 455 WT 485428 Casting Block.

Going by the numbers It belongs to one year model car only and thats a 1973 firebird T/A or Formula Manual Vehicle so if your car is missing its motor than I might have it.

It has a partial VIN and how this made its way here may answer some questions that I was seeking.

This is a complete motor with correct casting heads and Carburettor and manifold.

Only the distributor was replaced with a Mallaroy twin point dizzy.

mscicluna007 10-18-2012 02:32 AM

Heads and Intake Manifold

5 Attachment(s)
These are the 4x heads that fixed my back for a good two weeks after I tore a ligament carrying them one at a time of course.

mscicluna007 10-18-2012 02:34 AM

Shaker Setup

4 Attachment(s)
Shaker setup great to see it all their

mscicluna007 10-18-2012 02:39 AM

Turbo 400 PQ Gearbox

3 Attachment(s)
The PQ gearbox was still their.

mscicluna007 10-18-2012 03:55 AM

Torque Convertor

3 Attachment(s)
Torque Convertor with 55 Stamping