PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   60 & Older Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=426)
-   -   Fuel filter bowl gasket blues - 1957 Chieftain (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844359)

mr67gp 09-23-2020 08:20 AM

Fuel filter bowl gasket blues - 1957 Chieftain

So, after sitting for a while (months, not years), the fuel filter bowl gasket started leaking on my '57 started spewing fuel. I swapped the filter and rubber ring for a new one (Wix). It leaked worse! I wound up taking the filter housing off the carb and set/seated the gasket and bowl on housing while it was off the car. This solved the problem but only briefly. I drove the car less than a mile due to some transmission issues (see other thread on fluid change).

I let the car sit a few weeks, and when I restarted it, fuel was spewing from the bowl/housing again.

Is there a better gasket for the fuel filter bowl? Delete it and go to a metal inline filter?

Suggestions welcome. It's these simple silly problems that are maddening. At least it didn't happen while driving, or for sure the car would have burned.

Thanks,

MJVAUGHANS 09-24-2020 01:20 PM

Do you have a pic of the assembly? If it is like mine I make my own out of cork gasket material. You can sometimes find one at a farm supply store.

694.1 09-24-2020 06:02 PM

Yes, Farm supply or you can "Cut one".
He He...

mr67gp 09-08-2021 11:35 AM

Hey guys - can't believe it's almost a year since I posted this question.

I did solve the mystery of the fuel filter bowl leak. The casting actually distorted over the last 64 years to the point that the mating surface for the glass bowl and gasket was no longer flat. similar to the distortion to the air horn on the carb that I found when I got the car. Solution will be a new/reproduction filter assembly.

Just thought I would post up a resolution to this in case anyone else comes across this issue.

Cheers,

mr67gp 09-17-2021 04:45 PM

In my search for a replacement fuel filter housing, I am finding reproductions with 1/8"(!) fitting ports. WTH? Mine has 1/4" lines with 1/4" MPT ports and fittings.

mr67gp 05-09-2022 05:22 PM

I might as well update this thread, although I doubt it is of much use or interest to anyone but me.

I searched far and wide for the a correct replacement reproduction fuel filter assembly for my Chieftain. They do not exist. I bought the 1/8" port filter assembly from Ames, which they list for the '57 but is not "correct". I picked up a pair of brass adapters and got the new assembly mounted. Of course now the hard fuel line needs to be modified to accommodate the inlet now being about an inch farther from the carb than previously. I carefully bent it to fit and now I have a leak-free fuel filter bowl.

The amount of distortion of the original cast housing was quite significant.

So now I can move on to the next issues - coolant leak and malfunctioning transmission.

Heck, the car only has 34k miles on it. Quality is just not what it used to be . . . :D (just joking).

694.1 05-09-2022 05:28 PM

Those filter assemblies pop up on that internet site now & then, I have a couple spares. '57 & '8 are pretty similar.
You running a 2 or 4 bbl?
Keep swinging for the fences!

mr67gp 05-09-2022 07:55 PM

Thanks - I looked but couldn't come up with one. Used was of no interest, since the same problem could likely be found with another 65 year old cast part.

I have the high comp 2 BBL engine. It's pretty snotty. Great throttle response. Will shred the RR tire at will.

Jack Gifford 05-10-2022 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr67gp (Post 6278398)
... the mating surface for the glass bowl and gasket was no longer flat...

If you ship it to me I'll look at machining that surface flat. If not enough material to allow that, I'll epoxy the surface up some and then machine it (Devcon sets up hard and fuel-proof). PM or email me. Free service.
Sorry I didn't read this thread earlier.

mr67gp 05-10-2022 10:29 AM

Jack - that is very generous. I toyed with the thought of jigging up the housing in my lathe to machine a new gasket surface, but was concerned about thinning and cracking. I'll send you a PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Gifford (Post 6341262)
If you ship it to me I'll look at machining that surface flat. If not enough material to allow that, I'll epoxy the surface up some and then machine it (Devcon sets up hard and fuel-proof). PM or email me. Free service.
Sorry I didn't read this thread earlier.

Jack Gifford 05-11-2022 12:44 AM

I received your message and replied.