PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac Business Entities Exchange (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=469)
-   -   Reputable Pontiac Engine Builders (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571148)

zeebo 08-15-2008 12:45 AM

Reputable Pontiac Engine Builders

ok fellas..been reading your posts on here about all the bad guys in the business, now id like to see a post of the guys that build stock/hi po pontiac engines that you have had personal dealings with and had great results..id like this post to be a place where guys can get non-biased info to make a decision as to where to spend serious money and know that they are not getting hosed. personally, i have not had a motor prefessionally built, have done a few stock ones, just for daily drivers, and know (kind of) the type of thought, planning and cleanliness that goes into a rebuild..all the little pieces, bolts, etc that others seem to "misplace" i took the time to bag and label..THIS is what im asking for in a professional builder where im gonna have to drop 7-10K or more for a street motor. so, if you know of a good machine shop/builder for pontiac motors that you have first hand knowledge of..please post! thanks! zeebo

wmhjr 08-15-2008 07:09 AM

Though I don't have my new engine yet, I've spent more than enough time working with the gentleman who is doing my new one. Based on all the time, discussion, feedback and experience I've got already I'd say Dave Hillard in OH should be on the list. That is, so long as ne doesn't start on yours until mine is done :)

sal70lemans 08-15-2008 08:12 AM

ebay ID: autobohnengines/Phone 616 897 7679

I'm curious about this guy that sells Pontiac motors, etc. on ebay (claims 25+ years experience). Located in Grand Rapids, MI - which is reasonably local to me. Anyone know anything about them? I've debated calling them, but I have zero knowledge about engine building and wouldn't have a clue whether someone is full of BS or not.

Scott

Jagtec1 08-15-2008 08:22 AM

Paul Spotts, great guy, great builder!!

www.spottsperformance.com

mviker 08-15-2008 09:13 AM

The motor in my 62 GP was done by Jim Lehart at Central Virginia Machine Service. Jim listened to what I was looking for and met EVERY expectation. I've since put around 3000 miles on the car with no problems whatsoever. Jim's a great guy, and knows Pontiac motors inside-out. I'd go to him again in a heartbeat!
By the way, Jim can build you an engine anywhere from mild to wild. :o

http://www.centralvirginiamachine.com/

66 TigerGold 08-15-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagtec1 (Post 3385528)

Ditto! Can't agree more!

DOC 08-16-2008 01:22 PM

I'll second Jim Lehart at CVMS. I was just there yesterday and I have had 2 separate sets of heads done by him and couldnt have been any more pleased. Not only does he do the quality work we are all after, he takes the time to answer any techincal question you have.

I will continue using Jim for all of my engine needs.

Doc

67blackcherry 08-17-2008 12:45 PM

Southern California builders

Of course, there's
Pacific Performance Racing - Ken "Ace" Brewer is THE MAN

Then there's my neighbors
Taylor Engine - Whittier CA - one of the oldest machine shops in So Cal, same owner since the early/mid 70's, GREAT bunch of guys

Hope this helps!

428PHIL 08-20-2008 08:46 AM

Paul Spotts located in Hatfield PA. Did my 464 a couple of years ago. Motor keeps getting stronger everytime out. Wouldn't hesitate to use Paul.

r00a005 08-22-2008 01:56 PM

Ditto ditto to Paul Spotts !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtec1

Ditto! Can't agree more!

SJMule 08-23-2008 09:57 PM

I can't let this post go without giving our own Ken Keefer a shout out.

"Keefer Built".....Has a ring to it,no?

Have him put some reliable southern comfort under your hood.

Mule

ks gto (Cap) 08-25-2008 12:09 AM

If you're confined to the Central part of the country--Tom Wilhite of Derby, Ks. I can vouch for his engine building talents. Cap

zeebo 08-25-2008 02:12 AM

thanks guys for posting! actually cap, im in the metro detroit area..tho i will ship parts..it would be nice tho to be able to meet and visit the shop etc..and drop parts off...any good michigan pontiac builders?

CaptCrunch 08-25-2008 08:02 AM

Butler's did mine.........great people...........

http://www.butlerperformance.com/

spartazoo 08-26-2008 10:46 AM

Call R&B Total Performance in Niles. They did the engine for my 63 Tempest and it runs great and they listen to what you want to do. They will make suggestions based on their experiences. Talk to Roger.

Kip

GONEHAWKN 08-27-2008 03:41 PM

what about

Rock and Roll Engineering?? i noticed on their site they have complete 400's available assembled and dyno'd for $3500.00........just a thought......

TheMonkey 08-27-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GONEHAWKN (Post 3397467)
Rock and Roll Engineering?? i noticed on their site they have complete 400's available assembled and dyno'd for $3500.00........just a thought......

:popcorn:

Overkillphil 08-27-2008 05:07 PM

OH Boy! Here we go again! :eek:

Brandi Kay 08-27-2008 06:43 PM

STAY AWAY FROM ROCK AND ROLL Engineering!

Ken "Pdude" Keefer built my 455.

GONEHAWKN 08-27-2008 08:49 PM

UH OH...

did the new guy to the board open up a can of worms?? or in this case a can of whoop A** for myself.....???? i build my own stuff and know nothing about the guy except that the price seems pretty good.....now back to your regularly scheduled posting.......