PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Tri City Launcher springs (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852081)

Skip Fix 07-25-2021 08:30 PM

Tri City Launcher springs

4 Attachment(s)
So back before Caltracs these were the ticket for Stockers. Greg a Stocker Mopar racer copied Mopar SS springs for GM products. Front of the spring pack stacked and clamped. I got a best 60 ft of 1.51 with a 9" slick in my 78 TA with them. Since I have the Camaro now tacking the TA back to street cornering.

Passenger side spring closer in the picture.

Formulas 07-25-2021 09:50 PM

Similar to what I did on my own, I cut the ends / eyelets off a second set of springs used that one for spring #2 and just removed the smallest one in effect it makes the front segment more resistant to wrap up and more like a trailing arm, clamping helps to stiffen and separation on deceleration

PAUL K 07-25-2021 10:01 PM

Very cool, thanks for posting! Did you have any option as far as ride height was concerened?

I remember talking to Greg many years ago in regards to ordering a set. I think he had a location in California and Michigan at the time.

Skip Fix 07-26-2021 09:23 AM

Paul it rode like a freaking dump truck! Part of why they are coming off and they lifted the car almost 4". Thye have 5 leafs in them vs the Firebird 4 leafs also.

They flat worked though. On the 78 when racing NMCA I tried just the Herb Adams relocating front spring eye up 3/4" for increased antisquat, then that plus a slapper bar before I ordered these from Greg.

I did have the replacement springs made with the second leaf all the way to the spring eye.

PAUL K 07-26-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Fix (Post 6267292)
Paul it rode like a freaking dump truck! Part of why they are coming off and they lifted the car almost 4". Thye have 5 leafs in them vs the Firebird 4 leafs also.

They flat worked though. On the 78 when racing NMCA I tried just the Herb Adams relocating front spring eye up 3/4" for increased antisquat, then that plus a slapper bar before I ordered these from Greg.

I did have the replacement springs made with the second leaf all the way to the spring eye.

Thanks for the answer Skip. Did the car squat a lot under full throttle? Never gave it a thought but they do look like they would ride like a tank.

Instead of buying from Greg I ended up dealing with Landrum. I was quite happy with them and still have the originals in my 74 that has been mid 1.3 60 ft with Cal-tracs weighing 3860. My brother with the Firebird ran the Landrums for years but recently switched to the Calvert split monos and likes them a lot. My other brother with the Z/28 had some Landrums made with the second leaf extending over the spring eye. They worked great but he hated the harsh ride.

Skip Fix 07-26-2021 10:33 AM

Squatted with stock springs not with these. I would have them de arched if I ever wanted to use them again. Looked like I had air shocks on it!