PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=423)
-   -   Locating LS Engine (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850551)

JSchmitz 05-16-2021 02:15 PM

Locating LS Engine

3 Attachment(s)
I'm making good progress on installing my little 5.3 starter engine. I wasn't sure what kind of pre-fab mounts would be right for my car. I decided to use universal engine mounts. They look nicer and are rock solid. So now I'm trying to locate it properly before I fit weld up the frame side mounts. I know that the Pontiac engine was offset to the passenger side. The passenger frame stand is 1/2" shorter than the driver side on. Now they set on and angle, so that's not a full 1/2" offset. Anyone have any suggestions on how, and where, to measure? Needs to be level side to side, centered so the centerline of the crank is parallel with the frame, and angled up to closely match the angle of the pinion under load. Something like that. I wish I had taken some measurements before I removed the 455.

JSchmitz 05-16-2021 02:20 PM

It's being mated to the 400 turbo for now. I used an adapter plate. What a POS!!! I had to modify it so it would even work. Countersunk the back side and TIG welded some flatheads in it. Don't know how average Joe six-pack would ever use this thing. I have an SFI bellhousing on order with BOP and Chevy patterns.

Scott65 05-16-2021 02:38 PM

The kits Holley makes get very high reviews for ease of use, and proper mounting location/geometry. I'm sure they're not cheap. But the headache factor may make it a good deal... FWIW

JSchmitz 05-16-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott65 (Post 6250480)
The kits Holley makes get very high reviews for ease of use, and proper mounting location/geometry. I'm sure they're not cheap. But the headache factor may make it a good deal... FWIW

I have read good things about Holley also. I've seen where people bought the engineered mounts and had to modify anyway. So I figured that I might as well do the whole thing and end up with a nicer mount. I can do this easily once I get a handle on the numbers.

JSchmitz 05-16-2021 04:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Test fit Speed Engineering headers. Hitting on driver side lower control arm bracket a little. NBD.

Just as a quick visual, I put a framing square on the firewall and checked to see if the engine is perpendicular. Looks perfect.

Scott65 05-16-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSchmitz (Post 6250491)
I have read good things about Holley also. I've seen where people bought the engineered mounts and had to modify anyway. So I figured that I might as well do the whole thing and end up with a nicer mount. I can do this easily once I get a handle on the numbers.

They seem to be well engineered and avoid obstacles in the common stuff anyway. A, G, F body gm, Fox, sn 95, and trucks of all sorts. Looks like you have a firm grasp on it without, so that's good. Keep up the good work. And update for those of us yet to take that plunge.

JSchmitz 05-20-2021 06:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Getting closer. Trying to get front and back u-joint angles proper. Have the engine about as flat as it will go without hitting crossmember and steering. Shimmed the trans up as far as it would go (5/8" higher). Gonna have to get some adjustable upper control arms for the differential to get the rear angle in.

JSchmitz 05-20-2021 06:20 AM

How do I fix the turned pic syndrome? Ugh

Scott65 05-20-2021 07:43 AM

Idk, but pass along the answer if you find out! Mine do that too...

JSchmitz 05-21-2021 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Even with a truck intake, the hood closes with about an inch to spare.

JSchmitz 07-20-2021 06:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Still plugging away at it. I re-routed the brake line. Factory routing loops behind the crossmember. Interfered with the oil pan. Also tucked it outside the frame rails on the sides for better header clearance. Have the frame stands all welded up and bolted down. Also installed the Ultra Bell on the 400 turbo. Switched from 13" Continental converter to a tight 10". The Ultra Bell will only accommodate a 11" or 12" converter max depending on when it was made. The newer ones apparently have a little more clearance.

camerjeff 07-20-2021 12:31 PM

Wow that truck intake is tall, compared to the CTSV intake on my LS2 Solstice!

Good work so far.

JSchmitz 07-20-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camerjeff (Post 6265965)
Wow that truck intake is tall, compared to the CTSV intake on my LS2 Solstice!

Good work so far.

I was pleasantly surprised that the intake clears my hood by about 1-1/2". I want to clean off some of the unused brackets.

Thanks!

JSchmitz 08-04-2021 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I TIG welded my collectors on last night. I can't see for $h!t these days and I'm out of practice. But got it done with a little cussing. :) I decided to go with stainless ball and socket design. It doesn't require a gasket and/or sealer. Also smaller. I like it! Yes, the passenger side is angled down a little on purpose! :)

JSchmitz 08-18-2021 05:48 AM

A Little Pissed

2 Attachment(s)
As I stated previously, I put a J.W. Ultra Bell on my TH400. Last night I got the starter hooked up. I decided to crank it over a little. Immediately heard a grinding ringing sound. WTF? Lifted the car up for a look. Found that the flex-plate is barely rubbing on the bell housing!!! I was reluctant to spend $350 on a bell housing. But I figured it was the right way to do it. This is inexcusable!!! This is as simple of a design as it gets. No mystery here. The only odd consideration is that it's a 5.3. The flex-plate is offset about .400" to the rear on these. But the bell housing is machined parallel to the crank centerline. I'm not past the machined portion. So it shouldn't hit. Everything went together with no indication of binding. Oh well, more work...

Scott65 08-18-2021 06:29 AM

I think I've read somewhere about different flexplates being required for different i.e. older transmissions behind these engines. No firsthand experience here though. LS1 Tech has a special section devoted to retrofit/putting LS engines in cars that never came with them. It's called Conversions/Hybrids I think. Bet you can find the answer to your issue there.

JSchmitz 08-18-2021 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott65 (Post 6273198)
I think I've read somewhere about different flexplates being required for different i.e. older transmissions behind these engines. No firsthand experience here though. LS1 Tech has a special section devoted to retrofit/putting LS engines in cars that never came with them. It's called Conversions/Hybrids I think. Bet you can find the answer to your issue there.

I searched about it. There are a few stories about this same problem. I'll get it fixed. Just a little extra work. I'm sure most here don't give a rats a$$ about my "LS" problems. LOL! I have perused the LS conversion boards. Lots of good info out there. Thanks!

Scott65 08-18-2021 07:57 AM

I'm interested in it and I'm sure others are as well. I'm gonna build an LS engine one of these days. Whether it goes in my Pontiac or not it undetermined as of now.

JSchmitz 08-18-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott65 (Post 6273215)
I'm interested in it and I'm sure others are as well. I'm gonna build an LS engine one of these days. Whether it goes in my Pontiac or not it undetermined as of now.

I appreciate the interest! Good luck with your build!

JSchmitz 08-18-2021 10:38 AM

I will tell you that J.W. Performance Transmissions was very nice about the whole thing. They offered to replace it or re-machine the part. I will try to do it myself likely.