PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Test & Tune (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=472)
-   -   sideways pics (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805594)

vitamin c 05-25-2017 11:53 AM

sideways pics

for the life of me, I cant seem to figure out how to post pics right side up. usually taken from my phone, and tried several different ways. how the hell do you rotate them, and also how do you post large pics without having to clink on the link (or smaller pic)

linden_gto 05-25-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitamin c (Post 5743101)
for the life of me, I cant seem to figure out how to post pics right side up. usually taken from my phone, and tried several different ways. how the hell do you rotate them, and also how do you post large pics without having to clink on the link (or smaller pic)

the pics would need to be adjusted before uploading. i'm not aware of a rotation feature post-upload. open them in a local editing program and see how they look there - maybe paint on a pc. as for the large images, they have to be hosted somewhere on the web - flickr, etc. - and linked to. uploaded photos will be thumbnails.

vitamin c 05-25-2017 12:25 PM

well I've checked them before uploading and they are correct, then after the post they are sideways. other members have rotated them for me after posting.

johnta1 05-29-2017 06:33 AM

How are you checking them?

On your phone?

I think the phone is what is making them rotated.

Also are they 'saved as' (with a name or something ) before uploading or just uploaded as taken?

:confused:

vitamin c 05-29-2017 08:48 AM

I've tried holding the phone in different positions to see if that's the problem and it doesn't matter. I usually upload the pics to my computer "save as" and they are correct. after uploading to the site is when they rotate. If I recall, even previewing before posting they are correct. Ive had this problem on different forums so its something I'm doing. how are others able to rotate my pics for me?

tekheavy 05-29-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitamin c (Post 5744371)
I've tried holding the phone in different positions to see if that's the problem and it doesn't matter. I usually upload the pics to my computer "save as" and they are correct. after uploading to the site is when they rotate. If I recall, even previewing before posting they are correct. Ive had this problem on different forums so its something I'm doing. how are others able to rotate my pics for me?

Once the pic is on your computer, you can open them up with Paint or any other photo editing software and rotate the pic.

Right click on the pic, then open with Paint. Rotate the pic then save it.

Shiny 06-21-2018 01:46 AM

I'm having the same issue, any solutions?

If I have a "portrait" photo (taller than wide), they get rotated when uploaded to this site.

If I have a "landscape" photo or even square, this doesn't happen.

The photos look fine on my PC when opened using the MSFT "Photos" program, so it's not that simple.

Can I modify the photos someway to prevent this? If I crop them to square or wider than tall, it works fine.

burd 06-24-2018 01:47 PM

Someone needs to put the better uploader on this site, I know, I just did mine, no more screwy pics.

Shiny 06-24-2018 10:43 PM

It's weird... if I save a copy of the pic, then upload the copy it seems to work fine.

Agree this should just work.

Greg Reid 06-25-2018 08:47 AM

I have rotated pics for users with this problem. I simply saved the pics to my computer's hard drive, rotated them and re-posted.
Also, you don't have to have a photo hosting site to post full size...well, you do but it can be THIS site. Post the pics here in the usual way. Right click on the resulting link and post that link in the text of your post, bracketed with the '[img] [/img]' tags.
That's why you see the thumbnail and the full size pic in the post.

72pontiac 06-25-2018 10:00 PM

I finally figured out if I crop the picture it will come out right side up. nothing else I tried would work.

Shiny 06-26-2018 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72pontiac (Post 5898907)
I finally figured out if I crop the picture it will come out right side up. nothing else I tried would work.

Very similar to my experience.

Do you have to crop them square presidential tall?

I save my pics on OneDrive. Any chance that's a common link?

Also, I said if I save a copy, then upload the copy, it doesn't rotate it. Have you tried that?

johnta1 06-26-2018 09:12 AM

I still say it's from the phone.
The pics have meta-data that tells the phone to be able to rotate it when phone rotates. So the 'width' becomes the 'height' when rotated basically.
When uploaded here, the software can't figure out the dimensions I think?
Uses what it thinks is horizontal probably? (longer width than height)

Cropping the pic probably changes the meta-data in the pic.

Also, the higher res pics are still cut down when uploaded.
Most of my pics are very readable, but usually end up blurry when uploaded.

But most pics seem to be better than a few years ago.

:)

Burd, which bbs format is your forum?

:confused:

Shiny 06-26-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnta1 (Post 5899058)
I still say it's from the phone.
The pics have meta-data that tells the phone to be able to rotate it when phone rotates. So the 'width' becomes the 'height' when rotated basically.
When uploaded here, the software can't figure out the dimensions I think?
Uses what it thinks is horizontal probably? (longer width than height)

Cropping the pic probably changes the meta-data in the pic.

Winner!

Thank you johnta1

Something called "EXIF" data apparently is being ignored according to this blurb:

Link to Online Explanation

For now, I'll edit and save again on my PC or crop before I upload.