PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=420)
-   -   New Cold Case radiator warped (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799991)

Dens71TA 01-12-2017 03:04 PM

New Cold Case radiator warped

I just received my Cold Case radiator for my '71 Trans Am and it has about a 3/4" twist in the core from the TIG welding process. Is this a problem or nothing to worry about? I doubt the plastic radiator shroud can withstand pulling it flat when the bolts are installed.

Does anyone have a contact phone number for Cold Case? The website only lists a FAX number and a sales e-mail. Nothing for technical support.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...5&d=1484185971

brad900 01-12-2017 11:56 PM

844-732-5265

Pepi 01-13-2017 07:06 AM

I wouldn't think it would be a problem once you mount it. But it will be interesting to see what they say.

tempest1964 01-13-2017 09:57 AM

Shouldn't matter if its a fitment problem or not. It's brand new, you paid for a new one. Not a defective one. They should stand behind their product. I believe they will. Let us know.

GT182 01-24-2017 11:43 PM

Also check here on the Cold Case website....http://coldcaseradiators.com/warranty.

Note that Max Performance, formerly Performance Years, makes them.

Pepi 01-25-2017 07:19 AM

Any update on what they did for you?

Ccass 02-06-2017 06:36 PM

Just noticing this topic. It wouldn't be a problem but we don't ever like to see a radiator go out like this. Maybe it took a hit in shipping? Either way, CC wants to replace that for you. I see return paperwork on the system so unless I hear otherwise in this topic, it looks like your going to get a new one. Sorry for the inconvenience.

tempest1964 02-06-2017 06:57 PM

Thanks for the reply Chris. I knew you guys would stand behind your product(s). Good service and support is the best salesperson!

Dens71TA 02-06-2017 11:05 PM

Cold Case sent my a new unwarped radiator. I don't think the twist was from shipping as the box arrived in good condition and the radiator was generously bubble wrapped. The radiator is very rigid and I couldn't get it to flatten by pushing on the corners.

Ccass 02-07-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dens71TA (Post 5694064)
Cold Case sent my a new unwarped radiator. I don't think the twist was from shipping as the box arrived in good condition and the radiator was generously bubble wrapped. The radiator is very rigid and I couldn't get it to flatten by pushing on the corners.

Let us know how it fits and cools!

BierManVA 03-18-2017 05:05 PM

For what it's worth, I order one for my 1970 GTO a few months ago. I noticed the exact same warp so this is something that is not a one-of-a-kind thing. There is an issue with your welding jig, etc. I wasn't happy with the Quality Control as it was very easy to see this when the radiator was laying flat.

I decided to test fit it and see how it went. Once in the shroud, and everything tightened up, it was fine. It kicks out at the bottom on the rubber mounts but is unnoticeable at the top. Heck, I doubt once its in anyone would notice unless I told them and even then wouldn't see it.

The tanks on this radiator are also not as wide/deep as the original style. Leaving a gap in the shroud on the sides of about 1/4-1/2". I accepted this as one of those "New parts" kind of fitment things and just extended my shroud by riveting some hard plastic to it and trimming it nice. Another one of those things that is not mentioned in the Cold Case literature.

vidguy 06-07-2017 11:05 AM

I just opened the Cold Case I purchased on Ebay from them last June. It too is warped.. I am going to put the core support back in this week, we'll see how it fits. I know its been a long time. It has been in the undamaged box since then.

GT182 06-19-2017 10:46 AM

I just picked one up Saturday at the show for my 66 GTO with manual tranny. Part # PC119ACC. It's not warped but the petcock is on the driver's side not the passenger's side where it should be. Anyone see this with theirs?

Ccass 06-19-2017 02:54 PM

I just posted in the other topic. The petcock on all Pontiacs I've seen should be on the drivers side.

Ccass 06-19-2017 02:56 PM

If your radiator was warped and it wasn't a 2nd purchased at a show or on Ebay, then please contact us and we'll have it picked up and replace it with a new one.

Toll free 844-732-5265

heckinohio 06-27-2017 08:25 AM

Petcock

Always on the right side of early cars.....may have changed w/crossflow radiators, but I dont have any w/drain on the left.

PJH

GT182 06-28-2017 12:21 PM

Thanks for confirming that PJ. :thumbup:

Looking at mine from the front, the petcock is just to the left of the steering box. As I've said before all the 66es, the 63 and 64 had them on the passenger's side of the radiator. Tho I have had one confirmation from a fellow forum member that his 67 original radiator has the petcock just left of the steering box too. 67 could have been "the year of change", but not for the older cars.