PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   74-76 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=440)
-   -   Seat belt types (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855987)

455-4+1 01-17-2022 05:06 AM

Seat belt types

Hi there, can anyone shed some light on belt types. My 76 TA has front belts with a retractor on both the shoulder and lap belt portion, with a fixed female stalk.
I took a look at a possible doner set from a 77 Esprit, not only were buckles different (stalks would not interchange) but no retractable on lap section.
So I began searching, and could only find replacement type belts, with no retractable on lap section.
Was the retractable lap section an option, a 76 only anomaly, or...........
Thanks for your help 😁

unruhjonny 01-17-2022 01:06 PM

I wish I could help more;
I misread your post and was going to comment, then I re-read your post and think I understand what you mean.

If you post pictures of what you have (and would like to replace (and maybe why you want to replace them) I wouldn't doubt someone here can help - several members sell parts.

455-4+1 01-17-2022 02:32 PM

Hi there, red belts were from 76, they have a retractor on the lap section as well as the shoulder, black belts were from a 77 (from memory).
They (along with most replacements I have seen for sale) have no retractor on the lap section.
Just wondering if the retractor lap was an upgrade / option / 1 year only deal or something, and if it was discontinued, for what reason.
Just wondering what style is better to go with for my car?

455-4+1 01-17-2022 02:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Belt pics

burd 01-17-2022 03:16 PM

Find a set on a car being parted out.
A while back a buddy parted out a low mile 76, no title and it had rust, but the interior was perfect. Their out there.

78w72 01-18-2022 11:03 AM

i just sold a nice set of the lap retractor type belts, they were from a 75 t/a. cant say for sure what years they were available or if it was an upgrade option over the normal shoulder retractor style but ive seen them on more than just one year of car.

might want to post a wanted ad on here for them or check ebay, *they're out there.

455-4+1 01-19-2022 02:36 PM

Thanks for the replies, so no rationale for the lap retractors in these years?.
Just wonder why they were discontinued on later years, cost, safety concerns,??.
Also havnt been able to find out if Std issue or an option?

Brentco 01-19-2022 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My 76 also has the dual retractable seat belts. And I’ve gone through the same thing trying to find comparable replacement belts and finding none whatsoever. It seems like there are not many quality reproduction belt options in general, and I figured no one made a direct replacement.

The dealer sheet indicates that some aspect of the belts was an upgrade that was part of the custom/deluxe trim package. Option code ”AK1.” I don’t know if the retractable lap section was one of the differences though.

As far as which belts to put in, I have sometimes found my dual retractable belts to be kind of awkward. At times the lap belt seems to end up ratcheting itself too tight. This may be due to the age of the mechanisms rather than the design though.

If you find good replacement belts I’d love to find a source.

ladytata 01-20-2022 07:45 AM

Lap shoulder harnesses type started in 74, 74s are a one year only, they will not interchange/ work with 75s…never had a 76, and yes 77-81 was a whole new belt style

pontiacstogo 01-20-2022 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 455-4+1 (Post 6312007)
Thanks for the replies, so no rationale for the lap retractors in these years?.
Just wonder why they were discontinued on later years, cost, safety concerns,??.
Also havnt been able to find out if Std issue or an option?

Belts were the same in the custom and standard interior trims so any differences you are seeing will be due to changes in the model years. My 74 has retractors at the roof and the lap belt.

BTW - if you're ever in Waihi, feel free to stop in and chat about Pontiacs!

Brentco 02-09-2022 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladytata (Post 6312185)
Lap shoulder harnesses type started in 74, 74s are a one year only, they will not interchange/ work with 75s…never had a 76, and yes 77-81 was a whole new belt style

So it sounds like either there was a two-year run of the same belts in 75 and 76 or each year had their own one-off styles. Either way, it explains why I have had no luck finding a replacement for my 76.