PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   73-77 A-body TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=439)
-   -   Picked up a 73 Grand Am (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865935)

big matt 04-15-2023 07:57 PM

Picked up a 73 Grand Am

Hello all. I have purchased a 73 grand am. Its numbering matching, triple black, 400 and a 4 speed. It runs and drives. If anyone has anything to share as far as pros or cons to these later a bodies, i would like to hear it. I dont see much action in this part of the forum, so i am tending to think bot many people have these cars. I have a couple pics and a phs i can post if there is interest. Will have more once i take delivery of it.

keith k 04-15-2023 10:00 PM

This one?
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=861760

Would love to see pics - sounds like a pretty unique car.

Stuart 04-16-2023 12:26 AM

The actual for sale thread for the car is here: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=861772

big matt 04-16-2023 06:49 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Yep thats the one. I found the car here on py. The seller has been great to deal with. I can post a few pics

big matt 04-16-2023 07:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have located a repop fiberglass 73 grand am nose, and grills, and i have a naca hood. The plan is to fix the small things i find and have a new top put on. Also recover the front seats, update the suspension, brakes, tires, and exhaust.
Must be a sign of my age. I used to think 73+ a bodies were ugly. Till last summer i saw a 73 chevelle 454 4 speed and a 74 buick century gs 4 speed, and i became hooked. I have an attraction to oddball things i suppose.

Stuart 04-16-2023 07:36 AM

Very cool car. I recall a guy I knew back around 1976-1977 who had a triple black Grand Am with a sunroof and honeycomb wheels (although his was an automatic); it was a striking car.

big matt 04-16-2023 01:23 PM

Yep i am looking forward to this car. I am a diehard when it comes to pontiacs. I know some may say i will go to hell, but i do have a full set of year one honeys to throw on. I also have a umi suspension package for that car. Cant wait to get into it. I admit, i have an addiction.

b-man 04-16-2023 01:37 PM

The ‘73 Grand Am is quite a stunning looking car.

I remember when I was about 13 years old there was a display of all the new ‘73 models at our local mall. The all new Grand Am really stood out styling-wise amongst all the new ‘73 offerings.

I remember squishing that flexible nose piece inward a few times, my friends and I thought that was really cool. :cool2:

Looks like a really solid project, good luck and have fun with it. :thumbup:

big matt 04-16-2023 03:08 PM

Will do thanks B man

camerjeff 04-16-2023 08:53 PM

They are very nice driving cars, the 4-speed is a big plus IMO, the manual trans cars usually have at least a 3.23 rear gear.
Great pick up, I think you will enjoy the car. the 73-75 cars are a bit on the heavy side, but putting 100 or so more HP in them really wake them up.

keith k 04-16-2023 09:12 PM

Looks like a great project!
I am a big fan of the colonnade A-body coupes.

kingbuzzo 04-16-2023 11:40 PM

You never see them anymore...very cool

78Macho 04-17-2023 03:59 PM

New Purchase

Congratulations on your new project car! No doubt, someone really planned out this order. Colors, fully loaded, 4 speed and a power sunroof. Couldn't get any cooler back in the day.

Please keep us posted on your restoration progress!!!

big matt 04-17-2023 06:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple more

mgarblik 04-19-2023 08:52 AM

That car will be really nice when you get it done. I think there isn't much action on here concerning them because of rarity and low survival rate. The body looks to be as good as any I have seen un-restored. They rusted so badly in the Midwest, many were off the road due to rust in 5-7 years. A friend of mine had one that was rusted all the way through in the roof, quarter window area, leaking water inside the car and it was 4 years old. That car with a healthy 400 and a manual transmission and triple black will be a stunner. Best of luck with it. Cool and unique.

big matt 04-19-2023 08:28 PM

Word is, this car came from Florida. It was a dealer promo car in 1973. The dealer i guess felt the 73 gto would receive backlash with the new body design. Wanting to keep some sales, this dealer took a new to the brand model, decked it out, and thats that.. I hope the car turns out as nice as i think it will. Yes it will be some effort, but i am not a type if guy that demands a perfect car. I like drivers. Patina, rust, original paint, ect. Just mainly i seek proper function and reliability. Thanks!

JayTee 04-20-2023 02:32 AM

Congratulations on your purchase and nice find on a well optioned Grand Am. Imo the general pros of these collanade era cars are the improved handling from the previous a-bodies and the rarety of them on the road. The general cons for these vehicles are parts availability and power to weight ratio. Dashes, center consoles, and rear sail window panels are hard to find and the cost for them are very high compared to previous a-bodies. From the pics you have uploaded, it looks like most of the high ticket & hard to find interior parts are in good condition. Along with having what looks to be a complete car, these should keeep your restoration cost down, unless you decide to get extravagant on the rebuild!

Stuart 04-20-2023 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayTee (Post 6422272)
Dashes, center consoles, and rear sail window panels are hard to find and the cost for them are very high compared to previous a-bodies.

They did have great interiors. The dashboard and gauge cluster is one of the best ever in a Pontiac, in my opinion.

unruhjonny 04-20-2023 09:41 AM

congrats on the purchase.

I was going to ask if that was a GTO front end - but it looks like I am correct.

There was a 73(?) 455/auto car locally years ago… i would have loved to buy it.

these ARE unique cars - combined with a great 400/4bbl and the four speed, I’m guessing it will be a fun car.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of these WITHOUT a console!?

big matt 04-24-2023 07:50 PM

Now, i have not taken delivery of the car yet to check. I will have it home this weekend. But my question is the 4 speed trans code is m20 on the phs. Does that code mean it has a muncie in it? I thought after 72, a ton of car came with either saginaw or t-10 gear boxes. Just a thought. I do know the shifter is needing a rebuild. Just thinking ahead.