PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-72 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=436)
-   -   70 GTO 8 track mounting scews (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870992)

JUDGEMAN70 12-22-2023 06:24 PM

70 GTO 8 track mounting scews

does anyone reproduce the mounting hardware for an eight track to console? Mine is missing, have the bracket but I believe there are spacers between console and bracket. thanks

JUDGEMAN70 12-23-2023 10:47 AM

Does anyone have used for sale?

DavesGTO 12-23-2023 09:58 PM

none for sale since i misplaced mine but what i did was buy P/N B143K from our sponsor. i used the long plastic pieces and cut them down to 1/2" pieces IIRC and used as the spacers.

north 01-25-2024 06:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The original spacers are about 3/8" OD steel pipe 0.8" long. Put a bit of playdoh or something sticky on the bottom edge so they don't fall while you are installing the 8 track saddle over the console. The below pictures are of a set of factory installed originals on a survivor car. Easily made with a dremel or hacksaw. When making my own on other cars I actually cut each piece of pipe slightly different length so I can get the 8 track dead level. Most cars had the console and or 8 track floor brackets mounted a bit off so the 8 track sits crooked. The third pic is of that survivor car. You can see that the console is not on even keel with the 8 track bracket, typical sloppy assembly work and the dealer add on ones are usually even worse.

JUDGEMAN70 01-31-2024 01:50 PM

North, Thanks for sharing that info. I didnt realize the bracket that holds the eight track player stood off the console a quarter inch or so. I thought it was mounted flat on console. I put half inch spacers between bottom of console and floor mount bracket and screwed 8 track bracket flat on top of console. Now that I know correct way easy fix. thanks

north 01-31-2024 04:52 PM

Glad to help, the importance of those spacers apart from esthetics is to have a solid electrical ground between the player and the floor bracket.

Btw, if you need any radio or 8 track service you should look up Howard Foulds, he go’s by mrgrandprix on this site I think.

the70OOJudge 02-01-2024 04:38 PM

I am just about to get ready to install mine I have those spacers but I guess Its best to mock up the console with the inside bracket to put the holes in the console properly heh

north 02-02-2024 08:55 PM

If your floor bracket is loose you can use it to locate the holes in the console since the far front screw that holds the console goes through the far front hole on the floor bracket. Good news is if you are a bit off the tape player provides a bunch of overhang so you can always enlarge the holes. Btw, there are dimples on the floor pan for the four screws that hold the bracket but there are no marks on either the manual or automatic console to locate the holes for the 8 track.