PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   61-63 Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=427)
-   -   Convertible Tonneau Question (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859892)

tekuhn 07-07-2022 11:48 AM

Convertible Tonneau Question

Can anyone please explain how the leading edge of a '63 convertible tonneau cover is supposed to attach to the upper edge of the rear seat back cushion? Someone had tried gluing Velcro to mine, but it's not holding and has left a sticky mess. Thank you!

Peter Serio 07-07-2022 01:00 PM

The factory used a formed metal "channel" that was attached to the rear facing upper edge of the vertical back seat frame.

Into that the soft vinyl boot has a long riveted piece of black plastic that slides (sideways) into the channel. The first part of putting the boot on is to slide this all the way into the channel.

There is a ton of wind action in that area (at speeds) and the channel connection prevents the boot from ever lifting out away off of the back edge of the rear seat.

If you need photos let me know I will photo my boot and the metal channel in case works don't make sense here.

tekuhn 07-07-2022 02:07 PM

Peter - pictures would be most helpful! The cover does have a piece of black vinyl (fairly soft) sewn into the front edge, and there is a piece of metal attached to the seat back, but the metal bracket is basically a 90 degree angle iron and I cannot see how the two would attach to each other.

The wind issue is exactly why I'm seeking this information, because it definitely does start flapping around because it's not attached.

Thank you!

Jack Gifford 07-08-2022 01:04 AM

Merely trivia-
It's usually called a "top boot". A tonneau cover typically covers all but the front seat, or all but the driver's seat of some sports cars.

tekuhn 07-08-2022 09:01 AM

Thank you for that - I'm a fan of precise wording.

I'm told the cover was originally marketed as a replacement for a '63 Buick Special, but all snaps and seams align perfectly. I suppose the front edge might not attach the same way the Pontiacs did, but that seems unlikely.

Peter Serio 07-11-2022 12:56 PM

Could you post a couple of photos of your tonneau cover? I have never seen one of those before for a '63. On your original post I thought you were asking about the boot that covers the top when it's in the down position.

Does your tonneau cover use a wooden (arched) bow in-behind the front seats to keep it from sagging?

A '63 Buick Special/Skylark convertible is a similar body to the Tempest/Lemans however the floor pan and the drive train are completely different. I think the folding top assy. would be very similar between those 2 cars if not identical. GM offered a manual as well as a power assisted top on those two cars.

tekuhn 07-11-2022 01:07 PM

Hi Peter - I was indeed asking about the convertible top boot that I was incorrectly referring to as a tonneau cover. I just need to see how the leading edge of it attaches to the rear seat back to prevent it from catching air underneath and flapping. My car has a piece of angle iron attached to the seat back with velcro (loop) on it and a corresponding piece of velcro (hook) glued to the boot. It does not work well, and I would like to put the correct pieces on to fix the problem. Perhaps what I am calling angle-iron is the actual correct piece, but if it is, I cannot find a channel into which the black strip on the cover could slide. My car has a manual top. In fact, I have a feeling that my car does not have a single factory option on it. Does PHS cover these cars?

Peter Serio 07-11-2022 01:31 PM

63 Lemans top boot

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a the front edge of my new blue top boot. There is a black vinyl "bead" sewn into the boot. That is what holds it onto the back edge of the rear seat.

The bead slides (side to side) into a metal channel which I will go & photo that for the next post.

The way that GM made these parts to fit one another; I do not think it would be possible for high wind speeds to ever "peel" the boot off of the car on the freeway!

tekuhn 07-11-2022 01:40 PM

Well, that's good news! My cover looks identical that that. Worst case is that the metal bracket is not correct, and I will need to find one. Looking forward to the next set of pictures. Thanks for your help.

Peter Serio 07-11-2022 02:38 PM

63 Lemans top boot/ part 2

4 Attachment(s)
Here is the metal channel.

tekuhn 07-11-2022 03:08 PM

Thank you very much! I definitely do not have that bracket, but simply a piece of angle there. I will start looking for the correct one. Do you know if all '61-'63 are the same, or does it need to be from a '63?

tekuhn 07-11-2022 03:14 PM

One last request if you don't mind? Can you measure the distance from the top of the rear seat-back down to the screws on the bracket? I don't want to assume that this bracket that someone put on my car, is mounted in the correct location. Thank you!