PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Who’s the guy in the Royal Pontiac pic? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863790)

burd 01-04-2023 11:32 AM

Who’s the guy in the Royal Pontiac pic?

3 Attachment(s)
Read an old Royal Article in HPP. I don’t think it’s Wangers. It’s says he’s on the right. ?
You can see Milt working on a car, nice article.

Stuart 01-04-2023 11:43 AM

Which picture are you talking about?

Tom Vaught 01-04-2023 12:02 PM

Not Wangers in the first picture along with Frank R and Roger H.

That guy has a full head of hair. Wangers had two receding hairlines on his head even back in the early 60s.
Maybe Ace Wilson, Jr (who was the old man Ace Wilson,sr's son).

Ace Wilson, the first, bought the dealership for his son to play with, but Ace, sr hated cars.

Tom V.

burd 01-04-2023 12:02 PM

First. Says who’s who of the 3 guys. Read that caption. Maybe it’s a young Jim.
Site uploader should correct pics on their side but it didn’t.

Keith Seymore 01-04-2023 01:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Agree - I don't know who that guy is in the first pic.

It's Huntington (seated), Frank Rediker (with moustache), unknown, Wangers is just out of view on the right. It's not Ace Jr, who is shown below with Mr Wangers next to the Swiss Cheese car.

It's not a young Jim. Pics of a "young" Jim Wangers attached below.

Pic #2 is Dave Warren and Milt. Dave was a mechanic at Royal by day, hired shoe at night. He was also the main "Mystery Tiger" driver.

Pic #3 is Frank Rediker. Frank was the brains of the outfit. His son Frank Jr worked for GM Powertrain during my era (probably retired by now).

K

Keith Seymore 01-04-2023 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vaught (Post 6397883)

That guy has a full head of hair. Wangers had two receding hairlines on his head even back in the early 60s.

LOL.

My dad's response, after seeing this picture, was something like: "...no - that's not.......Wangers is.........that hair!!"

K

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...0&d=1672854779

Tim john 01-04-2023 08:39 PM

Interesting observation on the Swiss Cheese car, no ox blood red hood scoop installed. All the pictures I have seem show the scoop on the 63 Swiss Cheese. Granted I have not seen many photos or old films but a fair amount.

Tim john---

burd 01-04-2023 10:30 PM

I chatted with milt at the last Inline Tube Cruze in. He had his car there too. We talked for like an hour.
Keith, you ever talk with that older guy who has all the Royal stuff for sale at the local swaps? He’s got some cool stuff.

Andre 01-05-2023 08:37 AM

I'm going to look at the picture of the guys(including Milt) with the 66 GTO in front of the dealership. When I bought it from Milt some years back, I asked him to id the guys by writing their names on the picture. I will look to see if this unknown is one of them. Some of you might have heard the story I tell of my friend Mike Carroll who worked at that dealership at the same time as Milt. In his words, he was in the back working on cars while everyone else was taking pictures. For one reason or another, he and Milt didn't see eye to eye on something or another. Mike went on to serve as a crew chief for a Huey helicopter in Vietnam. About 10 years or more ago he finished restoring a static version of that chopper as a tribute to "his guys" . He takes it to shows and lets people sit in it etc. I had given him Milts contact information back in 2018, but I don't know if they ever reconnected.

Keith Seymore 01-05-2023 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre (Post 6398157)
Some of you might have heard the story I tell of my friend Mike Carroll who worked at that dealership at the same time as Milt. In his words, he was in the back working on cars while everyone else was taking pictures. For one reason or another, he and Milt didn't see eye to eye on something or another.

Roger that. Same with dad (and me, too). I'd rather be in the background working on stuff than making speeches.

Milt and Mr Wangers had that in common: they were both very good at self promotion.

K

burd 01-05-2023 12:26 PM

Well if no one took any pictures we wouldn’t have any history to talk over years later.

Andre 01-06-2023 05:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As promised..... I got this in 2002.

Tom Vaught 01-06-2023 06:04 PM

Keith, we know it is not Wangers, as he is on the right.

Keith, I only met Jack Watson a couple of times (The Hurst Shifty Doctor),
but I will say with a high probability that picture included Jack Watson..
2nd guy on the left

Jack lived in Michigan until his death.

Tom V.

HoovDaddy 01-06-2023 06:06 PM

Some history. Here's a pic I found under my workbench when I moved in there in '73 after Shaffo took over the dealer, then Fresard took it over and I stayed on for 10 years. On the back is a written thank you note; the guy in the pic installed Rader wheels, Michelin tires, had the engine balanced and heads ported, also Cyclone headers. After saying thank you, he writes "This GTO is the best thing since sex." I sold off all of my Royal memorabilia years ago but always kept this photo.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...7&d=1643402205

burd 01-06-2023 09:44 PM

That is cool.
The kid that worked in the Fresard Parts Dept, now runs the Cadillac parts dept, he’s helped me out a few times with Pontiac Stuff, until recently, they had all the old keys still. He hand cut me 2 sets a few years back.

burd 01-27-2023 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some good articles