PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   61-63 Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=427)
-   -   Any word on the #50 replica (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849376)

Darren 639 03-28-2021 04:36 AM

Any word on the #50 replica

Hello all I was wondering if any progress was made on the Paul Goldsmith super duty tribute car? I haven’t seen any thing and the car in a few. I remember it was coming along really nice. I always wanted a road racing 1963. Probably never happen at my age...if so maybe pictures? Tom’s SD intake would look incredible on it.

Chiefkey 03-28-2021 12:42 PM

According to the Hot Rod article the car used the factory transaxle. Any info on what they did to make it last racing 250 miles behind a 421 SD ? Are there any technical articles or details available on the design and construction of these SD transaxles ? Photo's, Engineering Drawings, Specifications, etc ?
JK

tom s 03-28-2021 03:17 PM

I owned a SD transaxle what do you want to know?The weakest part was the R&P.Bullet proof trans.Tom

Chiefkey 03-28-2021 03:35 PM

I just find the engineering aspect of these units fascinating especially since they made so few. Did you ever have yours apart ? Where did they differ from the regular transaxle and what parts were the same. Do any engineering records or drawings still exist ? Why did they choose to retain the transaxle for the super duty's instead of using the big car rear axle like the racers eventually did ? Did their testing not reveal the inherent weakness of the Corvair style differential ?I'm assuming since you said you "owned one" (past tense) you no longer have it ?
JK

tom s 03-28-2021 05:52 PM

I actually bought it with intentions to use it.Found out after that they dont have a differential.The axles are way bigger,the stub shafts going into the rear end are opposite of a regular 63 V8 car.The inside has a spline shaft that goes straight thru the assm and the stub shaft (female) goes over the steel shaft(making it a spool)The unit consisted of a basic 63 Tempest TQ 2 speed auto.Engineering made a 2 speed planetary system to attach to it to make it a 4 speed manual automatic.What ever gear it was indexed is the gear it stayed in until you moved it up or down.They used a hyd bearing mounted to the rear for the clutch and flywheel.I sold it when I fond it was not going to driveable on the street to Ken Freeman in OK for his real 63 SD tempest. I will post some pics of the assm ASAP.
Until then I will post a link of the genius I bought it from and you can read what he was able to build with one.Enjoy.Tom

tom s 03-28-2021 05:53 PM

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read...,454975,455550

tom s 03-28-2021 05:56 PM

This is the better link.
https://www.corvaircorsa.com/V-12-01.html

tom s 03-28-2021 06:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
pics

tom s 03-28-2021 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
one more

tom s 03-28-2021 06:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This was the car and the engine it would have been behind.The engine is a FACTORY all Alu engine that I found at M/Ts back in 1964 and finally got my hands on it a built it.Tom

Chiefkey 03-28-2021 07:28 PM

Thanks Tom...that's a lot to digest. Sounds like you could be a great source for several articles in "Smoke Signals" like the recent Dimitri Toth series. It seems the more information you post here...the more questions I can think of.
Just that all aluminum engine from M/T's shop sounds like a story I'd love to hear more about.

Chiefkey 03-28-2021 07:42 PM

So the stub shafts and axles were fabricated by engineering, but the two-speed
planetary case looks like a commercial unit unless they cast up a special case.
What about the ring and pinion ? Was that custom ? You'd think if they went and beefed up the axles and stubs they would have done something similar with the R&P unless there were space constraints within the differential case. Was a stock differential case used or is that a "one of" too ? Was the torque tube and shaft modified in any way ? Did it connect directly to the crankshaft or did they use a clutch assembly up front too ? Sorry if this is too many questions...like I said, it's just a fascinating piece of engineering
JK

tom s 03-28-2021 07:58 PM

The problem was the deal still used the 7.5 R&P.On the drag cars with slicks they lasted 10-12 passes.The other deal was 3.90 was the lowest avail.I gave the drawings to Ken when I sold him the SD transaxle and Engineering tooled up for what im told was a Xtra for each of the 12 factory cars,not including the 2 mule cars.Tom

tom s 03-28-2021 08:23 PM

The rope shaft bolted directly to the crank just like 326 auto cars.The stick shift stoke cars got a clutch and flywheel up front with a short shaft that was splined to go into the clutch disk and that piece bolted to the rope shaft.The auto car had the TQ converter hanging off the back of the trans axle assm.The SDs as you could see in the pic of mine had the flywheel and starter hanging on the back with the custom made hyd clutch mech.The SD trans axle cars used the clutch to launch and often in the pits as the shift was very violent.I actually got to go for a ride in Jays Corvair.He figured out how to make a differential for the car along with hanging a converter off the back.He even adapted a fan off the back to make the Corvair rear engine air cooled sound.The V12 Jag engine with the twin Buick throttle bodies was another unique deal he did in his own shop.He worked for GM in the early 60s and I believe he owned 4 of the transaxle assm.HMT offered him the Yourtown blue 63 SD tempest mule car for $3000 but Jay already had a 63 tempest with a 421 HO engine in it.Don Keefe did a article of the build up of the alu pontiac engine.I will post the mag and year and month as you might be able to buy one on Ebay.Tom

tom s 03-28-2021 08:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Alu engine

tom s 03-28-2021 08:32 PM

Sorry,no clue why it sometimes flips pic from my phone.Tom

tom s 03-28-2021 08:34 PM

Here you go!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-PERFOR...wAAOSw9RZeKJJk

Doug 03-28-2021 08:36 PM

Page #40 in this 61-63 forum has a discussion of this car. I posted pages from the June-1963 HOT ROD article about the car.

pont406 03-28-2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren 639 (Post 6237374)
Hello all I was wondering if any progress was made on the Paul Goldsmith super duty tribute car? I haven’t seen any thing and the car in a few. I remember it was coming along really nice. I always wanted a road racing 1963. Probably never happen at my age...if so maybe pictures? Tom’s SD intake would look incredible on it.

Roger Rosebush who is building the 63 #50 Lemans replica, has been posting pics and info on Facebook, it's probably 85% done at this point, painted, all fabrication work done, mainly ready for final assembly, its not equipped with a factory SD transaxle,

Drag Star Le Mans 03-29-2021 01:19 AM

My thought is the #50 car being a road racer is the trans. wouldn't be subjected to the high launch loads of the drags cars. Maybe this is why is lasted 250 miles?