PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=489)
-   -   65 GTO High Efficiency Radiator (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863933)

uttergto 01-11-2023 11:34 PM

65 GTO High Efficiency Radiator

Has anyone purchased one of these radiators from Ames? I purchased one for my one owner original 65 GTO. The first thing I noticed, the ears on the radiator cap were not aligned parallel with the radiator like my original radiator. Also, it had a lot of white residue inside. I also did not see any improvement in cooling. Am I doing something wrong?

dataway 01-12-2023 07:58 AM

As far as the cooling ... could be any one of half a dozen things causing problems instead of the radiator, so hard to tell.

uttergto 01-13-2023 12:03 AM

High Efficiency radiator

I wish someone could offer some suggestions that I haven't tried yet. The heating problem occurs when driving on the freeway at a cruising RPM of about 3,000 at 75 deg air temp for about 20 miles or greater. I have done the following:

1. Installed SS spacer plates in the front cover.
2. Changed three different water pumps with different impeller configurations.
3. Re-gapped the spacer plate to the water pump impeller from .187 to .080-in.
4. Purchased a new fan clutch.
5. Installed a temperature gauge in the radiator outlet hose to monitor cooling across the radiator.
6. Added a fan shroud.
7. Flushed the cooling system with muriatic acid.
8. Flushed the cooling system with plain water and bursts of compressed air.
9. Changed from an anti-freeze to a water-wetter solution.
10. Made an adapter to solid mount the original aluminum 7-blade fan.
11. Checked the thermostat in hot water for proper opening temperature.
12. Tried putting two different size orifices at the radiator inlet, 3/8 and 1/2-in.
13. Checked the intake manifold temperature sending unit for proper output.

dataway 01-13-2023 09:34 AM

Uttergto ... I would suggest posting this in the heating and cooling section, you will get WAY more responses.

Goatracer1 01-13-2023 12:07 PM

Had similar problem. Tried everything you tried. Solution was to reduce RPM. Installed AOD and problem completely disappeared. Never runs hot at highway speed any more. Take it for what it's worth. Good luck.

Hammertime Mike 01-13-2023 12:34 PM

I had a cooling problem that I couldn't figure out. This was a motor that had been rebuilt prior to my ownership. The motor was clean and ran good. It wasn't until a frost plug started leaking that I found the problem. Once I removed the frost plug. I found that the block was full of rusty crud. Whoever rebuilt it, never replaced the frost plugs or cleaned the block.

Ccass 01-13-2023 02:06 PM

What radiator did you purchase from Ames? They carry several brands and models.
Also, what is your water pump pulley to crank pulley ratio. You want to overdrive your WP pulley for better pressure.

grivera 01-13-2023 02:25 PM

Do you have the spring in the lower radiator hose to keep it from collapsing at high RPM?

uttergto 01-15-2023 12:58 AM

Yes I have the spring in the lower hose.

uttergto 01-15-2023 01:01 AM

I believe the radiator is from US Radiator. It has the original pulleys on the harmonic balancer and water pump.

uttergto 01-15-2023 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammertime Mike (Post 6400044)
I had a cooling problem that I couldn't figure out. This was a motor that had been rebuilt prior to my ownership. The motor was clean and ran good. It wasn't until a frost plug started leaking that I found the problem. Once I removed the frost plug. I found that the block was full of rusty crud. Whoever rebuilt it, never replaced the frost plugs or cleaned the block.

The block was completely cleaned with the plugs out.

uttergto 01-15-2023 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatracer1 (Post 6400036)
Had similar problem. Tried everything you tried. Solution was to reduce RPM. Installed AOD and problem completely disappeared. Never runs hot at highway speed any more. Take it for what it's worth. Good luck.

What is AOD?

uttergto 01-15-2023 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6400004)
Uttergto ... I would suggest posting this in the heating and cooling section, you will get WAY more responses.

Found a Heating and Cooling title, but could not open it.

uttergto 01-15-2023 01:08 AM

Another thing I dislike about the radiator is the cap orientation, it is not parallel to the radiator like the original. I am going back to my original radiator, because I see no improvement in cooling.

uttergto 01-15-2023 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6400004)

Found a Heating and Cooling title, but could not open it.

chrisp 01-20-2023 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uttergto (Post 6399961)
I wish someone could offer some suggestions that I haven't tried yet. The heating problem occurs when driving on the freeway at a cruising RPM of about 3,000 at 75 deg air temp for about 20 miles or greater. I have done the following:

1. Installed SS spacer plates in the front cover.
2. Changed three different water pumps with different impeller configurations.
3. Re-gapped the spacer plate to the water pump impeller from .187 to .080-in.
4. Purchased a new fan clutch.
5. Installed a temperature gauge in the radiator outlet hose to monitor cooling across the radiator.
6. Added a fan shroud.
7. Flushed the cooling system with muriatic acid.
8. Flushed the cooling system with plain water and bursts of compressed air.
9. Changed from an anti-freeze to a water-wetter solution.
10. Made an adapter to solid mount the original aluminum 7-blade fan.
11. Checked the thermostat in hot water for proper opening temperature.
12. Tried putting two different size orifices at the radiator inlet, 3/8 and 1/2-in.
13. Checked the intake manifold temperature sending unit for proper output.

Needs a good tune , timing & fuel will correct most hot runs.

dhutton 01-20-2023 10:32 AM

A two row aluminum radiator with one inch or larger tubes will outperform a three or four row radiator by a wide margin. Your radiator is inadequate.

Don

uttergto 01-20-2023 01:20 PM

High Efficiency radiator

The problem with this is this is a one-owner, numbers matching original 1965 GTO. An aluminum radiator with extra fans would look out of place.

dhutton 01-20-2023 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uttergto (Post 6401869)
The problem with this is this is a one-owner, numbers matching original 1965 GTO. An aluminum radiator with extra fans would look out of place.

You could paint it black. Additional fans should not be needed.

Don

uttergto 01-20-2023 11:35 PM

High Efficiency radiator

I have already wasted about $700.00 on a radiator with a cap that is not oriented parallel to the radiator, supposedly for a 1965 GTO. I have questioned Ames Performance about this several times with no answer. Rather frustrating, I guess I didn't know what questions to ask before the purchase, but you would think the cap orientation is so obvious that it would be correct.