PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   National Events (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=524)
-   -   2023 GTOAA NATIONAL MEET - SPRINGFIELD, IL. (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857503)

GTO JUDGE 03-23-2022 04:46 PM

2023 GTOAA NATIONAL MEET - SPRINGFIELD, IL.

1 Attachment(s)
GTOAA's 44th NATIONAL MEET

JUNE 27 - JULY 1, 2023

CROWNE PLAZA

SPRINGFIELD, IL

SAVE THE DATE

We'll headed back to one of the most heavily attended GTOAA Conventions in: Springfield, IL.
Hosted by the Gateway GTOAA Association
Much more information will be headed your way.

bill ryder 03-23-2022 07:38 PM

WONDERFUL 2017 was a great show. Good venue. Lots of cars. Glad it is going back to Springfield.....

"Bill"!

I just do not understand why GTOAA and POCI struggle so much. Like a couple of kids fighting over a toy. Same date in 2023. So you have to pick. Choose me. No, choose me. The co-ventions are WONDERFUL. Someone is going to have to step forward, put their big boy pants on. We are definitely getting older, but I don't know about smarter.

GTO JUDGE 03-24-2022 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill ryder (Post 6329038)
WONDERFUL 2017 was a great show. Good venue. Lots of cars. Glad it is going back to Springfield.....

"Bill"!

I just do not understand why GTOAA and POCI struggle so much. Like a couple of kids fighting over a toy. Same date in 2023. So you have to pick. Choose me. No, choose me. The co-ventions are WONDERFUL. Someone is going to have to step forward, put their big boy pants on. We are definitely getting older, but I don't know about smarter.

Good point Bill. GTOAA traditionally holds our conventions the last week of June up to the 4th of July. POCI the week or so after the 4th of July. Years ago there was a gentleman's agreement between the former AA president and POCI not to step on each other's convention. Since then 2016, 2018, and now 2023 their dates encumbered ours. In 2014 the 50th Anniversary of the GTO, I personally put together the huge GTO event in Carlisle, it was then learned, their convention date was changed to that same date, the 3rd weekend of June. Take it for what it's worth.

I don't know the circumstances on their scheduling nor am I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over this but your point is well taken, we've been hearing the same from others. Our dates do not change, except for 2021 in Wisconsin when our chapter set up the date then decided they couldn't host the convention, we had no choice but to proceed with the date they chose or have no convention, we discussed that date with Chula Vista Resort and that week was the only week they had available and they made it financially lucrative for us to honor that date. If you look at our history of scheduling you'll see we are stable in our dates.

bill ryder 03-24-2022 05:38 PM

I was NOT pointing at the dates coinciding again. More at the reason WHY the two national clubs don't seem to get along at all. Not being in the know, is it either less expensive or possibly MORE beneficial for the two clubs to hold co-ventions? Or is it just harder to locate a venue for the larger show? Or is it just*********. Just curious.

Appreciate the reply!!!

CO-VENTIONS are great...

"Bill"!

Cardo 03-26-2022 08:09 AM

Co-ventions need to become standard operating procedure in my opinion. There's strength in numbers and economies of scale. I would think it would benefit both clubs. It's not like either of the conventions are huge, and with fuel prices and inflation I'm thinking many members will begin to have to choose one or the other.

gtoguys 07-08-2022 10:39 PM

It comes down to money. POCI thinks, because it has more members, that it should recieve more of the cut than GTOAA. Even if the work load is the same. Myself and a few other different club members have tried to host a convention. Officers on both sides won't talk. The last co-vention in Dayton is still being fought over! Money. Greed! I think there were over 1100 cars in Dayton that week. Separately if you add the 2 Nationals together, in 2 different locations, you come up with less cars than that. What needs to be done is members from each POCI and GTOAA, talk to officers on this subject and express your disappointment that both clubs can't get together.

1965gp 07-08-2022 11:04 PM

Agree 1000%. Honestly it’s hard to even justify traveling for a POCI show now. I went to the one in Dallas and there might have been 150 cars. Haven’t been to one since.

The Co-Ventions attract so many people I would think all clubs involved would make more. The Dayton show was just excellent. I would be okay if they each held their own show in the same area. That big show with the cruise like the TA Nationals does was a great event.

We need to remember we are a dying breed- anything we can do to help our brand survive should be appreciated.

GTO JUDGE 07-22-2022 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Host Hotel Room Reservations now open
Online direct link: https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...&icdv=99801505

bill ryder 07-22-2022 05:56 PM

WONDERFUL. Not wishing what is left of my life away, but reserving this weekend!! Looking forward to the meet AGAIN!

"Bill"!

JacintasHot 01-26-2023 08:19 PM

Looking for an enclosed trailer if someone has one available for this event let me know.
THANKS,
Chuck

bill ryder 05-06-2023 05:11 PM

Good afternoon fellow GTOAA members and officials. Just reading the last Legend this afternoon. I was very surprised to read about the associations short falls the past year. Immediately a thought passed thru this old mind, AND probably others who have read the same report. CO VENTION Double the attendance and split the cost. I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that simple word, but it has been done several times and it seems the only ones that don't like the idea are the stewards of the two national clubs. Can't we all just get along.
Just my 2 cents..

"Bill Ryder!"

Dick Boneske 05-09-2023 12:45 AM

100% agree Bill. I've been trying to make this happen for four years. At this point, a CO VENTION is not likely. Our POCI and GTOAA don't mesh well at times.

AROWHED 06-29-2023 04:03 PM

GTOAA had a close call this morning in Springfield, huge thunderstorm moving through and a few tornado reports.

65madgoat 06-29-2023 05:41 PM

Several cars sustained minor damage from the storms...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuFoHs-LbHd/

johnta1 06-30-2023 07:35 AM

It was a 'derecho' straight line winds.
By the time it got to us, it was about 50 MPH winds.

Did they cancel the rest of the event?
Was planning on going today (Fri) but heard they don't have power at the hotel still and news shows lots of trees still down.

:(

steve v 06-30-2023 01:00 PM

I think it has been cancelled.
Spoke with some friends from Raleigh that were there Thursday thru the storm, fortunately his car was indoors for concourse showing. Power was out at the convention center although the hotel had a generator for emergency lighting only. They left this morning as they were told the show is cancelled, tough break for the event for sure.

Old Goat Racer 06-30-2023 03:27 PM

https://www.gtoaa.org/

sdbob 07-01-2023 06:49 PM

I heard from a friend show cars were damaged. They were using 2x4s to hold up power lines to get cars out. Ashame.