PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=424)
-   -   Help Please ….No turn signal indicator….😐 (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858680)

Mook 05-13-2022 09:28 PM

Help Please ….No turn signal indicator….😐

Installed dash, was so excited to see All the interior lights work as did the exterior lights….. except the left turn signal indicator …. The light blue wire from the turn signal is getting power on both aides of the connector, and blinks during operation the 2 light blue wires going into the instrument cluster is getting power, all the bulbs in the cluster work why don’t the left indicator illuminate when the flasher or turn signal is operating? Any assistance is appreciate thx!

Stuart 05-13-2022 09:35 PM

What make, model and year is the car?

Mook 05-13-2022 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 6342125)
What make, model and year is the car?

Sorry… 69 GTO…..

Lemans64 05-13-2022 11:17 PM

Do all the exterior lamps work correctly?? Flash and work as park lamps?

Mook 05-14-2022 04:38 AM

Yes…. Sir…

dataway 05-14-2022 05:30 AM

When, if ever, does the left signal indicator LIGHT ... not flash, but does it ever light up?

Usually if it lights up and stays steady with the turn signal ON .. it's a problem with the exterior bulbs.

If it NEVER lights up it's usually a burnt out bulb, OR if you are using LEDs the bulb is installed 180 degrees out (wrong polarity). Could also be a bad printed circuit, dirty contacts on the bulb carrier etc.

Mook 05-14-2022 08:32 AM

The left turn signal indicator never lights up not for flasher not for blinker although the lights are blinking on the outside . I am thinking its something like the bulb … I pulled each bulb on that side of the cluster, not sure which one is actually for the indicator…they all light up on the workbench……. I even try to switch a few of the bulbs around to see if it was the contact, both indicators worked when I pulled the dash…..

"QUICK-SILVER" 05-14-2022 09:42 AM

Terminal in the harmonica connector may need some tweaking so that it makes better contact with the printed circuit.

Clay

Mook 05-14-2022 09:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Found an old cluster is this the Left turn signal bulb?

Also…. Turn signal barely worked with an original 552 flasher only worked with the type pictured… is that normal?? 🤔

Mook 05-14-2022 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" (Post 6342190)
Terminal in the harmonica connector may need some tweaking so that it makes better contact with the printed circuit.

Clay

Hey Clay…. Funny was about to call you ….lol…. I was hoping that was not it🤦🏾*♂️

Vid 05-20-2022 02:13 PM

Hey Mook I’m following this because I’m about to do the exact same project on the same year LeMans. Thanks [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Serio 05-21-2022 12:04 PM

From 1968 on GM in the Pontiac A body series cars, used a mylar printed circuit with those twist-in plastic bulb sockets.

One thing I have noticed on those type sockets is after 25 or 30 years the brass contacts inside of the socket get a film on them which interferes with bulb contact. Those sockets take either a #168 or a #194 light bulb.

The cure for this issue is to remove all the sockets and clean the contact ends inside using a small file also you need to clean the "tabs" that touch the PC using a piece of very fine sandpaper (600 grit or higher). I then replace all the bulbs as a preventative measure. (You may also need to very carefully re-bend those 2 ends so as to ensure the tabs make good contact with the PC when reinstalled.)

Mook 05-26-2022 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Serio (Post 6343772)
From 1968 on GM in the Pontiac A body series cars, used a mylar printed circuit with those twist-in plastic bulb sockets.

One thing I have noticed on those type sockets is after 25 or 30 years the brass contacts inside of the socket get a film on them which interferes with bulb contact. Those sockets take either a #168 or a #194 light bulb.

The cure for this issue is to remove all the sockets and clean the contact ends inside using a small file also you need to clean the "tabs" that touch the PC using a piece of very fine sandpaper (600 grit or higher). I then replace all the bulbs as a preventative measure. (You may also need to very carefully re-bend those 2 ends so as to ensure the tabs make good contact with the PC when reinstalled.)

Hey Pete.....I will be taking the dash back out to give a once over..... will be sure to clean those contacts......thx

Mook 05-26-2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid (Post 6343559)
Hey Mook I’m following this because I’m about to do the exact same project on the same year LeMans. Thanks [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't hesitate to hit me up if you have any questions..... needless to say I've learned a lot...mostly thanks to the PY Forums.....