PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Welding IA large CID block after broken rod on Net. (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873060)

sdbob 04-08-2024 12:37 PM

Welding IA large CID block after broken rod on Net.

Curious.I've been reading about that large IA block with one main missing due to rod breaking. Thermal welding the new piece in place. For you high end guys is this repair safe with all the $$ spent?

65madgoat 04-08-2024 01:04 PM

Forget that it is safe. It is too costly and not ever worth doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgdeN7Muvhw

Old thread:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...=welding+block

Johnny406 04-10-2024 08:29 AM

It was very fascinating to watch and it makes me wonder if the origional casting molds for that block are still around and can be redeployed. With the cylinder head advancements now available, building a 600+ CI engine is far more practical now than when this block was cast.

Speaking of practicality, unless you're stupid rich and can afford not to be practical, this was nothing more than a "yes, it can be done" process. Now that I know in theory and with enough money, I can have my 557 block "thickened/reinforced" at a cost much much higher than a new aftermarket block...

sdbob 04-10-2024 12:13 PM

I never heard of that big CID IA block. I was interested in the tech. However for cost I was thinking just buy new.

Dragncar 04-10-2024 03:24 PM

They act like that IA1 block is some super rare and desirable piece. Just buy a IA2, done.
The Indian head logo is cool though.

Stan Weiss 04-10-2024 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6497353)
They act like that IA1 block is some super rare and desirable piece. Just buy a IA2, done.
The Indian head logo is cool though.

Troy,
Did I miss understand about that block? Isn't that a tall deck height block they are fixing?

Stan

BILL BOWMAN1 04-10-2024 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Weiss (Post 6497366)
Troy,
Did I miss understand about that block? Isn't that a tall deck height block they are fixing?

Stan

Yes tall deck

PAUL K 04-10-2024 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
IndianAdventuresTTF!

Scott Stoneburg 04-10-2024 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL BOWMAN1 (Post 6497370)
Yes tall deck

Yep, tall deck, not available any more to my knowledge.

ID67goat 04-10-2024 07:29 PM

Do you guys think they were able to save it? Did not see an updated video so was guessing that it maybe didn’t work out…

Dragncar 04-10-2024 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Weiss (Post 6497366)
Troy,

Stan

Yes it is. I bet you could take a IA2 and make a plate and sleeve the whole thing and end up with something better than any welded cast iron. There will always be a heat line, no way around that.
Any cast iron welding is a risk.

Stan Weiss 04-10-2024 10:46 PM

Does anyone know if the tall deck height blocks had a raised cam location?

Stan

BILL BOWMAN1 04-11-2024 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Weiss (Post 6497421)
Does anyone know if the tall deck height blocks had a raised cam location?

Stan

Yes it did

sdbob 04-11-2024 07:10 AM

Dragncar you are saying make a plate similar to a honing plate then install sleeves to the height of the plate? Would head bolts hold everything in place then?

Scott Stoneburg 04-11-2024 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdbob (Post 6497442)
Dragncar you are saying make a plate similar to a honing plate then install sleeves to the height of the plate? Would head bolts hold everything in place then?

I believe I remember seeing that McCarty did something like that at one time.

hojs69 04-11-2024 10:52 AM

Steve Barcak did something like that to a big inch configuration on a 370 (or was it a 389) block I thought.

hojs69 04-11-2024 11:17 AM

Old post from 2014 from Steve.

"My 577" is a '59 389 with a .315" over stock bore and stroked 1.050"! This was done around 20 years back in an effort to have the largest Pontiac ever. The problem with boring out the stock cylinders is that the deck is not strong enough to support it. I learned this from Ken Crocie, he had told me he had tried it years earlier and the decks lost so much strength, it would not work.

The way I made mine work was to use deck plates that raised the deck and added the support needed for integrity. I ordered custom extra long sleeves to accomplish this. Again, this was very expensive and time consuming and before the aftermarket blocks were available.

If you can access a boring bar to use as I did, you can try all sorts of things but, as others said, you are better off seeking a 400 block."

I know he showed pics and all but I cannot find it right now. Hopefully he weighs in. Ahead of his time here.

Stan Weiss 04-11-2024 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL BOWMAN1 (Post 6497436)
Yes it did

Bill,
Thanks. Do you happen to know how much the cam was raised?

Stan

BILL BOWMAN1 04-11-2024 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Weiss (Post 6497478)
Bill,
Thanks. Do you happen to know how much the cam was raised?

Stan

No, I just remember that because I was going to do a tall deck at one time and decided against it.

Stan Weiss 04-11-2024 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hojs69 (Post 6497477)
Old post from 2014 from Steve.

"My 577" is a '59 389 with a .315" over stock bore and stroked 1.050"! This was done around 20 years back in an effort to have the largest Pontiac ever. The problem with boring out the stock cylinders is that the deck is not strong enough to support it. I learned this from Ken Crocie, he had told me he had tried it years earlier and the decks lost so much strength, it would not work.

The way I made mine work was to use deck plates that raised the deck and added the support needed for integrity. I ordered custom extra long sleeves to accomplish this. Again, this was very expensive and time consuming and before the aftermarket blocks were available.

If you can access a boring bar to use as I did, you can try all sorts of things but, as others said, you are better off seeking a 400 block."

I know he showed pics and all but I cannot find it right now. Hopefully he weighs in. Ahead of his time here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Barcak (Post 2753973)
Changing bore spacing makes no practical or economic sense and will not happen as a result. With that said, there should be a need for taller deck heights but, apparantely most builders aren't using the foresight to take advantage of better rod ratios with larger displacements.
I will predict that as more of the new parts are used and larger displacements are sought for more power, demand for a taller deck height block will follow. Most people now with larger engines are seemingly happy in the 530" range. As you go over 550" or so, the taller deck becomes more attractive and even necessary.
I have had a super tall deck 577" Pontiac project for years but, it has been put on the back burner since I decided to go the with small inch route with my AA/Fueler. However, the first one may be together in 2007.

My blown/injected 577s, based on early 389s, have deck heights of over a foot. One will be used in my '65 Tempest altered wheelbase funny car project and another in one of my boats.
Tall decks have advantages, esp with larger displacements.
What is the 'tall' deck height of the engine you are considering?
Stock height is in the 10.2..." area. My 577s" are around 12.200".
Running the taller height in the deck gives much more room for a better ring stack, allows longer rods, etc and is very attractive with longer strokes.
Steve Barcak www.pontiacheaven.org

"Real Pontiacs only...no corporate nonsense!"

WOW 2" increase. :eek:

Stan