PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   74-76 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=440)
-   -   SD-455 coming to shop next month (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853099)

Elarson 03-29-2022 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgarblik (Post 6330460)
Here is a link to the sweet sound of an SD-455 through the original exhaust system.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l2K...87SgNEMbK/view

Nice!! :D

Eric

PAUL K 03-29-2022 05:16 PM

Very nice.

I didn't see a console is it column shift?

mgarblik 03-30-2022 09:11 AM

Yes, it is a column shift auto. I remember when he bought the car in the mid/late 70's from the original owner. The column shift was almost a show stopper. Also remember some conversation of changing it to console, floor shift. In the end, it was left as built. Of course in those days, few had any idea of the eventual value of these cars. Happy the owner has decided to keep the car and get it back on the road for some use and enjoyment. IMO, cars meant to be driven, not sit around slowly decaying and just costing the owner money to store and insure.

3tas4me 03-30-2022 10:00 AM

Looks and sounds great!

RicksGTO 03-30-2022 11:49 AM

thanks for posting about it, such a rare low mile unmolested SD!

mgarblik 06-12-2022 03:50 PM

I am bringing this back up for a possible favor. The owner of this SD is close to being able to enjoy driving it a bit after all these decades. Today I mounted a fresh set of Radial TA's on the original wheels he has just freshly restored. 3 of the 4 wheels are excellent and straight and the tires balanced beautifully. The 4th wheel has a bend in it and I am not 100% happy with it. It did balance OK but has a some lateral runnout and a little radial runnout as well. It looks great and is functional but he would like to replace it. It is a 15X7 rally II wheel. Don't need an exact date code but would like to start with an excellent candidate, no pitting rust, and not bent. It will be restored like the remaining wheels so light sand blasting being required is expected. But not rusted to the point where bodywork, (filler or high build primer would be required) Please let me know what you might have. Thanks.

Held for Ransom 06-12-2022 09:14 PM

There are several HM's on eBay. Find out what the date is on the wheels and I'll look to see if I have a match.

mgarblik 06-13-2022 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Held for Ransom (Post 6349171)
There are several HM's on eBay. Find out what the date is on the wheels and I'll look to see if I have a match.

I will get the codes. But he indicated condition is more important than an exact code match. (he has the 4 OE matching wheels, one is just bent a little) Thank you.

Sirrotica 06-13-2022 12:17 PM

Mike, have it straightened, then he can have all his OEM wheels. There are places that can straighten bent wheels in Dayton, and Columbus.

mgarblik 06-13-2022 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirrotica (Post 6349303)
Mike, have it straightened, then he can have all his OEM wheels. There are places that can straighten bent wheels in Dayton, and Columbus.

Yea, I forgot about that. I have had some aluminum wheels restored by those guys. Wheel Source I think.

mgarblik 06-13-2022 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Held for Ransom (Post 6349171)

Here are the numbers on the wheels. These are all around the valve stem hole.

M54 5 17 HM

Held for Ransom 06-13-2022 07:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
No '74s close.
I have two M53 5 (VS) 16 HM (one not so good) and a M53 6 (VS) 18 HM (tire still mounted).

kingbuzzo 06-14-2022 12:15 PM

I have a set of five in Canada which prolly won't help you much.

I want to hang onto four in case I put back to original but I could let go of the fifth if you want it.

mgarblik 06-14-2022 11:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. I may have a decent candidate wheel that a friend is going to bring by Friday. If it doesn't look good I will still be looking. I will get back.

mgarblik 06-22-2022 05:25 PM

Friend's SD-455 wheel saga is reaching a conclusion. Thanks for the replies and offers of wheels for sale. Turns out Sirrotica's idea of having the OE wheel repaired was the winner. He took the wheel to the Wheel Warehouse, South of Dayton, OH for repair. I measured the bare wheel before he took it and it had .115" lateral runnout and about .065 radial runnout. They said they would probably hurt the paint repairing it but did a very nice job and did not damage the paint on the outside. The inside has a couple small rat bites in the paint. It's nice and straight now. Cost $125.00. Probably about the same cost as buying another wheel, sand blasting and repainting another wheel. Possibly less. Remount in a couple days and put the SD back on the street!! Looking forward to riding shot gun. Last time I rode in this car was in the late 1980's.

Elarson 06-23-2022 12:47 PM

Memories of a long-ago trip for (8) friends to the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals in Indy. The caravan was that '74 SD, a '73 SD, a '70 T/A and a '77 T/A.

Good times,
Eric

kingbuzzo 06-23-2022 03:22 PM

take me there in my dodge caravan... :(