PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=420)
-   -   Better stronger blower motor for factory a/c cars (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776735)

hottrodd 07-08-2015 11:44 PM

Better stronger blower motor for factory a/c cars

As anyone with a factory a/c gto knows ,& will agree , the factory blower motors do not push out a lot of air ( compared to today's cars), the only thing I have been frustrated with on my a/c sys. Was the lack of air it blows out the vents!!!What I have seen on other forums , that most new blower motor upgrades required a lot on modifying to the original air box , which I didn't want to do, I found that the 1993-02 Dodge Ram truck blower motors with its squirrel cage, will fit without any modifications to the airbox, besides drilling 3 new mounting holes ( or as I'm doing, make a adapter ring that will bolt to the original air box holes & have 3 studs welded to ring to mount the blower motor, I will try to finish the adapter tomorrow & install it, & give a complete update! ( but running the original blower & then the dodge blower in the loose air box, the dodge blower blew 40-50% more Air Force, which Will inturn help cool the cars down fast , by recirculating the air quicker!!!
When done, I'll drive it, & let u guys know how much of a :usflag::usflag:improvement , or not... I get!!

rexs73gto 07-09-2015 12:20 AM

I'd really like to know if it works , because in my 73 GTO with no A/C the fan blows so slow compared to any of my newer cars. When I put my 73 on high it runs about as fast as the slow speed on most of my newer car. It almost makes me think it's not running compared to the newer.

Pepi 07-09-2015 06:20 AM

Do you think it will pull more current to run the faster blower? If it would, I would worry about the old wiring handling that.

Bruce Meyer 08-01-2015 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check your evaporator. I pulled this one out of a 69 Lemans. It was almost completely plugged up. No fan could overcome this.

HWYSTR455 08-11-2015 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexs73gto (Post 5429897)
I'd really like to know if it works , because in my 73 GTO with no A/C the fan blows so slow compared to any of my newer cars. When I put my 73 on high it runs about as fast as the slow speed on most of my newer car. It almost makes me think it's not running compared to the newer.

One thing you may want to check is the high blower resistor, they do slowly go bad and create more resistance. They're cheap, just replace it, it's most likely in the cowl. If you aren't sure about replacing it, you can jumper past it and see if the blower motor picks up speed.

When the evap core is plugged, or even the heater core, the blower motor still runs at normal speed, there's just no flow. If you hear the motor running, and it seems like it's at speed, the next thing to check is for blockage. Be prepared to replace all the box seals at that time.

On some cars, there's an inline fuse for blower high setting. If that's blown, obviously, it won't blow on high. It may still get trickle through the resistor though, and still run at a lower setting.

Duct work in older cars aren't very streamlined, and don't flow as well as newer cars. Something to consider.

Blower motors do wear out, and the windings become less efficient. Sometimes even though it turns it should still be replaced.

Now, with all the basics said and done, older blower motors don't turn as high an RPM as newer ones. They can be swapped out with newer styles and squirrel cages, but it's trial an error finding one that fits.

I would love to see picks and hear your feedback on the truck motor, so I will shut up now!

Subscribed!

scorpio ps 08-12-2015 12:49 AM

My friend would use blowers out of Japanese cars as they moved a lot of air.

HWYSTR455 08-12-2015 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio ps (Post 5447037)
My friend would use blowers out of Japanese cars as they moved a lot of air.

Would you happen to know which ones? Part number(s) or application(s)? Maybe a pic installed would help...

Willshire 08-12-2015 04:05 PM

What about a newer gm model? my 08 sierra will blow skirts up! lol

70455HOVert 05-15-2016 09:17 PM

I'm interested in this. I pulled up a picture of the Dodge motor, it has two wires, where the original just has a spade. Would you just ground the other? How did you wire it up?

rexs73gto 05-15-2016 11:21 PM

The easist way to check the blower motors to see if they will blow harder then the one you have is to just hook them up to a battery charger & compare.

70455HOVert 05-20-2016 12:06 PM

Just as a follow up, I did some looking at the parts store, and a '95 Astro fan has the same exact electrical plug as a '70. Motor looks to be somewhat smaller, but the cage is larger. Mounting flange is also slightly different, but can be easily adapted I think. More to follow.

HWYSTR455 05-20-2016 04:41 PM

I'm paying attention, let us know how you make out....

70455HOVert 05-20-2016 09:11 PM

So a few things about this new motor...

1. Same mounting bolt pattern
2. Same single spade hook up

3. cage is 4" tall...stock is 3". Space inside the box is 3" therefore, if you made a 1" spacer it would fit. New motor is shorter overall than the old motor, so it should fit behind the inner fender no problem.

4. They each have 30 blades on the cage, however, the blades on the new cage are are 1/2" long, and more curved, whereas on the old cage they're only 3/8" long.

Sooo...I'm deducing that the new cage is much more efficient at moving air. now I just need to find something 1" think to make an adapter ring from.

Held for Ransom 05-20-2016 09:26 PM

http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....d.php?t=780812

MUSLCAH 05-20-2016 09:31 PM

Iam watching this thread....

70455HOVert 05-20-2016 10:16 PM

Ok...so after thinking about how I was going to make a 1" spacer, and the pain involved with that, I started looking at pictures on rock auto. Turns out there's a PM136 motor that is for the rear A/C on a '95 Astro...

It's the same motor as the PM129, but this time it has a 3" cage of the better design...sooo wait for it...it's a direct bolt in.

I'm going to hook it to a battery charger now and see how hard it blows.

Ransom, I read that other thread, but that one requires a 1/2" spacer due to the depth of the cage...I doubt much additional air is being pushed in that tight confine.

Hopefully the better fan design will push more air.

70455HOVert 05-20-2016 10:59 PM

So I hooked it up...wow. Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

THIS THING IS AWESOME! Some serious air being moved now, and I can't even get it to blow on high speed, just the first three speeds.

What do I have to do to get the high speed relay to kick on?

70455HOVert 05-20-2016 11:24 PM

So somehow my new M&H A/C feed harness had a 2A fuse in it instead of the 30A. I now have a hurricane in my car.

It's really nice when things go right for a change.

So, to recap:

VDO/Murray PM136 blower motor (rear A/C blower for a '95 Astro)

Direct bolt in, improved cage, and it moves some serious air. Probably double what the stock one did.

HWYSTR455 05-21-2016 09:44 AM

Ordered one, will toss it in the 442 and post my results. Thank you!

Less than $30 shipped from Rock Auto...Nice...

MUSLCAH 05-21-2016 06:25 PM

Will that set up fit in my 67 GTO ?