PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Late Model Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=533)
-   -   Solstice (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785294)

lemans67 01-20-2016 12:43 PM

Solstice

Any major issues with these cars? Started looking online, was going to go drive a few and see if it would be a decent daily driver for a while. Prices seem reasonable for decent milage cars. Thanks

camerjeff 01-21-2016 07:58 AM

They are not bad cars, but they have Zero Trunk Space, a 2nd Gen F-body with a full size spare is cavernous by comparision. I was considering one a couple years ago for a fun D/D but It could not haul my Work Tools and a passenger so I ended up going a different way.
But I haven't heard of any issue that is not common to any GM 4 cylinders

Jim Doran 01-21-2016 08:25 AM

DD can have alot of different roles. how far ? style of traffic ? Need storage space ? Kid duties ?

I am suggesting these as I'm going through the process myself and while my heart goes in one direction, my practical side ends up based in reality.

lemans67 01-22-2016 01:36 AM

I have an old truck for Home Depot duty. No small kids to haul around. Work is 20 min in no traffic. Only need room for a couple bags of groceries and maybe a small back pack at times. So maybe this could work.

Jim Doran 01-22-2016 12:23 PM

Go for it !

lemans67 01-25-2016 12:11 AM

Any issues with the turbo version? Drove 2006 version today. Liked it. Been in an accident. So I passed. Maybe hold out for a better one.

3tas4me 02-04-2018 07:37 PM

Did you get a Solstice? We bought our first one last spring, a 2007 N/A automatic. I love driving it and the performance isn't bad for a 4 cylinder. Definitely something I want to keep in the collection.

critter 02-04-2018 10:54 PM

Daily drive a 2007 GXP. You want the turbo, 2007 and up. You can leave it stock and put a computer tune on it to get over 300 hp in a very small package. Water pumps fail and are a PITA to replace (expensive because of it). Steering and gear box on manuals are the biggest complaints for those looking for a true sports car driving experience. I might sell this one if you're interested.

lemans67 02-05-2018 12:02 AM

I did not. Still like the cars, just ended up with a hardtop jeep Wrangler. Another vehicle with it's own special issues. It pulls a small trailer and works for now. My LeMans is a convertible and I own a couple motorcycles. So the fair weather drives are taken care of. Maybe in the future. For the money it seems like a good buy and they look great.

camerjeff 02-13-2018 10:09 PM

Well I ended up Buying a 2006 Mallet LS2 Conversion last year, fantastic car to drive. The 400 lbs of torque did take out the syncro's on the stock 5-speed. So I am in the middle of replacing it with a new Tremec 6060 six speed. So far could not be happier with it.