PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   74-76 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=440)
-   -   1974 front chin spoiler mounting diagram (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853013)

3tas4me 09-03-2021 03:03 PM

1974 front chin spoiler mounting diagram

I am just about finished with my 1974 T/A and have reached the point of mounting the front chin spoiler. I have looked through my assembly manual but cannot find a diagram. My car mounts the valance panel with the clips on the bottom of the radiator support. The spoiler looks like it is supposed to bolt to the radiator support close to each end. If that is the case, then those two clips are eliminated. Does someone have a diagram of how the spoiler is mounted or pics of their own car? Thanks.

Airpowr 09-03-2021 05:27 PM

I looked in the 75 assembly manual and it doesn’t show it either. IRC on mine 5 hex head screws attach it to the valance and rad support and the outer 2 screws attach it to the inside of the front fairings.

3tas4me 09-03-2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airpowr (Post 6277438)
I looked in the 75 assembly manual and it doesn’t show it either. IRC on mine 5 hex head screws attach it to the valance and rad support and the outer 2 screws attach it to the inside of the front fairings.

Is your valance attached to the radiator support with the clips or bolts?

Airpowr 09-03-2021 06:58 PM

I know it’s all he head screws, car is in restoration shop or I’d get pics. If my memory is correct I believe the center 3 screw into U-nuts on the valance, the next outer set screws into the rad support and the outer holes have U-nuts on them and they sit inside the fairing. The clips on the support I believe are for the valance to hold it up to the support.

Airpowr 09-03-2021 07:06 PM

Sorry, misread you post. My valance uses all hex head screws and and coarse thread screws with washers where it attaches to the bumper. Don’t forget the v shaped spacer. I’ve never used the clips on the valance. The 74/75 valances should be the same except 75 they took the turn signals out and put in the blank off plates.

3tas4me 09-05-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airpowr (Post 6277465)
Sorry, misread you post. My valance uses all hex head screws and and coarse thread screws with washers where it attaches to the bumper. Don’t forget the v shaped spacer. I’ve never used the clips on the valance. The 74/75 valances should be the same except 75 they took the turn signals out and put in the blank off plates.

Thanks for your reply. My valance was clipped in. Unfortunately, I didn't take the car apart so I didn't get to see how it was put together.

Still looking for a response from someone whose valance is held in with the clips.

Airpowr 09-05-2021 07:30 PM

Do you have a fiberglass valance or a stock plastic one? I’ve had 3 75 TA’s and they have all been installed using the screws. I even had to replace the rad support with a repo and it had holes for where the u clips went on.

3tas4me 09-05-2021 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airpowr (Post 6277859)
Do you have a fiberglass valance or a stock plastic one? I’ve had 3 75 TA’s and they have all been installed using the screws. I even had to replace the rad support with a repo and it had holes for where the u clips went on.

Mine is the original plastic valance.

Airpowr 09-05-2021 10:08 PM

Search this in the search function “1974 front lower valance help.” This thread may help you out.

3tas4me 09-05-2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airpowr (Post 6277891)
Search this in the search function “1974 front lower valance help.” This thread may help you out.

Can you post the link? I searched and only came up with this thread!

Airpowr 09-05-2021 10:25 PM

Hope this works. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...84#post4715284

3tas4me 09-05-2021 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airpowr (Post 6277895)

I have the assembly manual and I have installed the valance with the clips as shown in that thread. The question still remains on the chin spoiler. If I bolt the spoiler to the radiator support on the two ends, where does the other two clips go? I had five clips originally and replacing two of them with bolts for the spoiler will leave two with no place to be installed?

das maler 09-06-2021 08:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My 75’s is attached with the clip on the support. Not to say that is correct, car has been apart and painted several times in its life.

Airpowr 09-06-2021 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing but use different names. When you say clip are talking about the nut that clips on? That's what I call U-nut. I've attached a pic of the underside of a valance. Back 5 holes (red)are mounted to the core support and the other 5 (black) is for chin spoiler. The only thing that I'm not 100% sure of if the clip nut for the outer holes clips to the support or the the outer hole on spoiler.

3tas4me 09-06-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airpowr (Post 6277943)
Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing but use different names. When you say clip are talking about the nut that clips on? That's what I call U-nut. I've attached a pic of the underside of a valance. Back 5 holes (red)are mounted to the core support and the other 5 (black) is for chin spoiler. The only thing that I'm not 100% sure of if the clip nut for the outer holes clips to the support or the the outer hole on spoiler.

No, I am not talking about U-nuts. Pontiac came out with a clip that the back of the valance panel slides into. They were having problems with the valance panels cracking from being bolted to the radiator support. Their fix was to use clips, so the back side of the valance is not bolted to the bottom of the radiator support, it just slides into the clips which also slide onto the bottom of the radiator support in the same spot where the holes are for the U-nuts. I think that thread you posted the link to talks about the clips. Yahooskidoo made some for me as they are long discontinued from GM and nobody seems to have any. I will get a pic.

3tas4me 09-06-2021 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Repro clip.

Held for Ransom 10-16-2021 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a doc.

johnta1 10-16-2021 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And BTW, this is how it was done prior to that bulletin.
(no removal of front section of spoiler)

:)

yahooskidoo 10-17-2021 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3tas4me (Post 6278046)
Repro clip.

Nice clip!