PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   LS Talk (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=571)
-   -   LQ4 Build (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858946)

Gator67 05-26-2022 08:21 PM

LQ4 Build

I have an LQ4 at the machine shop for a 408 build. I had planned to run a 58 tooth reluctor wheel, which I didn't think would be an issue because I'll be using an aftermarket engine management, but now I'm wondering what else I'll need to make this work in a Gen III block? The LS world is new to me so any input would be helpful.

Scarebird 05-26-2022 09:59 PM

ls1tech.com

Gator67 05-28-2022 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarebird (Post 6345041)
ls1tech.com

Spent time on there searching but didn’t find the exact information I was looking for…or are you suggesting I post my questions there rather than here?

Scarebird 05-28-2022 11:31 PM

Yes, far deeper knowledge pool - here most are simply Stratostreak fans.

Marv 07-25-2022 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gator67 (Post 6345027)
I have an LQ4 at the machine shop for a 408 build. I had planned to run a 58 tooth reluctor wheel, which I didn't think would be an issue because I'll be using an aftermarket engine management, but now I'm wondering what else I'll need to make this work in a Gen III block? The LS world is new to me so any input would be helpful.

Run a Gen4 timing cover with the cam position sensor, run LS3-style knock sensors on the side of the block (you only have provision for 1 on 1 side, not both).

Leave the Gen 3 knock sensors and cam sensors in their stock position to plug holes.

Gator67 07-27-2022 09:45 PM

Thanks Marv. Next problem—what’s the best option for shaker? It’s going in a 79 TA…doesn’t need to be functional but I’d rather not attach it to the hood.

krisr 07-29-2022 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gator67 (Post 6360171)
Thanks Marv. Next problem—what’s the best option for shaker? It’s going in a 79 TA…doesn’t need to be functional but I’d rather not attach it to the hood.

If you’re using the factory plastic intake and fuel rails you could make brackets off the rail mount bolt holes and set the shaker scoop up that way so it’s there for looks or run an Injected 4bbl intake with an accufab throttle body. If the engine mounts put the motor in the right spot too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marv 07-30-2022 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisr (Post 6360630)
If you’re using the factory plastic intake and fuel rails you could make brackets off the rail mount bolt holes and set the shaker scoop up that way so it’s there for looks or run an Injected 4bbl intake with an accufab throttle body. If the engine mounts put the motor in the right spot too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are also plenty of adapters to run stock 3 bolt and 4 bolt LS throttle bodies vertically on a single plane manifold - you really do need a fair bit of cam to make those 4bbl style manifolds work, however

Scarebird 07-30-2022 05:15 PM

Post an email and I will send the drawings for our old shaker air pan to LS1.

Formula8 08-22-2022 10:26 PM

I am trying to educate myself with this LS stuff. Why are we trying to convert to the Gen IV stuff? Do you already have Gen IV engine management or something?

Gator67 08-23-2022 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarebird (Post 6360780)
Post an email and I will send the drawings for our old shaker air pan to LS1.

Dang, missed your post...Appreciate the help!

jefflepine@yahoo.com

Gator67 08-23-2022 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formula8 (Post 6366602)
I am trying to educate myself with this LS stuff. Why are we trying to convert to the Gen IV stuff? Do you already have Gen IV engine management or something?

My machinist/engine builder and a tuner described a number of advantages to the 58 tooth wheel. Whether these advantages materialize in performance-related benefits is not completely clear to me, however, since I'm starting from scratch with this engine (including engine management), I figured I may as go with gen IV stuff. Doing so complicates things a bit for sure, but the parts I'll need to purchase won't cost that much more.

Scarebird 08-23-2022 01:03 PM

sent.

Marv 08-23-2022 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formula8 (Post 6366602)

I found it easier to get sensors and parts for Gen IV over Gen III, and tuners I know reckon the 58-tooth reluctor wheel on a Gen IV crank gets better resolution when it comes to tuning properly spicy combos.

Gator67 11-17-2022 01:32 PM

The 408 long block is done. Ended up going with a 4.0" stroke Scat forged rotating assembly with 58 tooth reluctor wheel and a 230 240 114 LSA cam (.625 gross lift)...valve job and resurfaced the 317 heads. The engine will be going in my son's 79 TA so installed a Holley 302-3 oil pan.

Son has no interest in making the engine look old school, so that simplifies things.

As for next steps, wondering if an OEM LS6 intake and cable operated throttle body would work well with this combination in the TA.

Planning to use Terminator X. Car will have TKX, so no need for X Max unless someone convinces me to go with DBW throttle body.

Not sure if the Drive Junky accessory drive will work...car has Ridetech suspension and True Turn.

Half-Inch Stud 11-24-2022 07:13 PM

Is there “Half-an LS” 4 CYL ?