PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interior TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   Will soon be installing floor insulation or sound deadener. Advise Please (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850193)

jimib 04-30-2021 04:00 PM

Will soon be installing floor insulation or sound deadener. Advise Please

3 Attachment(s)
As I make progress on my ground-up resto-mod and my Tremec 5 speed is installed, my next project is installing floor insulation, or some will call it sound deadener. The latter term may be a better term since I have dual exhaust, headers, 3-inch Pypes exhaust front to back, crossover, and Violator mufflers. The seats have been removed at this time.

Ames has two kits available, Dynamat and Flatline Barriers. I've never installed a sound deadener before. These kits appear to be cut and countered and if they are, would probably make an easy install.

Any suggestions on these products or other products for this upcoming project?

gtospieg 04-30-2021 05:15 PM

I've used Dynamat in the past and I'm not too sure it's really a sound deadener and it's heavy. This time around I'm going to try the spray on Boom Mat...way less expensive and not real heavy. Depending on your budget you could try Lizard Skin. It's a 2 part process and is supposed to work well...but not inexpensive.

Stuart 04-30-2021 05:28 PM

When you see them installing Dynamat on the car shows on TV, they cover every square inch of the interior which is kind of a waste of material and money. It's designed so that you only need to cover a certain percentage (I think around 30%), the idea is it dampens the resonance of the sheet metal so full coverage is overkill.

jimib 04-30-2021 08:25 PM

gtospieg: Never heard of Boom Mat buts interesting, I'll check it out.
Stuart: Good to know I don't need to cover every inch of floor pan, thank you.

vertigto 04-30-2021 08:38 PM

Fat Mat is a good value, but you'll need to cut it to size.

tjs72lemans 05-02-2021 08:14 PM

I've used FatMat in three cars now and like it.

jimib 05-03-2021 08:17 AM

I certainly have plenty of buying options (thank you ALL); Dynamat, Flatline, Boom Mat, FatMat. I will most likely buy through Amazon, free and fast shipping.

Does anyone know how much square footage I will need for the interior of my 67 GTO?

gtospieg 05-03-2021 02:22 PM

I think you should consider the interior about 6x6 so about 36 square feet

ZnbOlds455 05-03-2021 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used Kilmat in my '65. It was very easy to apply. I've also added Dynaliner over that for additional heat insulation since I'm air conditioning the car. I needed about 60 sqft for it. I bought 1 50 sqft box and another 25 that is still about 1/2 full.

ZnbOlds455 05-03-2021 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo with the Dynaliner installed.