PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Real ID (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864468)

pont3 02-03-2023 09:51 PM

Real ID

What the hell does this mean? Yesterday I went to renew my driver's license and none of the documents I had met the requirements of a REAL id. I had my SC issued mini birth certificate that was deemed unacceptable, I had my retired military id that was deemed unacceptable, I had multiple utility bills that have been in force since I bought my house back in 1997, I had multiple bills from utilities companies from several years back. I served twenty-one years in the US Army and, yet, I cannot get a "real ID" on my driver's license.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Tom Vaught 02-03-2023 09:58 PM

In Michigan, I had no issues with renewing my Driver's License with my "new home" address in 5 minutes in a town named Romeo, Michigan.

I have spoken with others from Missouri and they also have had Driver's License difficulties.

Sorry to hear this but I have not lived in Missouri for 50 years.

Tom V.

b-man 02-03-2023 10:01 PM

My wife and I both have a Real ID, we just gathered up whatever documents listed on our DMV website and it was pretty simple.

This was back in 2019, at the time one of us needed to renew our license and we decided to both apply for the Real ID mostly because of air travel and entry into military bases.

mgarblik 02-03-2023 10:18 PM

Ohio changed their system entirely a few years ago. It is much more complicated now. If you have a US passport that is not expired, that helps allot. Otherwise, you better have a bunch of specific required stuff with you at the BMV. An original birth certificate, no copies. Original social security card, utility bill not more than 30 days old, and other stuff. I showed up with a file full of stuff and was sent home because my utility bill was 40-45 days old instead of the required 30. It was a bit of a hassle. On the plus side you can now get an 8 year license in Ohio if your willing to pay double. Passport eliminates most of the documents. Also, they do not give you a real license on the spot like they used to. You get a temporary license paper receipt. The real one comes USPS in about 10 days which opens up another can of worms with actually receiving your mail.

pont3 02-03-2023 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-man (Post 6405612)
My wife and I both have a Real ID, we just gathered up whatever documents listed on our DMV website and it was pretty simple.

This was back in 2019, at the time one of us needed to renew our license and we decided to both apply for the Real ID mostly because of air travel and entry into military bases.

Well, so did I! They rejected my birth certificate because it was miniaturized version the size of a credit card, the same that I was issued in 1975 that has allowed me to make every transaction since that time, including joining the Army. It has an obvious seal but because it's not a full blown life-like size, it isn't acceptable. I gave them everything from my birth certificate to my HS diploma to my college transcripts. I was told that a passport would suffice. I even showed them my dd-214, my retired military ID card that I just had updated with fingerprints.

To be be sure, I don't plan to do any future air travel, much less travel outside this country, but considering the ease at which our government is allowing illegals to enter our country, why are they making things more difficult for people like me?

OG68 02-03-2023 10:57 PM

My passport and property tax bill worked for me in California.
California now requires you submit all the documents online and once approved, you make an appointment at the DMV. Sort of an outgrowth from the Covid era.

But, you already have a Military ID and its just as good as the Real ID Drivers license. Both are Federally approved Identification cards for flying.

b-man 02-03-2023 10:58 PM

I took my full size official birth certificate and my wife took her green card along with her passport. Our son was in the military and we wanted to be able to see him which would include air travel.

77 TRASHCAN 02-03-2023 11:28 PM

Make sure that any of the "needed" documents have your full and correctly spelled name!!!

My name is Jeffrey, having Jeff on anything won't work...

Stuart 02-03-2023 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-man (Post 6405612)

That was my experience as well. I did happen to have my original birth certificate and social security card on hand so I didn't need to get new authorized copies.

sdbob 02-04-2023 12:22 AM

I got my new license and real license (same card) in about 15 min,yes, at new Penndot office I was amazed,i couldnt make a joke out of experience. I had advice from local reps office get a new birth certificate.,Glad I did.

dataway 02-04-2023 04:24 AM

Just get a passport ... it's good for everything, domestic travel and international travel.

The Champ 02-04-2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pont3 (Post 6405606)
What the hell does this mean? Yesterday I went to renew my driver's license and none of the documents I had met the requirements of a REAL id. I had my SC issued mini birth certificate that was deemed unacceptable, I had my retired military id that was deemed unacceptable, I had multiple utility bills that have been in force since I bought my house back in 1997, I had multiple bills from utilities companies from several years back. I served twenty-one years in the US Army and, yet, I cannot get a "real ID" on my driver's license.

Has anybody else experienced this?

You can easily get a "REAL ID" in MO if you bring the proper documents.

https://dor.mo.gov/driver-license/is...uments/RID.pdf

Per the link, a birth certificate needs to be a certified copy, not a "mini birth certificate".

There are 12 other valid forms of ID in MO, but a military ID is not one of them.

Your utility bills were proof of residency, and are valid for proving that you LIVE in MO, but you need to provide one of the 13 listed forms of identification to prove your identity.

Getting a REAL ID requirements in MN were the same and it was a real simple process.

Passport requirements are basically the same as getting a REAL ID.

72projectbird 02-04-2023 11:55 AM

When I renewed my license here in MA a few years ago, they said I could choose between a "Real ID" or the current standard one. What I found amusing is I couldn't use my current license as proof of identity. I also couldn't use my LTC as a form of identity. But, they'd renew my license as older version, despite apparently not being proof enough of identity.

What a clown world we live in.

dataway 02-04-2023 01:07 PM

We were just looking into flights to Europe for late April .... checked our passports .... expired in Jan .... Dohhh!

Going to expedite renewal.

carbking 02-04-2023 01:13 PM

Missouri fought it for years as the information goes into a Federal database, but finally gave in. I seem to remember a threat of loss of Federal funds for something.

I believe it is a Federal requirement both to fly commercial and / or enter a military base.

I cannot fly, and have no need to enter a military base, we don't have them.

Jon

Tom Vaught 02-04-2023 01:16 PM

If you want to travel as young people, probably a good idea to get the latest stuff.

I traveled for years for the company I worked for and see no reason to want to go to Alaska, S.E. Asia, Central America, or South America. But many people do "want to go on a trip" in their later years.

Europe does nothing for me either.

To each his own.

Tom V.

tigergto 02-04-2023 01:18 PM

Here in NY they call it an Enhanced Drivers License. You can use it for air travel and also entrance into Canada. If IRC when I got mine several years back, they had to submit the information to homeland security for approval.

Edit…I should specify, domestic air travel.

OG68 02-04-2023 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6405733)
We were just looking into flights to Europe for late April .... checked our passports .... expired in Jan .... Dohhh!

Going to expedite renewal.

Good idea. State Department is warning people that normal processing is now taking over 3 months. We obtained a passport for my father n law using expedited
processing. Received it within three weeks.

The Champ 02-04-2023 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbking (Post 6405734)
I cannot fly, and have no need to enter a military base, we don't have them.

Jon

Jon

I took basic training at Ft Leonard Wood, MO back in 1972. It's still open.

Not saying you have a need to go to a military base, but you're only 62 miles away.

dataway 02-04-2023 03:07 PM

Excellent ... good to know. We just got our accounts at the Gov.Travel site, took our photos, should have the process going by Monday.
Jones'in for some good Italian food, been three Covid years we've missed.