PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Wilwood vs Hydroboost (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862898)

punkin 11-17-2022 12:40 AM

Wilwood vs Hydroboost

Hello all,

I sent a message out to a hydroboost supplier some time ago and shared with them that I had Wilwood calipers on the car. I was told this combination could work but "I will ask that you be mindful while stopping and stopped at a red light to not keep pushing down on the pedal because the booster will still be assisting in pressures and the Wilwood calipers are not cast and will expand and could bend or brake."

Anyone else heard this or have had issues? I did reach out to Wilwood but no response yet.

Lemans64 11-17-2022 02:12 AM

I run a Hydroboost system, but not with Wilwood. Can't see their calipers bending or breaking due to hydro boost pressure. Seems kinda weird.
Not like you would need added pressure while already stopped, so pressure would be minimal when stopped. Not sure who's hydro boost system your looking at
But I bought mine thru Hydratech, great to deal with. https://www.hydratechbraking.com
Im sure they would be able to help you on that question.

65madgoat 11-17-2022 02:43 AM

I had a hyroboost with Wilwood 6 piston brakes - no issues.

BUT -- I did not like it and went to manual brakes. Plus less junk under the hood to deal with and route etc. Many guys have issues with their power steering booster and reservoir quite often with hydroboost.

With brakes like Wilwood you can go bigger in rotors / calipers, getter better bite pads etc and not even know you don't have power assisted brakes.

I would never go back to hydroboost. Love my manual set up around town and on the track.

punkin 11-17-2022 10:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't want to post the company name, just don't think that would the right thing to do but it is a big name in the brake products distribution industry. Currently waiting to hear back from Wilwood.

punkin 11-18-2022 09:43 PM

I didn't want to be spreading misinformation and I did get a reply from Wilwood. It seems the comment made to me by the Hydroboost distributor is not entirely accurate. This from Wilwood:

Thank you for the inquiry with Wilwood Disc Brakes.

The calipers are forged not cast and we’ve had plenty of customers use hydroboost systems with our brakes and be just fine.

ZeGermanHam 11-19-2022 01:07 PM

The comment by the hydroboost distributor also just doesn't make logical sense. If their concern was pedal pressure being too great and possibly breaking/deforming the caliper, the biggest risk of that happening would be under heavy braking, not while you are stopped at a light. I don't think there's any merit to their claim, and would follow Wilwood's guidance.

punkin 11-20-2022 08:35 PM

I too am surprised by the comment. This comes from a large name distributor of braking systems. I'm not expert but I too would have thought that the pressure would be greatest under hard or panic braking.

389 11-23-2022 07:52 PM

Yep 100% correct. I can make a brake hyd line or a wheel cyl. burst if I really stand on the brake pedal in my 2001 Chevrolet 3500 work truck.

george kujanski 11-24-2022 11:06 AM

Comment was made by a person who failed high school physics.

George

76TA462 11-24-2022 06:34 PM

Five summers now with a hydroboost (recommended by Wilwood) and conversion to Wilwood brakes (6 piston front, 4 piston rear). All good and very happy with improvement.

chuckies76ta 11-23-2023 12:32 PM

Thanks to Punkin for the thread and those who have posted.
I just want to add info to this thread to verify Wildwood brakes and calipers. I just upgraded my rear drums to Wilwood forged calipers and their 11" rotor. I'm in the process of doing the front 11" rotor and calipers. We run Hydro-boost systems on both cars. Took the car out couple of weeks ago and was able to lock up all 4 wheels when stopping. Have the Wilwood D52 calipers on front and Wildwood calipers at the back. No issues with any of calipers. This is from Wilwood website.

Forged billet aluminum bodies, stainless steel pistons, and competition style high-temperature seals put an end to the rust, bore pitting, and seal failures that plague the OE caliper design. D52 calipers provide low-maintenance performance and a huge weight savings with high temperature reliability for the street and track.

Theses are the new rears. Forged Dynapro Low-Profile Pro-Series rear disc brake kits
My new fronts. Forged Dynalite Pro Series Front Brake Kit

I had my pressure gauge on the fronts to see what kinda pressure was on the calipers in the garage with engine running and was around 500-600 psi. I will be doing more pressure testing come this summer when system is all complete. FYI.

vertigto 11-24-2023 12:37 PM

It would be good to know the manufacturer/supplier that provided that comment/information. Others may want to avoid or follow up themselves.

Scarebird 11-24-2023 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertigto (Post 6468691)
It would be good to know the manufacturer/supplier that provided that comment/information...

It really doesn't matter if it a company larger than 20 employees - once you get to a certain size technical expertise in customer service is diluted as those who answer phones/emails do not have the depth of experience for more arcane questions.

chuckies76ta 11-28-2023 08:29 AM

Thought I would post this link for anyone having issues with there Hydro-boost system. Really good info. https://www.pro-touring.com/archive/...p/t-86332.html
Never fill the Master cylinder too full, as the brake fluid has too return after applying the brakes. There is that, plus the heat expansion from the fluid.
(Heat expansion of the brake fluid) Never cross my mind.. There is always so many little things that one has to be aware of.