PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Another home built engine test stand (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850370)

Scott Stoneburg 05-07-2021 07:28 PM

Another home built engine test stand

2 Attachment(s)
The shop I plan on dyno'ing my 535 at had a couple week wait time. So I decided to take an old jet ski trailer and make a test run stand, It was supposed to be easier than putting the motor back in the car just to start it, then take back out to put on a dyno. Honestly I dont think it was any easier..lol..but I got it done and am glad I fired it before taking it to a dyno. Had a couple mechanical issues i will have to resolve before it hits the dyno.

ta man 05-07-2021 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg (Post 6248422)
The shop I plan on dyno'ing my 535 at had a couple week wait time. So I decided to take an old jet ski trailer and make a test run stand, It was supposed to be easier than putting the motor back in the car just to start it, then take back out to put on a dyno. Honestly I dont think it was any easier..lol..but I got it done and am glad I fired it before taking it to a dyno. Had a couple mechanical issues i will have to resolve before it hits the dyno.

Looks good. Im thinking about using a front subframe off one of my firebird parts cars and adding a hitch to the rear.

Scott Stoneburg 05-07-2021 08:46 PM

The trailer did need some strengthening where the frame meets the tongue. It was flimsy.

PAUL K 05-07-2021 09:24 PM

Excellent, looks great!

ponjohn 05-08-2021 09:47 AM

Cool idea.

When is the dyno?

grandam1979 05-08-2021 10:46 AM

That’s sweet you can rent it out and deliver it.

Scott Stoneburg 05-08-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponjohn (Post 6248505)
Cool idea.

When is the dyno?

Dyno will be a few weeks out now. I found some aluminum shavings under the valve cover. I will tear it apart to check everything.

Mr Anonymous 05-10-2021 07:55 AM

I think that is pretty nifty! Good idea to do it on something with wheels. One thing I've learned, make sure everything in the shop that could ever possibly need to move has wheels on it.

When you see all the ways people run engines before they install them - hanging from chains, on three point engine stands, etc..... makes you wonder sometimes.

Scott Stoneburg 05-16-2021 01:04 PM

Pulled the motor apart today, got it down to just the crank left in the block. Rod bearings look great, looks like the pushrods were rubbing the block and that caused the rocker to come off the push rod. The block was already clearanced for the CV1 head pushrod angle so i assumed it was ok. It must have been clearanced for 5/16" PR. I have 3/8" anyway. Pulling it the rest of the way down and fixing that issue. Then put it back together.

mysticmissle 05-16-2021 05:53 PM

are they 1.8 rockers? you want them to just touch the block obviously, too much clearance lets it flex, and lose more valve lift. what is your push rod length, diameter and thickness?
10'' push rods, at an angle, are going to flex I don't care who you are.

Scott Stoneburg 05-16-2021 06:35 PM

I will check the length and wall thickness next time I'm in the shop. I dont remember off hand. 2 of them touch enough to bind when they are on the base of the cam. Not sure how I missed that when setting lash.

Dragncar 05-17-2021 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmissle (Post 6250515)
are they 1.8 rockers? you want them to just touch the block obviously, too much clearance lets it flex, and lose more valve lift. what is your push rod length, diameter and thickness?
10'' push rods, at an angle, are going to flex I don't care who you are.

You want the pushrods to touch the block ? While its running ? Using the block to help eliminate pushrod flex ?
How would you know the pushrod is flexing toward where it contacts the block ?
Am I missing something or is this a CV thing ?

Scott Stoneburg 05-17-2021 08:24 AM

Never heard of letting them touch the block before.
Intake pushrods are 9.925 X .165 wall
Exhaust pushrods are 10.125 X.165 wall.

Rockers are 1.8 ratio shaft rockers.

Scott Stoneburg 06-10-2021 03:24 PM

https://youtu.be/LpEQwLq9C5Q
Started it up today

Tom Vaught 06-10-2021 05:07 PM

SWEET, Apparently your engine stand trailer is working well too. Congrats.
Tom V.

Hooter 06-10-2021 06:45 PM

Looks good Scott. How soon before in the car?

Scott Stoneburg 06-10-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vaught (Post 6256765)
SWEET, Apparently your engine stand trailer is working well too. Congrats.
Tom V.

The stand/trailer worked out pretty well. Figured if I cant get the motor in the car soon then I'll just pull the engine to shows and Start it up...lmao...😂😂😂

Scott Stoneburg 06-10-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooter (Post 6256785)
Looks good Scott. How soon before in the car?

I going to make some calls tomorrow to see if I can get it on an engine dyno within a reasonable time frame. If so I'm doing that first. The 2 shops I know best both said they are 2 months out on time. If I can't get it on a dyno in a couple weeks then I'll put it inthe car. Have to build new exhaust and re-do the rear shock bar. Then I'll try and get to a chassis dyno.