PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tri-Power Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=569)
-   -   yellow throttle spring (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850781)

gtorich 05-26-2021 07:27 PM

yellow throttle spring

Never ever thought about it...........was getting an alignment today and the guy mentioned you dont have a problem with just that one yellow spring, what happens when that breaks.....................anyone else running a smaller spring inbetween the yellow one.

Just curious if anyone is using two springs.............i have never seen two springs in a pontiac tri power so far.

Rich

Brewster 05-26-2021 07:38 PM

I have seen the double yellow but only on a four barrel. Ive also single yellow and blue springs on quad jets. They never break unless played with allot taking them on and off. The double wasnt for redundancy it was for higher tension.

Daubert20 05-26-2021 07:38 PM

I run two springs. You need two to pass tech at our closest dragstrip, Island Dragway.

gtorich 05-26-2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daubert20 (Post 6253144)
I run two springs. You need two to pass tech at our closest dragstrip, Island Dragway.

if possible a pic would be great.

Rich

burd 05-26-2021 09:32 PM

Thought all 4 bbls had a blue and a yellow

60sstuff 05-26-2021 10:12 PM

Factory Springs

Throttle return springs for 64-67 GTO.

64-65 4BBL. and Tri-Power (single yellow).
66-67 4BBL. and Tri-Power (single blue).

turbo69bird 05-26-2021 11:31 PM

What happens you key the car to off! I know just happened to me last week on my 61 MGA when the cable got stuck. I wedged it part of the way open and drive it home too. Thank god it was a stick car made it fairly easy

Daubert20 05-27-2021 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picture attached of my two springs.

wbnapier 05-27-2021 11:35 AM

I had no idea there was a risk that the return spring would break. I did have an issue with the a nut falling off the linkage once and causing a problem. I use nylocks on them now.

burd 05-27-2021 02:54 PM

Nut holding the steering wheel can be an issue too

indymanjoe 05-27-2021 04:25 PM

Track tech made me put 2 on as well.never thought about it prior to that. Qjet 4bbl in my case. makes the fun pedal a little stiffer.

Jeff Hamlin 05-28-2021 04:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've always run two springs regardless of colors and correctness.
Even on my Cammers.

lust4speed 06-08-2021 04:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All three of my Fremont production GTO's came with a dual wrap yellow spring and I collected another half dozen or so springs in the local pick-a-parts back when we could find the early cars. Tension with both springs is very light and the double springs pass the tech inspections - well at least after I have the tech look a little closer. I hate the single spring that came on the 65's, and added a set on my '65 Tri-Power.

Dick Boneske 06-14-2021 04:00 PM

I've never seen a throttle spring break on a Tri-Power. Too much spring tension makes these setups virtually impossible to drive without the herky-jerky throttle problem. Rochester 2G carbs all have a spring under the accelerator pump that pushes the throttle plates closed--not as much pressure as the return spring, but it's significant.

The only reason I can think of to run dual springs is to satisfy a tech inspector.

Rich-Tripower 06-14-2021 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Boneske (Post 6257519)
I've never seen a throttle spring break on a Tri-Power. Too much spring tension makes these setups virtually impossible to drive without the herky-jerky throttle problem. Rochester 2G carbs all have a spring under the accelerator pump that pushes the throttle plates closed--not as much pressure as the return spring, but it's significant.

The only reason I can think of to run dual springs is to satisfy a tech inspector.

Last Summer I added a second spring because well some forms of logic seem to dictate that it is a good idea. And I've been experiencing that exact herky=jerky problem you mention. The throttle sticks right off idle and when you press harder to overcome the resistance you get more throttle than you want. I'm taking the second spring off with the hopes the smooth throttle function will return.

Dick Boneske 06-15-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower (Post 6257601)
Last Summer I added a second spring because well some forms of logic seem to dictate that it is a good idea. And I've been experiencing that exact herky=jerky problem you mention. The throttle sticks right off idle and when you press harder to overcome the resistance you get more throttle than you want. I'm taking the second spring off with the hopes the smooth throttle function will return.

That's exactly what I was referring to. The car is miserable to drive if there is too much throttle pressure. Sometimes, there is a problem with the throttle sticking just off idle (about 12-1500 rpm) This is very annoying, also. A stiffer return spring IS NOT the solution. Instead, fix the reason for the throttle sticking. I've found it usually happens only when the engine is hot. The only way I've found to fix it is to disassemble the center carb base and provide a minimum of .003" clearance between the brass shaft and the cast iron base. This is true whether the bas has had bushings installed or not. Evidently, as heat increases, the clearance decreases and causes sticking.

If anyone else has ideas on this issue, please chime in.

Rich-Tripower 06-15-2021 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Boneske (Post 6257712)
That's exactly what I was referring to. The car is miserable to drive if there is too much throttle pressure. Sometimes, there is a problem with the throttle sticking just off idle (about 12-1500 rpm) This is very annoying, also. A stiffer return spring IS NOT the solution. Instead, fix the reason for the throttle sticking. I've found it usually happens only when the engine is hot. The only way I've found to fix it is to disassemble the center carb base and provide a minimum of .003" clearance between the brass shaft and the cast iron base. This is true whether the bas has had bushings installed or not. Evidently, as heat increases, the clearance decreases and causes sticking.

If anyone else has ideas on this issue, please chime in.

My center carb has a basically brand new reproduction base.

gtorich 06-16-2021 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Boneske (Post 6257519)

Hey Dick..........im just gonna run the one spring...........with the adjustments you made when i was over by you.............car is running great.

Rich

60sstuff 06-17-2021 10:32 AM

This “2 springs” talk is kinda hilarious, when speaking of 64-67 Tempest Series automobiles.

First, the Pontiac engineers that designed these new cars didn’t see the need for 2 springs.

Second, if there was a problem with the springs breaking and possibly causing collisions, GM would be held responsible and sued.

Third, over decades of use, these single springs if installed as the factory intended will last forever ….. providing someone hasn’t done some other silly modification from factory stock.

Now, if someone were to stretch or damage a spring from the factory setting, than all bets are off.

grandam1979 06-17-2021 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60sstuff (Post 6258181)
This “2 springs” talk is kinda hilarious, when speaking of 64-67 Tempest Series automobiles.

First, the Pontiac engineers that designed these new cars didn’t see the need for 2 springs.

Second, if there was a problem with the springs breaking and possibly causing collisions, GM would be held responsible and sued.

Third, over decades of use, these single springs if installed as the factory intended will last forever ….. providing someone hasn’t done some other silly modification from factory stock.

Now, if someone were to stretch or damage a spring from the factory setting, than all bets are off.

There is a reason they went to two spring they got smarter same reason they did away with the tri power it was out dated just like almost everything becomes sooner or later. FYI new does not mean always better my $6000 zero turn broke a new spring in less than a hour after having it delivered