PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   61-66 Big Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=428)
-   -   1963 manual trans "automatic quadrant delete plate" (on dash) question (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847738)

jamesq 01-23-2021 10:05 AM

1963 manual trans "automatic quadrant delete plate" (on dash) question

I don't know the correct name for the auto delete plate, so sorry for the confusion!

I got a repro resin unit and have painted and Bare-Metal foiled it.

My question is - Is there a clear plastic "lens" mounted between it and the dash?

Thanks, James Q

brucee70 01-23-2021 11:20 AM

James ...for a floor shift car ....auto or manual that "shift selector" window area is covered up by the wood grain applique that goes on the dash ...just a longer continuous piece on a floor shift car.
Guy at " Wood Dashery" makes nice replacements....Google it. I haven't been on his website in years though.
Bruce

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

brucee70 01-23-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesq (Post 6218184)
I don't know the correct name for the auto delete plate, so sorry for the confusion!

I got a repro resin unit and have painted and Bare-Metal foiled it.

My question is - Is there a clear plastic "lens" mounted between it and the dash?

Thanks, James Q

I'll take a picture of mine if you'd like

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

61-63 01-23-2021 12:12 PM

'63 Catalina/Star Chief/Bonneville were the chrome piece and no plastic. '63 GP was the wood trim thing. If a Bonneville was ordered with buckets and a console it may have had the same dash as the GP I'm not sure.

jamesq 01-23-2021 12:59 PM

Thanks to both of you,

There is no trace of woodgrain on my dash and I do have a hole, so I'll mount it up as is!

James Q

brucee70 01-24-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesq (Post 6218253)
Thanks to both of you,

There is no trace of woodgrain on my dash and I do have a hole, so I'll mount it up as is!

James Q

James ...as far as I know ...all Bonnevilles had the wood grain - someone else please correct me if I am wrong.The wood grain was glued to aluminum plates that were then glued to that part of the dash. I will email you pictures ...

Bruce

jamesq 01-24-2021 02:10 PM

Thanks Bruce,
There appears to be a brown-yellowish residue on the dash facing, so you may be right! That would also explain why it was missing in the first place!

James Q

misterp266 03-04-2021 03:12 PM

Can you post up some dash pics? How did the foil come out? I also have the resin delete but installed it as is as I got it in gray and it looks pretty good to me.
Still looking for a heater delete though. Have a resin one but would like a real one to match the radio delete. My car is a Catalina Safari.
Car looks nice BTW!

jamesq 03-04-2021 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterp266 (Post 6230993)
Can you post up some dash pics? How did the foil come out? I also have the resin delete but installed it as is as I got it in gray and it looks pretty good to me.
Still looking for a heater delete though. Have a resin one but would like a real one to match the radio delete. My car is a Catalina Safari.
Car looks nice BTW!

Thanks, please see the picture below. The Bare Metal Foil worked OK, but there are imperfections. Probably my lack of expertise!

I also found out that I never had one of these since I have a Bonneville, so I don't need this one.

misterp266 03-04-2021 07:22 PM

Thanks.
Only Bonnevilles with a console and bucket seats would have the wood grain cover the hole. Otherwise they would have the delete plate.
You do need to post up more pics!

jamesq 03-05-2021 09:38 AM

Yes sir, that's what I have, a Bonneville w/4-spd, buckets and a console. The dash top is off, so I had relatively easy access to that area.
I will post pictures as I make progress. The interior , in the words of my granddaughter, "is all tored up".