PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   61-66 Big Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=428)
-   -   66 Bonneville Battery Hold Down Bracket (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853250)

gtoguys 09-13-2021 09:58 PM

66 Bonneville Battery Hold Down Bracket

My son has had his 66 Bonneville convert now for 15 years. All these years the battery has never been tied down. We went to the dragstrip for fun and when we had the car tech'd before racing, he was told that he couldn't because the battery was loose. That's when we noticed there wasn't a battery hold down bracket. I have been looking for that part but it's just not available anywhere. If I could see a picture of the top bracket, I could make one. Anyone have a picture of the bracket? Or a bracket for sale? Thanks in advance.

Heybuck 09-14-2021 09:26 AM

This has been raised in the past in this forum.

I found (purely by accident), that the battery hold down bracket from a 1993 Toyota HiAce van is identical. And I would think but I don't know for sure that the same bracket would have been used from about 1988 till at least up to 2000.

Some years ago, I was asked by our recently deceased member Brody (62BV) if I would get him one. Which I did and he was very very pleased with it.

Search this forum and you should find the thread.

misterp266 09-14-2021 10:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
While this is listed as a Buick one, it looks like it should work.
My ‘66 DOES NOT have the correct hold down but here’s a pic of where the one end goes into the radiator support and a pic of the Buick part. The other end gets a standard J hook bolt.

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts....?number=HD657B

gtoguys 09-14-2021 11:08 AM

Thank you very much guys for answering back so quickly. I will check the Toyota parts dept for the bracket. If they don't have it, I will try Fusick. As easy as it looks to make that bracket, I don't understand why nobody repops it? Again thank you and I will let you know what I come up with.

Stuart 09-14-2021 11:43 AM

The HiAce van was never sold in the US so that may not be a viable choice. Ames used to have a listing for a reproduction bracket, but the catalog shows it as discontinued. Try putting a wanted ad in the classified section here on the board.

gtoguys 09-14-2021 12:32 PM

Thanks for that info. I guess I will contact Fusick and get some dimensions from theirbracket.

stevep 09-14-2021 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heybuck (Post 6279844)
This has been raised in the past in this forum.

I found (purely by accident), that the battery hold down bracket from a 1993 Toyota HiAce van is identical. And I would think but I don't know for sure that the same bracket would have been used from about 1988 till at least up to 2000.

Some years ago, I was asked by our recently deceased member Brody (62BV) if I would get him one. Which I did and he was very very pleased with it.

Search this forum and you should find the thread.

Ian, maybe you should sell the Toyota bracket!

madeuce50 09-15-2021 08:40 AM

You might want to check with Les at Pontiac Paradise, he was working on getting one done after Ames discontinued theirs.

Heybuck 09-15-2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevep (Post 6280009)
Ian, maybe you should sell the Toyota bracket!

Not a bad idea. I might look into that although what I need to buy is some time!!

gtoguys 09-15-2021 09:08 PM

I ordered a hold down from Fusick's. I will report back here when I try it. As for Pontiac Paradise, I will call him after I try the Fusick part.

Jonsie 09-16-2021 11:18 AM

Been there, done that w/Les, done holding my breath. So I also ordered one from Fusick, should be here today.

Jonsie 09-17-2021 11:21 AM

Got the hold-down yesterday. Sturdy rubber coated piece. Looks like it will hold the battery snugly. Only problem is the "hook" end, won't slip into the factory hole in the support. I'll need to figure out how to get this connection to work

gtoguys 09-17-2021 12:32 PM

Maybe drill a new hole in the core support?

misterp266 09-17-2021 01:40 PM

Is it too thick with rubber coating or a bad angle? You may need the battery out of the way in order to get it through the hole.

Jonsie 09-17-2021 02:10 PM

Took some of the rubber off of the hook end so it's now thin enough to fit in the hole (from the top that is). Battery is out of the compartment. I'm thinking the multiple bends at the hook are too severe. I don't want to drill another hole at this time. I'll stay on this and report back

Jonsie 09-18-2021 12:42 PM

Well, I had to bend the last 1/2" of the hook straight up at a 90* angle. Slides under the core up into the factory hole. And it fits the Group 24 battery like a glove! Hold down is secured with a threaded bolt and u-nut held in the tray. Did not use a J-hook. Go to our hosts on-line Parts Catalog to see what's correct, on page #212:
PP122- shape of the hook end you'll need to modify on the Buick piece
PP131: correct bolt
PP 133L washer set
PP134 u-nut
Note this is for my '65 Cat, '66's should? be the same. Heads up to 'misterp266' for the Buick lead

Jonsie 10-09-2021 08:16 PM

Did anyone here ever purchase the Buick clamp and adapt it for use on our '65's??

PMDJIM 10-28-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madeuce50 (Post 6280184)
You might want to check with Les at Pontiac Paradise, he was working on getting one done after Ames discontinued theirs.

I used this one for my 66. These are not exact but do work. The bolt is a little long and the top hold down does not have the exact same bend for the core support hole. Some modifications are required.