PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   66-67 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Super Rare GTO (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853183)

60sstuff 09-11-2021 11:28 AM

Super Rare GTO

5 Attachment(s)
On auction.

1966 GTO Convertible, Tri-Power, 4 spd., Tiger Gold.

This would be a very special car to own.
Needs lots of work, but worth it.

242177P 09-11-2021 05:42 PM

Someone knew what they were doing when they ordered that.

Geoff 09-12-2021 04:09 AM

My 66 was original imported back in 66 & converted to RHD. It had quite a few options: alum front drums, wood wheel, p/w, p/b, p/s, AC, console, map reading lights, power antenna, light under the hood, L& R external mirrors, Night/day internal mirror, loud speakers in rear shelf.

66sprint6 09-12-2021 11:38 AM

Do you have a link to the auction?

DANTIP 09-12-2021 09:01 PM

66 GTO

Try this

https://ebay.us/A10yzj

camerjeff 09-13-2021 11:52 AM

I bet it was a looker new, and yes it is a rare car, but its already at over $32,000 reserve not met? With a BIN of $75,000?

That car needs a complete redo, what would be a realistic selling price if restored in today's Market? I can't imagine it would be much above $50,000? Or am I way out in left field?

I know its the special order paint color that seems to really get people exited on a 66. I personally never cared for the color and could not understand the Hype over it.

Just curios

60sstuff 09-13-2021 02:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Another ‘66 Tiger Gold which happens to be a low mileage Unrestored Survivor.

This example belonged to a late friend of mine.

The engine bay photo was taken in early 1967.
This pic is a great reference as to how it looked new.

ZeGermanHam 09-13-2021 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camerjeff (Post 6279563)
I bet it was a looker new, and yes it is a rare car, but its already at over $32,000 reserve not met? With a BIN of $75,000?

That car needs a complete redo, what would be a realistic selling price if restored in today's Market? I can't imagine it would be much above $50,000? Or am I way out in left field?

I know its the special order paint color that seems to really get people exited on a 66. I personally never cared for the color and could not understand the Hype over it.

Just curios

I'm with you on this one, Jeff. Personally, a BIN of $75k would meet my expectations for a car that was either fully restored to a high standard or was an unrestored original in excellent "time capsule" condition. I can't see paying $75k for a GTO that needs a full restoration, even if it has rare options. Unless it was owned by someone special, with extensive documentation... And yeah, Tiger Gold (or any gold paint) has never really appealed to me, either. But in the end, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay, so it'll be interesting to watch the auction unfold.

padgett 09-13-2021 04:44 PM

And mine is one of three. So was my '72 tow car. Whoopidy.

geeteeohguy 09-13-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam (Post 6279686)
I'm with you on this one, Jeff. Personally, a BIN of $75k would meet my expectations for a car that was either fully restored to a high standard or was an unrestored original in excellent "time capsule" condition. I can't see paying $75k for a GTO that needs a full restoration, even if it has rare options. Unless it was owned by someone special, with extensive documentation... And yeah, Tiger Gold (or any gold paint) has never really appealed to me, either. But in the end, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay, so it'll be interesting to watch the auction unfold.

I agree. Too much coin for a car that needs a complete re-do and is no longer nice enough to drive as-is. And I'm another guy who sees Tiger Gold or any gold of that era as a negative. The only way it looks decent is when it's done up in two stage with the mop and glo wet look effect...and then it's far from 'correct' looking. I remember as a kid, these gold cars had dead and flat paint when they were 3 or 4 years old. The solid colored cars held up years and years longer. Still, neat car. Will be interesting to see what it brings.

Jeff Hamlin 09-13-2021 07:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
That WAS a sharp car.
Sadly these days you would be upside down PDQ with a resto.

I think the Pontiac Golds and Silvers look great on the 66-67 body lines.

Not TIGER but a real sharp '66 belonging to one of our crew.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...14ff0064_b.jpg

Baron Von Zeppelin 09-22-2021 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60sstuff (Post 6279644)
Another ‘66 Tiger Gold which happens to be a low mileage Unrestored Survivor.

This example belonged to a late friend of mine.

Incredible car , whoever has it now is very proud and thankful i am sure.
Did he ever mention how/where he sourced that 1966 Dealer Invoice ?
Did the dealer give it to him ?
Or did he contact PMD at some point and they sent it to him ?
Am presuming he bought that car new .

Baron Von Zeppelin 09-22-2021 11:24 PM

Quote:

... what would be a realistic selling price if restored in today's Market? I can't imagine it would be much above $50,000?
It ended at $45,100 reserve not met.
Would have put it at about 35-40k as is
45 should have bought it, don't think it will ever see 50 , especially not 75
- not in practical senses anyway.
But i don't think they were exactly looking for practical people on this particular session anyhow.

Definitely over 100k after full frame off restored
It's a milestone car in stigma color, with a lot of the best/right stuff , and Convertible
Serious collector type material

Greg Reid 09-23-2021 10:27 AM

Dang, l like that car almost just the way it is. Some obvious stuff has to be done but if l had it I might just let the next owner worry about getting trophies.

geeteeohguy 09-23-2021 04:38 PM

With closer look at the amount of corrosion and general all-around poor condition, IMO the seller should have taken the 45k and run. I wouldn't be a player for half that price, preferring cars that were never neglected to that point in the first place.