PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Off to Pikeville NC (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873141)

72projectbird 04-13-2024 06:37 PM

Off to Pikeville NC

I'll be heading out at 5am tomorrow, going down to Pikeville NC. Picking up a 78 Y82 W72 4 speed Trans Am. Should be about a 12 hour trip one way. I'm thinking of just doing a cannonball run straight thru. Should be home Monday morning.

I'll post up pics during my journey.

Formulabruce 04-13-2024 10:50 PM

Cannonball that trip?? Wow!, be safe!!

72projectbird 04-14-2024 06:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulabruce (Post 6497922)
Cannonball that trip?? Wow!, be safe!!

Will do!

We're off...

hojs69 04-14-2024 10:34 AM

I used to do the Detroit to Tampa run down I-75.

Stay hydrated, stay reasonably fed (not too much)......helps stay alert.

Audio book can help.

72projectbird 04-14-2024 07:42 PM

Update:

Made it to Pikeville. The car was nothing like he described on the phone, or showed in pics. The rear tail panel, rails, quarters and floors were rotted to death. The driver quarter was eaten up past the side marker, and the rear window was ready to fall in.

All the pics he sent me, he conveniently kept that out of view. He said over the phone that it was a solid car, but in person he made excuses about how it's a 78, and needs to be restored.

****. I drove to NC for a $5 pulled pork sandwich.

SRR 04-14-2024 07:47 PM

That sucks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72projectbird (Post 6498086)
Update:

Made it to Pikeville. The car was nothing like he described on the phone, or showed in pics. The rear tail panel, rails, quarters and floors were rotted to death. The driver quarter was eaten up past the side marker, and the rear window was ready to fall in.

All the pics he sent me, he conveniently kept that out of view. He said over the phone that it was a solid car, but in person he made excuses about how it's a 78, and needs to be restored.

I think we all have had times like this.

b-man 04-14-2024 07:47 PM

Shop for cars in So Cal or somewhere in the southwestern United States.

Yes it’s more expensive but the extra few grand it costs to take home a clean dry southwestern car doesn’t buy much rust repair on an east coast car.

East coast stuff in good shape, good luck with that.

400 4spd. 04-14-2024 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72projectbird (Post 6498086)
Update:

Sweet tea and hush puppies too, I hope!

kingbuzzo 04-15-2024 05:20 PM

oh that sucks...ruins the cannonball excitement...did u lo ball or walk away?

4dblnkldude 04-15-2024 09:04 PM

I would be so pissed!!! How was the sandwich?

Baron Von Zeppelin 04-15-2024 10:26 PM

Sounds like that car came from somewhere else before NC .
That far inland it "should" have been solid.
Must have previously been coastal - or a transplant.
I'm more in the mid-state section and those cars can stay rust free or minimal rust if kept decently around here.

Totally unreal that a bastard would let someone come from that far away with such a fake representation.
Ungodly Bastard

jww 04-19-2024 10:23 AM

I agree with Baron Von..,,,,,,,,pretty despicable to let you do a trip of that distance when he knew he had junk!!