PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   year one honeycombs, new pic (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575372)

cliffhanger 09-26-2008 09:13 PM

year one honeycombs, new pic

maybe you guys remember me putting a pic of a brewster green T/A with
year one's honeycomb billet 18" remakes on it. If you dont, heres a reminder:

http://www.yearone.com/media/images/...20ta%20(2).jpg

I just noticed, there is now a lucy blue one on the site, with them honeycombs.
would like to share it with you guys:

http://www.yearone.com/media/images/...20loweredc.jpg

its a small picture I know, I'm hoping to recieve a larger one from Y1.

I personally have to admit that I do not really like the original pontiac honeycombs.
They are a cool thing to see, but I wouldn't want It on my car, just not that 'look' to it.
These however, I think, look awesome.
Even if there might be some football-ish look to it.
Don't know If I'd buy it though, those snowflakes are killer, too, and they are very, very expensive....

But I have to wonder...how would those honeycombs look when Chromed?!
Has anyone EVER seen a set of honeycombs chromed? (completely, that is)?

if you are interested in more info on the brewster green t/a, you can check it out here:
http://www.yearone.com/yodnn/ghostwo...1/Default.aspx

njsteve 09-26-2008 09:49 PM

I assume you mean the new 18" wheels in a chrome version since it is physically impossible to chrome the rubber face on the original honeycombs. I like the old ones but the new ones aint bad either for a tricked out street car.

keepat 09-26-2008 11:24 PM

The wheels are Awesome! Where can I get more info on the wheel size and tire size?
Thanks for the post!
Pat

cliffhanger 09-27-2008 06:29 AM

at www.yearone.com

here is the direct link:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/h...hid=418AI81983

you can order them there, they are $ 690 USD a piece for a 18x9 " version.
they run up to 12 wide, price skyrockets though, 18x12 " is $ 1200 USD a piece!
remember, that's WITHOUT the center cap & lugs!

Its not a question IF i'm gonna put on some 18's on my bird (when its restored, offcourse),
but WHICH one, and When. If i'd go for either the honeycombs or the snowflakes, both appeal me very, very much,
they would be 18x9's in the front and 18x10's in the back. that would make 3780 JUST for the wheels....
adding a set of tires, 255's in the front, and 295's in the back, makes a $ 1175 total for GoodYear Eagle F1's,
making a total of about $ 5,000.00 USD in total, and still, that's WITHOUT center caps & lugs!.

I can set that against a set of Coy's C-55's (boyd codd similar)
18x8 in the front, $ 275 a piece, 20x8,5 in the back, $ 350 a piece, making a total of 1250 USD for the wheels WITH CENTER CAP & LUGS
and a set of fusion zr1 tires (fusions dont go 295 wide thats why used GY on YearOnes, 10 wide needs 285 minimal as YearOne said),
245 in the front, 275 in the back, makes a total of $ 680 USD for the tires,
making a total of about $ 1,930.00 USD in total, WITH center caps & lugs.

so that makes a difference of at LEAST 3100 USD. And that's a LOT, as the Coys look GREAT too.....but true, not retro-original styled....

but as you'll see....its a LOT, LOT, LOT of money, those YearOnes....But then again. You would damn well be FAR more UNIQUE then ANY other set of wheels available for ANY car, actually....and if compared to 18x8 foose nitrous II's, or Torque Thrust II's, in same sizes, its not that much of a difference actually. a set of Foose NII's 18x9's are $ 525 USD VS a YearOne HC/SF 18x9's is a difference of about 165 USD a piece....
and those foose rims are all over the place by now....

One thing is sure....you'd steal the show, guaranteed to win some prizes at any show!

ps. I've send a question to year one as far as what they are possibly planning to do with the f-body line...atleast as far as the pontiacs then.
Regarding the BRE Trans Am's cool features (atleast, if youre interested in pro-modding / modernizing a classic icon) ; flush fit rear window, flush fit wheel flares, LED lights, etc.
I'm hoping they are willing to continue the trend for the first and original 2nd gen firebird/transams (1970-1973).

I wouldn't mind putting a flush-fit 70-74/5 only rear window, as for now its only available for the 75/6-81 rear window.....same would go for led tails, HID headlamps, fog lights, spoiler kits, etc....me thinks the painted screaming chicken on the BRE T/A looks awesome, and might look fine on a 70-73's version as well, though, off course, 70-72's shouldn't have a chicken on the hood......(not that an esprit is not awesome, but I would / and will promod a esprit over a original matching #'s t/a / formula at anytime, wouldnt dare touching t/a or formulas!)

anyway, ya never know with year one. I hope they'll grant me a satisfying answer, but I've contacted them before and all they answered before was a 'thank you for the interest in our product' and 'visit our website reguraly for updates'......

It's about time our underappreciated TRUE muscle cars get the attention and appreciation they truely DESERVE. Ain't fair 1st gen mustangs, camaro's, chally's and chargers get all the fun......

@ NJsteve ; well, actually I didn't know the honeycombs were covered with rubbery! I've seen them only ONCE on a driving Le Mans here in the NL's, didn't make it out of the pictures on the interwebz that they had a rubber coating....

Held for Ransom 09-27-2008 08:07 AM

I think the Year One 1969 tribute Trans Am convert that MuscleCar is building is using 18 x 9's. They can be seen on the 2008, episode 17 broadcast. Here is a snip of it... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CLE14C

bird72 09-27-2008 11:14 AM

Beware negativity enclosed :) I shouldn't critique, since I think large diameter rims on rare vintage cars is just wrong, but beyond that, they seem to lose the honeycomb look to me. The geometric effect just isn't there...... maybe too much shine helps hide it, but they look too flat or something, like less 3D effect, more 2D. From a distance, they look like a rim with cutouts is all. Sorry, I just don't see the appeal of the diameter, it looks silly, and the extremely expensive rims just don't look that good, artisticly..... feel free to throw rotten food at me :)

Tonyqt 09-27-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bird72 (Post 3428438)
Beware negativity enclosed :) I shouldn't critique, since I think large diameter rims on rare vintage cars is just wrong, but beyond that, they seem to lose the honeycomb look to me. The geometric effect just isn't there...... maybe too much shine helps hide it, but they look too flat or something, like less 3D effect, more 2D. From a distance, they look like a rim with cutouts is all. Sorry, I just don't see the appeal of the diameter, it looks silly, and the extremely expensive rims just don't look that good, artisticly..... feel free to throw rotten food at me :)

Just what he said:2cents: I feel the same way. I really don't like them.

cliffhanger 09-27-2008 12:32 PM

@ heldforransom; can't see the vid, restricted to US residents only.....:(

@bird72 & tonyqt; you're right though. it doesn't have that '3d' look as classic ones have, indeed. I agree there, these honeycombs and the snowflakes should have more 3d to it..
Guess that's due to the CNC machine fabrication...

70RAlll 09-27-2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

I, also, don't care much for them. But that is just my opinion. I would think those of use who really like the original OEM look wouldn't. There has been since day one, those who liked to "trick" their rides out,and them having the option to do so is a good thing in my opinion. But personally, I don't like the design and especially the size and the price is just plum crazy.. never understood putting $5000 grand worth of rims on a car.then again, it is vanilla/chocolate to me, something for everyone......

jayb53guy 09-27-2008 05:35 PM

I think they look great. I love the look of a big rim, or pro-touring look.

However comma....

That price is ludacris!!!! You can get a lot nicer looking wheels for a lot cheaper. Hell, some models of Foose and Coddingtons aren't that expensive!

keith k 09-27-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Ditto. Don't like these, plus they look very little like the originals (and I'm not even a huge fan of those...).

eaglesan13 09-27-2008 10:19 PM

Agreed!

Quote:

...I think large diameter rims on rare vintage cars is just wrong...

mike nixon 09-27-2008 10:31 PM

IMO those are butt ugly.

I like the originals, and don't mind a 16" rim on an oldercar but much more diameter than that doesn't interest me at all.

Yeah, I'm getting old.

MIke

pmdclassics 09-27-2008 11:16 PM

Way to much wheel for the car. The first thing you notice on the car is the wheels. The vintage muscle cars are so great because of the body style and engines not the wheels. The original Honeys are the coolest ever.

OVERULD 09-28-2008 11:22 AM

Year One's facility is 18 miles north of my home and I frequent their establishment for shows, cruise-ins, etc. I've seen these wheels in-person on the Lucy Blue TA. I personally don't like them - prefer the originals or Rally IIs much more. There will be a certain crowd who prefer this look and frankly - if I was going to do a resto mod on a TA I would proably put these on it....but I would never do a resto mod on a TA. Mine would have to be a true 71 TA in Lucy Blue with what it was born with!

BJ

cliffhanger 09-28-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVERULD (Post 3429377)
Year One's facility is 18 miles north of my home and I frequent their establishment for shows, cruise-ins, etc. I've seen these wheels in-person on the Lucy Blue TA. I personally don't like them - prefer the originals or Rally IIs much more. There will be a certain crowd who prefer this look and frankly - if I was going to do a resto mod on a TA I would proably put these on it....but I would never do a resto mod on a TA. Mine would have to be a true 71 TA in Lucy Blue with what it was born with!

BJ

ditto, with you a 200% there. Like I said....wouldn't touch a TA.
my esprit I dare to touch, but merely 'cause its not original, by the time I bought it,
and In need of a resto. Has it been a TA (same goes for a REAL formula, don't matter if it's a 350/400/455), I'd go full OEM on it....no question. But it ain't, so I don't feel the 'restriciton' there.... ;)

ps. overuld. IF you MIGHT have some high-res / more pictures of them wheels in real life. I'd appreciate it very much if you would send them to me by PM/mail....

1974formula 10-26-2008 04:50 AM

There are smaller 17x8" Honeycombs as well, p# NTR3417 listed in my new YEAR ONE catalog for $629.00 each.

I think these smaller ones with a little more tire would look better, sometimes bigger isn't the way to go.

They also list a smaller Snowflake, 17x8" or 17x9" for $519.00 each. BNW17178 & 9.
which would look right at home on a 77-78' ! :2cents:

cliffhanger 10-26-2008 11:43 AM

might be nice, but that's like the rallye 2's which if i recall correctly are available in a 17 inch repro.....unfortunately, i havent seen them on a pic EVER nor have I heard of ANYone ever having bought one....makes me doubt the quality and appearance of them....
in 2008, i'd expect to see on picture at least. but thats just me.....

still, i'd be very interested in seeing some pics :)

takid455 10-26-2008 02:06 PM

look like a soccer ball

2manyT/A'S 10-26-2008 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Sums up MY feelings/opinions on them pretty much to a T!

They are actually quite similar to the ones on my old C-30 car hauler but think the ones on my truck are quite a bit MORE attractive than the YI renditions are.

(perhaps due to smaller wheel,bigger tire & NO shiny going on)

NORWOOD & Lloyd; if you look closely (behind that ATTRACTIVE Budd Wheel) you can see the lowering blocks (aka overload spring spacers )that we were discussing the other day.

They've been supporting over 4000 lbs (with springs) regularly for over 34 years with out incident & provided YOUR springs are in good condition,the I" blocks should be FINE for spirited street driving with the occasional run down the track. (likely NOT suitable OR legal for a sub 12 second race car)