PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Body Shop TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Panel bond for full quarter panel (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850322)

many birds 05-05-2021 10:44 PM

Panel bond for full quarter panel

I’m planning to do a full quarter panel and outer wheel house replacement on my ‘75 T/A. I plan to use a MIG welder for the wheel house. I’m wondering if panel bond is an option on the quarter panel instead of welding?

many birds 05-10-2021 09:17 AM

Has no one on here tried this?

Greg Reid 05-10-2021 09:48 AM

I've never used panel bond but wondering how you would do it on a very large panel like that. Do you have to apply the bond around the entire perimeter of the panel and then place it before it starts setting up? Do you have time to make adjustments...or what?

rustedgoat 05-10-2021 10:04 AM

I'm not a body man, but I remember reading that welded metal stays in place where the bonded areas can expand at different rates under the painted surface. Cars that have bonded panel from the factory are designed that way. In a way that its one piece (door panel, hood, roof ..) but on an f-body that quarter panel has that seam going to the roof.

dhutton 05-10-2021 05:02 PM

It’s ok for the quarter to wheel house but you should weld the sail panel, rocker, and where it meets the tail panel.

If you read the instructions it will tell you nothing structural should be panel bonded.

Don

n20ta2 05-11-2021 07:14 AM

That's what I did, I bonded my outer wheel house to the quarter but welded everything else.

many birds 05-11-2021 03:33 PM

Ok so no panel bond for structural stuff. But it’s ok on the wheel well lip. Which is good since I’m not good at the inverted welds.

How do I weld the area between the wheel well and door jamb at the bottom of the quarter welded? It where the quarter attaches to the rocker. There doesn’t appear to be any access from the inside.

The car is a ‘75 T/A.

BB70 05-11-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by many birds (Post 6249177)
Ok so no panel bond for structural stuff. But it’s ok on the wheel well lip. Which is good since I’m not good at the inverted welds.

How do I weld the area between the wheel well and door jamb at the bottom of the quarter welded? It where the quarter attaches to the rocker. There doesn’t appear to be any access from the inside.

The car is a ‘75 T/A.

I used panel bond on 2 areas I couldn't get to with the mig gun when I put my quarters on. The rocker to quarter and the short flange between the trunk and rear glass on my 70 GTO. I wish I would have done it at the wheelhouse for the sealing aspect of it tho.

John

400 4spd. 05-11-2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by many birds (Post 6249177)
..............How do I weld the area between the wheel well and door jamb at the bottom of the quarter welded? It where the quarter attaches to the rocker. There doesn’t appear to be any access from the inside.

The car is a ‘75 T/A.

Through the jamb's vent grill opening.