PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   66-67 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   1967 GTO HO (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853708)

60sstuff 10-04-2021 04:20 PM

1967 GTO HO

5 Attachment(s)
BaT auction.

Cool, rare car.

1967 WV code. Total production, 914.

Still retains all the goodies under the hood that an 360 HP HO 4 speed would have.

Only thing I see missing is the snorkel air cleaner, tube from air cleaner to valve cover and hose from pump to air cleaner.

Fix the interior and all the mechanics and drive. It will be a looker.

This car came with black painted wheels and standard hub caps originally.

Sloan66 10-04-2021 04:49 PM

Love the pinstripes on the glove box! Head Rest car!!

Greg Reid 10-05-2021 02:13 AM

Nice. Here's the direct link.. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-pontiac-gto-47/

DANTIP 10-05-2021 06:30 AM

WV

Interesting to see a California smog car built in Pontiac, MI rather than Fremont, CA??

Sloan66 10-05-2021 09:29 AM

Boxed Upper control arms

60stuff educated me yesterday on the upper control arms being boxed. Searched forum today for more pics and info. Here is more proof of HO cars receiving them, if you watch the video you will see them.

60sstuff 10-05-2021 10:23 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The ‘67 HO and Ram Air cars were built with some unique components.

1) With the heavy duty rear axle you received upper rear control arms that were “half boxed”. You can also see the frame stiffeners in the first two photos.

2) Another feature of these cars were the two front brake lines had cooling coils wrapped around them because of the heat generated from the large exhaust manifolds.

3) Last photo shows the wire harness and positive battery cable for these cars which travels down the front left side of the engine, along the block, through a sleeve mounted to the LH motor mount and ending at the special starter solenoid.

ZeGermanHam 10-05-2021 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANTIP (Post 6284775)
Interesting to see a California smog car built in Pontiac, MI rather than Fremont, CA??

I made that comment in the auction site, too. The car was said to have been in Ohio and Colorado, but no mention of spending time in California but it has a solid floor and CA black plates. I'm no expert, but I wasn't expecting to see a Pontiac built GTO with smog equipment.

60sstuff 10-05-2021 11:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam (Post 6284832)
I made that comment in the auction site, too. The car was said to have been in Ohio and Colorado, but no mention of spending time in California but it has a solid floor and CA black plates. I'm no expert, but I wasn't expecting to see a Pontiac built GTO with smog equipment.

This car sold New in California. That’s why it has Original period ‘67 Black and Yellow plates.

Paperwork backs it up.

I know of several 66-67 Smog cars that were built back East and sold New in California.

ZeGermanHam 10-05-2021 11:58 AM

Thanks for the info. Would building a smog-equipped car and shipping it across the country to CA been somewhat of an infrequent occurrence? Any idea on why the Fremont plant wouldn't have been solely responsible for building all the A.I.R. cars?

george kujanski 10-05-2021 12:15 PM

"two front brake lines had cooling coils wrapped around them because of the heat generated from the large exhaust manifolds"

I have always wondered what the purpose for these were. I've heard of them referred to as rock shields, but I have no idea.

What are they? Could they be there to prevent kinking during bending?

George

60sstuff 10-05-2021 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by george kujanski (Post 6284842)
"two front brake lines had cooling coils wrapped around them because of the heat generated from the large exhaust manifolds"

I have always wondered what the purpose for these were. I've heard of them referred to as rock shields, but I have no idea.

What are they? Could they be there to prevent kinking during bending?

George

George,

Those coils wrapped around the front brake pipes / lines are exactly what I said, they help dissipate the heat from the brake line because of those Large Hot exhaust manifolds.

They weren’t used in the bending of the brake pipes as “Non” HO / Ram Air cars do not have these coils.

Notice that the brake lines running down the frame and to the rear drums do not have these cooling coils.

MPC showing these cooling shields listed for the ‘67 HO and RamAir.

Chris

gto19 10-05-2021 12:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is some pics of the coils wrapped around the brake lines from my car

60sstuff 10-05-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gto19 (Post 6284850)
Here is some pics of the coils wrapped around the brake lines from my car

There is a good example from a ‘67 HO.
Notice how the coils are located right next to where those Hot manifolds would be.

Thank you Eric.

ZeGermanHam 10-05-2021 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 60sstuff (Post 6284849)
Notice that the brake lines running down the frame and to the rear drums do not have these cooling coils.

It's kinda hard to see in the photos above, but the spiral shielding was used on the fuel & brake lines near the rear of the car where they pass through and over the driver side mounting bracket for the lower control arm. If you go to the original Bring A Trailer listing and look at the higher resolution photos, you can see it (also see attached photo from the BaT listing).

My '66 had them in that rearward location from factory, as did all A-bodies I would assume. So to say the spiral shielding was used exclusively for heat protection is not entirely accurate. In the forward location on this H.O., they helped protect from heat. In the rearward section, they helped protect from abrasion.

Edit: I just had a thought... Could the spiral coils have been used in the rearward section to protect from heat generated by the muffler rather than for protection from abrasion? Maybe it serves both purposes?

60sstuff 10-05-2021 01:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mr. Ze,

Good observation!

I agree with you. At the rear they probably needed that extra layer of protection from possible crushing / damaging of the brake pipes in tight areas.

Here are clearer photos of the front brake pipes that were posted above.

OG68 10-05-2021 01:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Agree with all the above but...
what about from the master cylinder to the distribution block?
No exhaust heat at the top, at the bottom by the distribution block, yes.
Why protection near the MC?

ZeGermanHam 10-05-2021 01:48 PM

Ed: I have always wondered about that as well.

johnta1 10-05-2021 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Would building a smog-equipped car and shipping it across the country to CA been somewhat of an infrequent occurrence? Any idea on why the Fremont plant wouldn't have been solely responsible for building all the A.I.R. cars?

I think Pontiac did it for work flow mainly? If Fremont had too many cars on order (for the week/month?), Pontiac plant would build some to fill in the flow.

Here's the BHC with some info on it:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...1&d=1633458087

:)

Keith Seymore 10-05-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnta1 (Post 6284870)
I think Pontiac did it for work flow mainly? If Fremont had too many cars on order (for the week/month?), Pontiac plant would build some to fill in the flow.

:)

This is correct.

Final assembly location was not assigned solely on geography, but could also be assigned based on unique content or to fill in additional production volume to meet demand.

K

60sstuff 10-05-2021 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very good discussion on the use of the brake line shield.

I’ve never seen this coiled metal shield on 64-66 Tempest Series cars in the engine bay.

I have seen it starting in 1967 below the master cylinder.

I’m going to assume the automotive industry used this shielding for Flex and heat related reasons.
Heat rises and the master cylinder is up top. You want to prevent heated brake fluid in that cylinder.

Flex - master cylinder is fixed to body.
Distribution block is on the frame, which flexes with the body.

My initial statement pertained to the HO and Ram Air front brake pipes.
There is no flexing on those as they are clamped to the frame before they mate to a rubber hose at the inner fender skirt. Plus no close proximity to rubbing, crushing, etc.

I’ve owned three ‘67 HO cars over 45 years of collecting GTO’s and all of them had the T/8 “SHIELD, brake pipe” that’s listed in the MPC for the High Performance ‘67.