PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   69-77 Grand Prix TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=435)
-   -   69 4 Speed Grand Prix (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861580)

KareeB 09-16-2022 04:29 PM

69 4 Speed Grand Prix

Hey guys,
I'm Karee and I am new to the forum.
I love the 69 and 70 GP's because I had two of them as a kid and loved them.

I found a 69 4 speed 428 car with A/C that I am looking at buying and doing a frame off resto.

It is all there but interior is toast. Engine and trans is good and number matching.
We own a auto repair shop so will do all the work ourselves.

Car is not rusted out so minimal rust repair... YAY.

My question is this. What is a 4 speed that needs a total resto worth?
It is also a hood tach car which is really cool.

Hope it is ok to ask the value question. Was not sure where to post a general question like that.
Karee

I suppose it is worth what I am willing to pay

'ol Pinion head 09-16-2022 05:52 PM

Values are all over the map on 69-70 GP's. 428 & 4speed are close to top of the food chain. Hope the car has the intact console top plate & ashtray. Being a factory AC 428 stick car, going to be a 370 horse 428. Great factory colors boost value. PHS show the hood tach? Can't remember running across a 69 or '70 GP with a factory installed hood tach (on PHS copy). A bunch of '69's, have inspected had owner installed dash tachs in place of the original clock.

How deep youre going to be buried in it comes down to how solid & straight a car, & how nice of original interior pieces still exists. Really nice exterior trim & valances help a lot. Some '69 GP parts are easy find: decent taillights, hood hinges, radios. Other parts like perfect '69 parking lamps are made of unobtanium. The molded '69 only lower door panels typ are alway bad, & one of the few items JustDashes will get my $$$$ on. At least $1600-$1800 to replate the front & rear bumpers. Nice undamaged fan shrouds are getting tough, hope you manage to get the original manual trans radiator core, even if it's damaged.

KareeB 09-16-2022 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head (Post 6372884)
Values are all over the map on 69-70 GP's. 428 & 4speed are close to top of the food chain. Hope the car has the intact console top plate & ashtray. Being a factory AC 428 stick car, going to be a 370 horse 428. Great factory colors boost value. PHS show the hood tach? Can't remember running across a 69 or '70 GP with a factory installed hood tach (on PHS copy). A bunch of '69's, have inspected had owner installed dash tachs in place of the original clock.

How deep youre going to be buried in it comes down to how solid & straight a car, & how nice of original interior pieces still exists. Really nice exterior trim & valances help a lot. Some '69 GP parts are easy find: decent taillights, hood hinges, radios. Other parts like perfect '69 parking lamps are made of unobtanium. The molded '69 only lower door panels typ are alway bad, & one of the few items JustDashes will get my $$$$ on. At least $1600-$1800 to replate the front & rear bumpers. Nice undamaged fan shrouds are getting tough, hope you manage to get the original manual trans radiator core, even if it's damaged.

Well,
I have a 70 GP Donor car that has a great interior that I can use and I have a nice dash. Good point on the radiator core. I will check on that. I have a perfect fan shroud. It does have the console top plate and ashtray.. With the donor car I will have most of what I need including the carb. Color is green and I will have to change it to a triple black car for sure. Not into green personally and I had a 69 triple black back in the early 70's. Yep, I am old... LOL

KareeB 09-16-2022 06:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 598785[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

'ol Pinion head 09-16-2022 07:13 PM

'69 doors & door panels are different than '70's. On a '69 you squeeze the recessed door handle down in the plastic cupped area. Its a novel feature for a '69.

Molded console style GP dash asms interchange between '69-72. Unfortunately, not as easy to properly remove as one out of a '69-72 LeMans or GTO. On a GP, after the seats, column, console, & radio are out, windshield comes out, then molded dash assembly. The clips on the leading edge are a pain.

Colors combo's.. If the car is originally midnight green with black top & black buckets it will be VERY sharp restored, most Pontiac guys would be hesitant to change those colors. There were 3 greens for '69, could safely say most of us are not as endeared with the '69 limelight green on '69 GP's or Palisade green on a '70 GP.

Had in mid 90's a Black '70 model J 455 with gauges, tilt, & partial leather interior. Buckets were gone :( Was going to cost a small fortune to restore the front & rear leather seats. Ended up leaving here after hauled in '69 428HO project car.

Ram4king 09-18-2022 01:20 AM

Man you are taking on one hell of a project I see years and alot of money to bring this back. No 69-71 Grand prix ever left the factory with a hood tach. My honest opinion is buy a better car to start with. Especially since you are changing color.

1stgenbird 01-03-2023 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KareeB (Post 6372900)
Well,
I have a 70 GP Donor car that has a great interior that I can use and I have a nice dash. Good point on the radiator core. I will check on that. I have a perfect fan shroud. It does have the console top plate and ashtray.. With the donor car I will have most of what I need including the carb. Color is green and I will have to change it to a triple black car for sure. Not into green personally and I had a 69 triple black back in the early 70's. Yep, I am old... LOL

If you're interested in selling the console, let me know. I am in the middle of a 69 GP project and converting from a auto to a 4 speed.

Thanks,

Doug

694.1 01-03-2023 07:07 PM

Most cool project but the p/o certainly did that car no favors!

70gp 01-03-2023 09:11 PM

I don't have to tell you that most restorations are money pits and not a money making operation. A 4 speed GP w/428 is one car that will be worth the money far into the future due to their rarity. Unrestored value is a tough one. I do hope you get it and post lots of pictures of your restoration !